HD4870CF to HD7850 - was it worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Thanks for the benches and congrats on the upgrade. I do think that the usefulness of crossfire is often underrated. I did a similar thread when I upgraded from 5850 crossfire to a gtx670 and the results were similarly mixed.

If you're a serious skyrim player, the upgrade was worth it just for that. The power saving is nice too. But in terms of raw GPU power, you didn't get much of an upgrade.

By the way, I'm not sure about your 1600 memory clock. You can't test that with furmark unless you actually watch the fps very carefully as you manipulate clocks. I'd be very surprised if you have positive scaling above 1500. Try 3dMark or Unigine for that. Your gpu clock sounds like what most 7850s are capable of on stock volts and also about the limit of my 7870.

I start to get artifacts at 1600 but I haven't yet looked at performance scaling with clocks.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Apparently the secret was to place a copy of atipdl64.dll and atipdlxx.dll in SysWOW64 and System32 respectively. Placing them in the utility's directly is not enough. I have full voltage control up to 1.225v now. :D