HDMI and component connections... Straight to TV or use receiver?

Chris2wire

Oct 20, 2004
Ok I have x360, dvd player and digital cable box.

I have an a/v receiver with 2 hdmi in, component in, and hdmi out to tv.

Heres my question... x360 uses component connection. Should I hook that component connection up to the a/v receiver, hook the dvd hdmi out to the receiver, the cable box hdmi out to the receiver, and run it all through the hdmi out on the receiver to the tv?

Or... Should I hook all 3 of those things straight to the tv since it has component in and 2 hdmi in, with the digital audio connections running straight from the components to the receiver?

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
May as well hook directly to the receiver, and then have just one cable going to the TV. You won't get any picture quality benefits, but it'll look cleaner as a setup.

Chris2wire

Oct 20, 2004
Actually my worry was picture degradation because its hooked through one more source... Does that happen with digital hookups?

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
well you don't have that many components, but IMO it all depends on the accessibility and functionality of your TV and your AV. which one is easier to add/remove components? does your av offer any functionality over your tv? (which it probably does).

=|

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Chris2wire
Actually my worry was picture degradation because its hooked through one more source... Does that happen with digital hookups?

Nope, if you use digital, IIRC, if the signal gets there, then it's 100% quality.

Chris2wire

Oct 20, 2004
If I use the AV, that means I need 3 hdmi cables total... 2 to the a/v, and one leaving it.

If I go straight to the tv then I need two total, straight to the tv... But then I need an extra optical cable to the a/v (dvd uses coaxial digi audio).

So, I need 3 expensive cables no matter what. The question is is it 3 hdmi cables, or 2 hdmi cables and one optical audio.

If you guys think hdmi video will not degrade going through the receiver, and if you think audio via hdmi will be as good as optical, then ill just do 3 hdmi cables to reduce clutter...

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
I have a 360 and a tv with hdmi and a dish network reciever with hdmi. i just hook my stuf fup to the tv and audio to the reciever.