hdmi 1.3 vs hdmi 1.4

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kristijonas, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kristijonas

Kristijonas Senior member

Hello, I want to choose a hdmi cable for my gtx 550ti to connect to Dell S2340L.

It's either a oxygenless copper, golden plated one 1.3:
    https://www.skytech.lt/04857oem-4wo...tas-nailonu-paauksuotas-18m-oem-p-129491.html

or

A "premium" (I don't know what it actually means) hdmi cable that is 1.4:
    https://www.skytech.lt/ccphdmi46-cable-hdmihdmi-18m-v14premium-ccphdmi46-gembird-p-70896.html

Is it possible to see a difference in quality or lets say 1fps in games because of the choice if hdmi? For example the very best hdmi cable vs the cheapest one?
    Do I really need 1.4 or should I go with that quality 1.3? But then perhaps 1.4 is also faster behind the scenes somehow?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - hdmi hdmi Forum Date
    Do a hdmi to Dvi adapter work for shimian qh270? General Hardware Dec 1, 2016
    Mini-ITX, ECC and VT-d, HDMI out .. does anything like this exist? General Hardware Mar 16, 2016
    New computer / old monitor = hdmi no signal General Hardware Mar 13, 2016
    Audio using HDMI from video card - Passthrough from Mobo/Soundcard? General Hardware Dec 16, 2015
    Any (affordable) hardware for transmitting HDMI over WIFI? General Hardware Mar 22, 2015

3. JimKiler

JimKiler Platinum Member

I think a 1.3 version should be just fine for you, per wikipedia, 1.4 adds:

There is also HDMI 1.4a and b. But most of this stuff is for home theater and for the chips at the ends of the cable, not the cable itself.

4. JimKiler

JimKiler Platinum Member

Actually if you read a little further down on the wikipedia page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI_1.4#Version_1.4 assuming you are at 32 bit color depth if you need a resolution above 1920x1200 you need version 1.4, but again that means your video card and monitor are 1.4 compliant.

5. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

According to HDMI.org, cables are no longer supposed to be labeled with specification versions. Only "High-Speed", "High-speed with ethernet", "normal speed", and "normal speed with ethernet".

So as long as it's a high-speed cable, you're good to go. Whether or not your output device or display device supports certain features, is what depends on the spec version number, not the cable.

6. mfenn

mfenn Elite Member <br> Currently on <BR> Moderator Sabb
    Super Moderator

There is no physical difference between an HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.4 (non Ethernet) cable. They were just tested at a given spec, and the manufacturer may not have gone back and re-tested.

7. piasabird

piasabird Lifer

HDMI Cables should not cost that much. If all you want is a cable long enough to go from your Computer to your monitor 1-6ft, then you can probably find some lightweight 1.4 cables that will work just fine. There are a lot of cable internet sellers. So shop around. Where things might get important is if you want cables that are 25-100 ft long.

I thought it kind of odd that monitors would have only VGA and HDMI. I think technically you can send 2 video sources over one HDMI cable, so for one monitor at 1080p almost any HDMI cable will work fine. I dont know how this figures into the 3D video model?