HD7480D APU vs 4000 IGP

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
The different HTPC's have 1 significant difference......IGP or APU. Well, CPU speed is ok on both(htpc's used are i3-3225 & A4-5300) but graphical differences are there. When using a full Led backlight SQA LCD 1 can see the differences. Dimm the light in the film room and you can see the APU has much more contrast and color. Your movie experience is nicer with the APU.
I hope Haswell can do better.

Last edited by a moderator:

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
The different HTPC's have 1 significant difference......IGP or APU. Well, CPU speed is ok on both(htpc's used are i3-3225 & A4-5300) but graphical differences are there. When using a full Led backlight SQA LCD 1 can see the differences. Dimm the light in the film room and you can see the APU has much more contrast and color. Your movie experience is nicer with the APU.

What settings do you have turned on with each? AMD by default has most of the "torch mode" settings set to on which many videophiles cannot stand and immediately turn them off. This produces an oversaturated and high contrast "Best Buy Showroom" like picture that some people (not videophiles) actually prefer.

By contrast Intel and NVidia mostly leave these settings set to off by default.

So make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

dbcoopernz

Aug 10, 2012

The only worthwhile optional processing I have found with AMD GPU's is the de-blocking (and maybe some mosquito noise reduction) on lower quality video such as web-streams or downloaded x264 encoded TV rips.

5% Mosquito Noise Reduction and 10% Deblocking seems to be good. The rest only distorts the image.

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
What settings do you have turned on with each? AMD by default has most of the "torch mode" settings set to on which many videophiles cannot stand and immediately turn them off. This produces an oversaturated and high contrast "Best Buy Showroom" like picture that some people (not videophiles) actually prefer.By contrast Intel and NVidia mostly leave these settings set to off by default.So make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

No "torch mode" here. I don't like over saturated colors. They have to be lifelike:whiste:

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
No "torch mode" here. I don't like over saturated colors. They have to be lifelike:whiste:

Your experience is the different than mine, Nevecarial (LAV), Shark007, Renethx, and many others have reported when dealing with 1080p. The picture quality is identical when all settings are roughly equal.

Its all subjective though so I respect your opinion.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
intel likes to default to power savings crap, that reduces backlight brightness and ups dynamic contrast... its even a bit of a pain to turn it all off, but I agree that when all settings are disabled, every gpu maker produces the same results.

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
when all settings are disabled, every gpu maker produces the same results.
Not quite........in trying to equal the quality I still find the APU to have a much nicer picture quality. Especially contrast/color display. On BlueRay playback quality the APU is definately a better option.

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
just tested my i7-3770K with and without a 7950.....the difference is just huge. Whatever I do with the new graphic software from Intel..........the 4000 just has no picture quality. It just has too much white in everything, its impossible to reach deep black without contrast loss. Even taking the brightness/contrast/saturation/color to a different value...the whole picture quality is off. So, the Intel IGP should just perform better.......I wonder what kind of graphic design/use they have?

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
just tested my i7-3770K with and without a 7950.....the difference is just huge. Whatever I do with the new graphic software from Intel..........the 4000 just has no picture quality. It just has too much white in everything, its impossible to reach deep black without contrast loss. Even taking the brightness/contrast/saturation/color to a different value...the whole picture quality is off. So, the Intel IGP should just perform better.......I wonder what kind of graphic design/use they have?

I have to agree with Assassin. When set up correctly, there is usually little to no difference. If you're seeing HUGE differences something is setup wrong.

There's no way that tons of people have done this test, all reputable names, and then randomly we find the HD4000 to just not perform at all at a simple task of playing a video. I'm not buying it sorry.

Calibration is everything, if you see wild differences you gotta learn to calibrate and learn what you're dealing with. Just my 2 cents.

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
Tential, I would like to believe you but no way I get it the same as the 7950 picture quality. Sad but true. And I tried all the settings I could find. I have more Intel IGP's and find them the same so it is not just this one. The 2000 and 3000 are even worse.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
I used to run a dual monitor setup with my HD4000 outputted to one monitor, and the 5850 outputted to another. Even on the same monitor, I could never get the picture quality of the HD4000 to match the 5850, as the 5850 always looked way, way better. The HD4000 just looked washed out and off.

On the other hand, I'm a terrible, terrible calibrator, and I'm sure that is 100% the reason.

Lagittaja

Sep 5, 2011
For me AMD does look better.
Actually just yesterday I tried the HD4000 of my own rig on my TV. The picture looked all fuzzy and not sharp. And I had the latest drivers and went through all the IGP settings to verify they're setup correctly.
My htpc on the other hand has HD5670 and it just looks much better on the same TV.
Of course I even used the same HDMI cable.