• Hey there Guest! This holiday season you have a chance to win some cool AnandTech swag! Check out “The Holiday Hotlist” giveaway, which you can find here.

HDD External Enclosures and capacity size limits??

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
I noticed that some HDD external enclosures states capacity limits such as 'up to 750GB.'

I don't understand these limits when putting one 1TB SATA should work versus 750GB SATA especially if its interfacing with eSATA directly to the motherboard's SATA controller.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Im assuming there has to be a controller in the enclosure of some sort and that it has certain capacity limits. But this is just a guess

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
I've always noticed that as the drive capacities increase, so do the capacities of the external enclosures.

There's no difference in the hardware, it's just a marketing thing and some places are slow to update.

I believe there were a few units, a long time ago, that were capacity limited. But, AFAIK, that hasn't been the case for many moons.

I know, stupid....but that's what I've seen and read.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Every external SATA/eSATA enclosure that I've used has a DIRECT connection from the PC to the SATA hard drive. All the external housing does is provide power and a protected housing. There's no reason to expect any housing-related limitation on hard drive size.

There are some Combo (USB/eSATA) housings and those have SATA-to-USB conversion circuitry. Depending on how those are wired (if there's a direct SATA-to-SATA channel, as well as a SATA-to-USB channel), then they MIGHT have hard drive size limitations.

The original IDE-to-USB chips had definite hard drive size limitations (originally 127 GB or so).