HDMI card?! -- or HDMI TO DVI cable?!

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I have a 8800GTS G92 512mb card....and I recently purchased a LCD TV that does 1080i, and VGA. I hook it up to the computer, and the resolutions via VGA are only 1366x766...which makes sense. I grabbed an HDMI cable and hooked up my M1330 to it and I was getting 1900 and better resolutions!

SO, sadly this cards amazing, but I want the equivalent with HDMI...if possible!

or, would getting a DVI to HDMI cable be perfectly fine?

like this?!?!?! or this

It looks like there is one minor issue with a cable like that!!!

Cons: The cable smells odd. I'm guessing it is not safe to chew or sniff the cable, so if you like to do either buyer beware.

I also noticed how the quality of the picture is a bit dimensioned via my laptop HDMI to the LCD TVs HDMI...is it the laptops issue or the TVs you think?

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
I have no issues using DVI > HDMI cable from newegg sending stuff to my Samsung TV. I can run it at full 1080p resolution with no problems. This is coming from the same gfx card as you have in your desktop.

About the loss of quality issue, I'm not too keen on laptops but my guess is that's where the issue lies. Grab the cable, it's cheap so either way you're not out much money, but I find it pretty handy to have.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
This is great, I am REALLY glad I dont have to buy a new card, haha. Which one would you prefer? the gold plated one, or the other?

Is gold plated even that big of a deal? Seems rather gimmicky.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Has anyone ever had issues with resolutions by doing this? Or was it just my laptop?

THe picture being kind of grainy, or choppy? Are there any settings I should do on my LCD TV?

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Has anyone ever had issues with resolutions by doing this? Or was it just my laptop?

THe picture being kind of grainy, or choppy? Are there any settings I should do on my LCD TV?

If you're just doing a straight-shot from your video card to a projector/lcd/monitor with a DVI-HDMI then you shouldn't have any problems. If you're going through an HDMI/DVI splitter or a HDMI receiver then you may get some hand-shake problems, especially if sound is involved.

But ya I would most certainly go the monoprice cable route for $5-10 first. I'm using 3-4 HDMI/DVI cables from them without any problems, although the 4-way HDMI switch I got from them is a bit flaky.