HDD detected in BIOS but not showing up in My Computer

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
As the title suggests, my new HDD is being detected in the BIOS but it doesn't show up when I look in My Computer. I checked the device manager and it even shows my other drive and says it's working properly. What could cause this to happen and how do I fix it?

I have my computer booting from my SSD which it has no problems with but I was thinking it could be a cable issue since it doesn't seem like I did anything wrong there. If it might be the cables, I have the HDD connected on the second SATA connection coming off the PSU and the smaller second SATA 6GB cable connected directly into the SATA3 port on the motherboard.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
You haven't created a partition or formatted it yet. A brand new disk will be unallocated.

Right click My Computer and click manage and open disk management. From there you will see your new disk.

A disk has to have a partition on it. If you have a 1TB HDD for example, then make a single 1TB partition, format it in NTFS and away you go.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Well said.

Nice he didn't even take you through the control panel :thumbsup:

I can remember from the beginning of time how Winblows doesn't say you have a new disk found install driver for it. I bet soo many consumers have bought hard drives and they happily go to my computer to not see it there.

disk management and make sure as CoupDeLoop said format in NTFS. gl

Partition size full 900GB dont break it down. IMO

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Thanks for the information. I forgot I had to format the newer drives on Win7.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Hey Stg-Flame

Im lookin at your Rig...

Is there anyway you can put a Quad Core on your motherboard ? If you put a Quad and OC it to a 400 x 9 3.6Ghz I tell you , you will see a huge difference in performance. Even opening firefox or chrome is faster because of the faster CPU.

Cuz I had my quad on 2.4Ghz with this used P5k..... and Fox was taking like almost 2 seconds thunderbord 3 seconds,,,,,, I can only touch the FSB on my stupid board so I took it to 3.6 and now firefox opens instantly, and thunderbird takes about 2 seconds.

PS CS6 launches for first time in 2 seconds. My boot up I noticed is faster and firefox was smoother. Using the OS things were soo much snappier. anyhow gl

If you put a C2Q in that mobo along with a 140 dollar 460 1GB all your games will be HD @ 60fps ,, fast and smooth and your OS and apps will be fast. You dont' need a current CPU for your games to be fast. gl

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I thought about upgrading my current computer, but it wasn't cost feasible to keep upgrading this one when I could just build a new one. The entire HDD is incredibly sluggish and I would need to reformat this if I upgraded the parts.

Besides, when I built the rig in my signature three and a half years ago, I wanted to get some parts that I couldn't afford at the time. Now that I have a job where I can afford to get everything I want in it, I might as well build something future proof so I can upgrade down the line.

All-in-all, I am very happy with my new computer. I cannot wait for my second GPU to arrive (first one arrived DoA) and my monitor in two weeks. During that time, I should be able to find a good computer desk since my current one is falling apart (gotta love $80 particle board stands).