HDMI is not working

ghost1

Nov 24, 2015
I recently bought a new GPU (GEFORCE GT 720) and when i first got it, i used VGA cable. however, today i tried to connect the HDMI cable from the graphics card to the monitor and it didnt work, it gave me blank black screen. all my drivers are updated and i have tried 3 different HDMI cables and still not working.

i am curious about this issue. is the port itself doesnt work maybe ? or there's something to change from the BIOS settings ? or my screen resolution is affecting ?

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Does it show the POST screen when you power up the system?

That's the first thing you should see, even before the drivers come into play.

Make sure only the hdmi is connected, turno on the monitor then power up the system. It should show the POST and proceed to boost from there.

Also see if the monitor has a source selector and set it to hdmi.

Do you have any other hdmi devices you could connect to the monitor and see if these work?

ghost1

Nov 24, 2015
Does it show the POST screen when you power up the system?

That's the first thing you should see, even before the drivers come into play.

Make sure only the hdmi is connected, turno on the monitor then power up the system. It should show the POST and proceed to boost from there.

Also see if the monitor has a source selector and set it to hdmi.

Do you have any other hdmi devices you could connect to the monitor and see if these work?

No nothing appears on the screen only blank black screen and it says no signal and yes I have tried to connect my MacBook Pro with the HDMI cable and it worked fine. Do you think the HDMI is not working because im using 240w psu as my gpu recommends 300w psu ?

Last edited:

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
If your system continues to boot after the POST then no it's not your psu. If the system hangs altogether then it could be your psu. But since it's working fine in VGA mode, that can't be it.

We are probably looking at a faulty HDMI port on the 720.

If it has any other digital outputs however, you could use those.

For example its DVI port with a DVI to HDMI adaptor.

Also welcome to the forums. :)