HDMI Cables Advice

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
Just looking for advice and info about HDMI cables. I do know stay away from Monster Cables, and other so called premium cables. I have bought cables from Monoprice and liked the price and service.
What is the difference between the 28 ga. and 24 ga. and high speed series and thin cable series and so on sold on Monoprice. I know the gauge is wire thickness but how will the thicker wire affect the signal, etc?
When I buy the length will be around 6ft and my use will be just to connect the dvr to the tv and connect to my receiver and to the dvd or blu ray player.
Thanks

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
HDMI is all digital. So if it works at all, its working as good as it can. I just buy the Amazon branded cables.

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
If I remember correctly the "high speed" designation came out with the HMDI 1.4 standard. "How will it affect the signal", in no way that you can hear.
Stay with monoprice and save your money.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
What is the difference between the 28 ga. and 24 ga.

Those numbers refer to the thickness of the cables

For most of us, I don't think it matters which one you choose.

and high speed series and thin cable series and so on sold on Monoprice.

I think the "high speed" cables you are referring to are the ones with the Redmere technology. Basically, what happens in a normal HDMI cable is that the longer the run between the devices, the more the signal loses quality. With the Redmere cables, you can do those long runs without worrying about signal loss.

The thin cables are just a matter of preference, really.

Of course, you can ask monoprice directly and they can send you some info on it.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Monoprice is good. So is NewEgg's Rosewell and Amazon Basic.

If you wanna spend a little more on thin HDMI cables then go with RedMere. Monoprice will replace them if they ever die too (Lifetime Warranty).

As long as the jacket and connections seem solid then you're fine. I don't think anyone has issues with the stores I listed. Now keep in mind with any mass produced item you may get a defect in which the Company will do an exchange anyways.

Think of HDMI cables like USB or Sata cables. If they work they are good. If not replace em.

They all send 1's and 0's.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Monoprice is good. So is NewEgg's Rosewell and Amazon Basic.

If you wanna spend a little more on thin HDMI cables then go with RedMere. Monoprice will replace them if they ever die too (Lifetime Warranty).

As long as the jacket and connections seem solid then you're fine. I don't think anyone has issues with the stores I listed. Now keep in mind with any mass produced item you may get a defect in which the Company will do an exchange anyways.

Think of HDMI cables like USB or Sata cables. If they work they are good. If not replace em.

They all send 1's and 0's.

+1 to Monoprice.

Almost all my cables have come from there these days.

Even bought 100 foot of oxygen free heavier gauge speaker wire there awhile back which effected things more than I expected it would at a reasonable price.

http://www.monoprice.com/

Last edited:

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Same here.

Also it should be added that RedMere does do ARC too. (Some people are confused by this since the cable seems to be a one way cable with one end for Display and the other Source. It does support the Audio Return Channel.)

I run a 50ft from my PC to my TVs reciever. Does surround and 3D just fine.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
Most people have covered everything but to make it simpler:

The lower the gauge the thicker the wire. The thicker the wire the greater distance you can run. Monoprice has very clear labeling on how long a cable can handle how high a bandwidth. Higher bandwidth is necessary for higher resolutions (720p/1080p) and deeper colors (8bit/10bit). That's really the difference between "highspeed" and "normal speed."

Redmere is an exception. They are thin and can run very long lengths with great signals. This can be highly advantageous when fat cables can be a pain. There is a price you pay for the thinner cable. I have a 50ft 22 AWG cable for my projector. The thing just doesn't bend well. Unfortunately redmere wasn't out at the time, otherwise I would have gone with that instead.

I like monoprice for all things cable oriented. They don't use any marketing bullshit. You know exactly what the cable can handle when you buy it.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I've used monoprice for everything cable related since I found them. Can't go wrong there. Cheap and the quality is fine.

JK Saabh

Sep 20, 2014
I picked up mine from monoprice too. Picked up their redmere HDMI cables for my 30' runs.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Just curious but why would you keep gear 30' away from the TV?

JK Saabh

Sep 20, 2014
Just curious but why would you keep gear 30' away from the TV?

My a/v equipment is hidden from view in a media rack under the stairs. My projector is quite a distance away, hence I need long-ish cables.

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
HI
As usual I am slow getting back here!!! LOL
Thanks for the replies and suggestions!
Pghpooh