HDD External Enclosures and capacity size limits??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PhoenixOrion, Apr 4, 2008.

1. PhoenixOrion

PhoenixOrion Diamond Member

May 4, 2004
    I noticed that some HDD external enclosures states capacity limits such as 'up to 750GB.'

I don't understand these limits when putting one 1TB SATA should work versus 750GB SATA especially if its interfacing with eSATA directly to the motherboard's SATA controller.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - External Enclosures capacity Forum Date
    NAS VS External Hard Drive Enclosure General Hardware Dec 16, 2013
    Which external enclosure for HD-DVD laptop drive? Already bought wrong one. General Hardware Dec 4, 2012
    NAS vs. External Enclosure (both alongside HTPC/WHS) General Hardware Jul 25, 2011
    booting from external enclosure General Hardware Apr 29, 2011
    External enclosure will not work with esata General Hardware Jan 18, 2011

3. RadiclDreamer

RadiclDreamer Diamond Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Im assuming there has to be a controller in the enclosure of some sort and that it has certain capacity limits. But this is just a guess
  4. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Diamond Member

Oct 8, 2005
    I've always noticed that as the drive capacities increase, so do the capacities of the external enclosures.

There's no difference in the hardware, it's just a marketing thing and some places are slow to update.

I believe there were a few units, a long time ago, that were capacity limited. But, AFAIK, that hasn't been the case for many moons.

I know, stupid....but that's what I've seen and read.
  5. RebateMonger

RebateMonger Elite Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Every external SATA/eSATA enclosure that I've used has a DIRECT connection from the PC to the SATA hard drive. All the external housing does is provide power and a protected housing. There's no reason to expect any housing-related limitation on hard drive size.

There are some Combo (USB/eSATA) housings and those have SATA-to-USB conversion circuitry. Depending on how those are wired (if there's a direct SATA-to-SATA channel, as well as a SATA-to-USB channel), then they MIGHT have hard drive size limitations.

The original IDE-to-USB chips had definite hard drive size limitations (originally 127 GB or so).