Question HDD 'Error' Report Advice

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
My main storage drive on a particular PC is a 1TB HDD Seagate now about 6 years old. It still has 350+GB unused free space.

I'm pretty sure I made a mistake and permanently deleted a folder from it accidentally. I have backup so that's not the problem.

What might be is that initially I thought it wasn't my mistake and so I investigated with the thought there might be a HDD issue.

All the HDD info tools I used including SeaTools Seagate's own and all S.M.A.R.T reports the HDD as functioning 100% with no issues.

But I decided to run a recommended alternative tool: HDDScan v4.1 which, like CrystalDiskInfo, includes a simple error indicator colour coding: green for good, yellow! for possible problem and of course red for something more serious.

This reports all green except for the "SATA Downshift Error Count" marked as yellow!.

That worried me so I did a bit of research which seems to indicate it is not unusual with old, well used HDDs and nothing to be overly worried about but it should be watched.

As said no other S.M.A.R.T tools, including CrystalDiskInfo, flag this as an issue. But none of the other HDDs/volumes or SDD I use with that PC report anything similar when using HDDScan; they're all green.

Opinions about this: does the 1TB Seagate have a problem I should be concerned about?

HDDScan v4.1 S.M.A.R.T Report.png

Last edited: