HD4xxx series video Transcoder

x2 3600 rules sazakky

May 11, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with the video transcoder that is available for the 48xx series.
Would've looked it up on google but theres nothing about it.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
AVIVO? It's decent for being free. It's not just for the HD4000 series though, it works with just about any ATI card since it's just a software encoder that checks for the presence of an ATI product.

TanisHalfElven

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: ViRGE
AVIVO? It's decent for being free. It's not just for the HD4000 series though, it works with just about any ATI card since it's just a software encoder that checks for the presence of an ATI product.

youir quoting stuff from old old versions.
the new ones do actually use the gpu.

its pretty fast, but i'v found a lot of artifacting, and it accept very few options.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven

its pretty fast, but i'v found a lot of artifacting, and it accept very few options.
Generally I'm up to date on this stuff, and the last time I checked it's still not GPU accelerated. The first product that will be out with GPU acceleration will be PowerDVD's encoder product, for which the GPU acceleration feature isn't due until October or so.

But I may have missed something. Have any links?

sazakky: There's nothing currently out for AMD GPUs

x2 3600 rules sazakky

May 11, 2007
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven

Generally I'm up to date on this stuff, and the last time I checked it's still not GPU accelerated. The first product that will be out with GPU acceleration will be PowerDVD's encoder product, for which the GPU acceleration feature isn't due until October or so.

But I may have missed something. Have any links?

sazakky: There's nothing currently out for AMD GPUs

there is.
http://ati.amd.com/technology/avivo/technology.html
http://downloads.guru3d.com/AT...ies-download-1973.html

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
That's just the normal AVIVO. Like I said, it's not hardware accelerated.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
That's not hardware accelerated, that's just fast because AVIVO uses low-quality profiles. You'll know when AVIVO is hardware accelerated because AMD will be shouting from the rooftops and asking all the review sites to benchmark it.

mrred

Dec 19, 2005
exactly

ati's been lying about gpu acceleration since the x1000 series I believe

just run gpuz and watch the gpu activity rise to a mighty ZERO PERCENT when you run the avivo converter

mrred

Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: x2 3600 rules sazakky
ohh. i see. so gtx 260 has gpu acceleration. thats for sure.

are you sure about this? I was under the impression that this is not yet available to normal users

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
No it's not.

There is no GPU accelerated video encoding software yet.

The opposite is totally true - you can use your GPU do DECODE video, not encode it.

You can also use your GPU as part of the encoding process to apply certain filters to your video - but the actual H.264 encoding is still 100% software based - unless you have specialized encoding hardware. x264 was going to use CUDA for awhile, but FPGAs are easier to code for when it comes to this kind of thing

~MiSfit

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: mrred

are you sure about this? I was under the impression that this is not yet available to normal users
It's not, but NV appears much closer to obtaining that goal than AMD does seeing as they have at least produced cards that can hardware-accelerate physics and do some folding@home.

AMD has a vested interest against general-purpose computing on the GPU. It's a sort of internal conflict of interest, as it would probably hurt their CPU sales. For NV it's do-or-die in a sense.

x2 3600 rules sazakky

May 11, 2007
Originally posted by: SickBeast

It's not, but NV appears much closer to obtaining that goal than AMD does seeing as they have at least produced cards that can hardware-accelerate physics and do some folding@home.

AMD has a vested interest against general-purpose computing on the GPU. It's a sort of internal conflict of interest, as it would probably hurt their CPU sales. For NV it's do-or-die in a sense.

Yeah. I guess. Nvidia's index and AMD's index have varied dramtically. Their internal
infrastructure has quite some flaws considreing the book I recently read
'about ethics of business conduct.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: SickBeast

Yeah. I guess. Nvidia's index and AMD's index have varied dramtically. Their internal
infrastructure has quite some flaws considreing the book I recently read
'about ethics of business conduct.
Both companies are morally bankrupt, but business tends to be. They are cut-throat competitors and will do anything to give themselves a competitive advantage, including collusion with one another to bilk more money out of the consumer.

"ATI" (now AMD) has always been rumored to be in bed with Microsoft. NV has done a whole pile of crap to stagnate the industry and innovation. C for Graphics was probably the worst. Now they're playing games with SLI and chipsets. TWIMTBP is also shady IMO.

It's a shame Matrox went broke on the Parhelia. They were brilliant in their 2D glory days.

x2 3600 rules sazakky

May 11, 2007
Yeah well it can be quoted from AMD CEO's Derek "the computer business has never been as good". it is quite unethical and unintroversial in its nature of commment and atmosphere.