HDBaseT products starting to appear

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
100Mbit regular cat5 cable for now.

I didn't see anywhere that it stated the devices were not gigabit - just saying what you could do with one or two Cat5 cables + device. Did I miss something?

Still good news

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
this is the beginning of the end of the extron/etc analog video routing equipment. thank god. having to program a box to route analog video is so archaic.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I didn't see anywhere that it stated the devices were not gigabit - just saying what you could do with one or two Cat5 cables + device. Did I miss something?

Still good news

It is in the specs for HDBaseT.
This isn't just taking the HDMI and running it through a box like the regular cat5 to HDMI boxes do. HDBaseT takes the HDMI signal converts it to the same signal type used for ethernet twisted pair and sends it over an already established cat5 cable. The same cable can be used for the video, 100Mbit ethernet as well as up to 100Watts of power for a device. The standard was designed so that if someone plugged a HBaseT cable into a regular network port no damage would occur and the regular network functions would still work, it would lose the video signal though if run through a switch non video aware.

The spec can be moved to Cat6 for gigabit, they list 20Gbit , but wasn't done for that to start with because most wiring already in place is cat5. The idea is to get rid of the multiple cables needed and while HDMI 1.4 has ethernet support the signal format is still TMDS which is not good at long distances.

The distance per cable for HDBaseT is 328ft and adapters to convert from HDMI to it shouldn't cost more than $35 a set for receiver and transmitter if the device doesn't have it.