Question HDD not recognized on Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 (rev. 3.0)

N3Star

May 22, 2020
Hello, I am having a problem with recognizing hard drives on that motherboard - none of 7 different drives (all SATA II, everything powered by Chieftec 400w PSU, all of them are recognized on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R) is preset in BIOS, Windows 10 installer recognized WD drive (haven't tried others) when SATA on board is set as RAID function, both AHCI and native IDE have no effect, what is more board seems unresponsive for a couple seconds on POST when drive is hooked up. I've tried older bioses, such as Fd, currently on FEh, bios reseted countless times, drives scanned with MHDD; northbridge is a little chipped on right top corner (maybe a quarter millimeter is gone), but it was working earlier with one of the drives, southbridge replaced SATA cable - no change whatsoever. Any ideas what should I try next?

Edit: I left it without battery for night and it worked... until I saved settings in Bios, after that back to the problem. Quick clear CMOS (battery out + jumper shorted) seems to have no effect on it.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had a "Chieftec 400W PSU" once, on an Athlon XP rig. It would make my HDDs spin down after the 3D drivers booted up on my ATI X800 card. Replaced it with a SuperFlower 550W, all was good.

Try replacing your PSU, if your HDDs aren't being detected (none of them).

N3Star

May 22, 2020
OK, i did some quick tests with PSU I intend to run this system with - be quiet Dark Power pro P7 650w (why I use Chieftec? I bought bqt without cables and made them from old, broken unit, but they like to slide out from their place, but in case they should be just fine + original ones are stupidly expensive), but nothing changed, no drive is recognized after saving CMOS.

N3Star

May 22, 2020
Gave it a try using SAS controller from my Fujitsu Primary RX300 S4 (broken - I replaced CMOS battery and after that server cannot boot to BIOS - Fujitsu logo is shown, POST is happening, but I believe when it's time to show "press F2 to..." it shuts down while showing CSS indicator and red global error led, both blinking, on mobo. I guess it's a problem with missing one fan - has 3 instead of 4.) it recognized one drive I was able to connect, but in BIOS there was no sign of any drive. SATA mode was AHCI + native IDE.

N3Star

May 22, 2020
This board is one huge problem - overheating, problems with memory, hidden bios settings causing throttling on FX CPUs, and now this :/