Question HDMI 2.1, is it coming soon to a video card or display?

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I've been reading bits and pieces about HDMI 2.1 coming soon, but I don't see it yet in either video card descriptions or displays. Is it coming soon, worth waiting for etc?

Seems like its good for gaming, sync, and generally the higher display rates, but if its not showing up on a $150 or video card soon, its kind of NA to me.

Mar 11, 2004
I'm guessing it'll be next year before we see it on a $150 card, since I think those were the last cards to be released of the previous gen (Turing and RDNA1) and the next gen ones are due later this year (and I'd guess late enough that the lower ones get pushed to next year). And yes its a disappointment, and it'll be doubly so since when those come out it'll probably lack DP2.0, although maybe they can be updated for it later. I think there was some talk about that with HDMI 2.1 but I kinda doubt that happens.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I've been reading bits and pieces about HDMI 2.1 coming soon, but I don't see it yet in either video card descriptions or displays. Is it coming soon, worth waiting for etc?

Seems like its good for gaming, sync, and generally the higher display rates, but if its not showing up on a $150 or video card soon, its kind of NA to me.
Why the need for it to be on a budget card? The only real change is bandwidth for higher resolutions and refresh rates, which wont have any impact on a lower end card.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Resolution and refresh don't drive cost as much as features for games, where my system is mostly easy to display games and playback of media content. I expect at least some cards to be competing with "Roku" type devices to feed large movie oriented displays.

OTOH I am fully prepared to take the "Roku" type box option if the video cards are dragging their feet, which is all moot of course if I am still waiting on displays to show up with 2.1.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS