HD4850 x 9800GTX

uribag

Nov 15, 2007
Here where I live the prices are:

Saphirre HD 4850: $ 330,00 (american dollars)
Evga 9800GTX: $ 430,00 (american dollars)

Would you base you choice on PhysX and CUDA support?

And if they were the same price?

Cooler

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2005
Even if it was the same price HD 4850 out performs the 9800GTX when AA is turned on.
Until a lot a games support PhysX it is just a check box and should not really be considered to heavily.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
The 4850 wins there...both in price and performance. For you, its a clear choice.

Edit: Welcome to the forums!!

psihog

Sep 21, 2003
buy from ebay. several sellers on ebay like mwave ships worldwide. you pay US prices + international s/h

Janooo

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: psihog
buy from ebay. several sellers on ebay like mwave ships worldwide. you pay US prices + international s/h

It's not so simple. When the card goes through customs they can charge VAT of that country. It can end up more expensive.

uribag

Nov 15, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Newegg doesn´t ship to Brazil and the problem of buying from another country is the warranty.

As you can see it is really a major investment for me so, do you think PhysX and CUDA will play a major roll in the future? I just can´t change the video card for like 2 years.

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
It would be cool if you could use an ATI card for your 3D graphics, and have an Nvidia card for Physx..if you're someone who really wants Physx or CUDA. That would probably be asking for trouble though.

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
4850 without a doubt, don't worry too much about cuda or physx right now.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
PhysX is still a gimmick that Nv PR would like you to believe is a big deal but really it's not- the only big game to make use of it is UT3 and even then it comes with a massive performance hit. As others have said, go the 4850.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
4850 is currently better than 9800gtx, and it will only pull away further over time as 4xxx saturates the market for this generation.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I can't believe you guys are saying what you're saying. Checkbox feature? Gimmick? This guy plainly said he can't change his card for two years. Do you think PhysX and CUDA will still be gimmicks and checkbox features over the next year?
CUDA has been showing it's prowess for months now. PhysX is only just emerging now.
Tell the OP whichever card you think is best, of course. But give him the facts along with it.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
I can't believe you guys are saying what you're saying. Checkbox feature? Gimmick? This guy plainly said he can't change his card for two years. Do you think PhysX and CUDA will still be gimmicks and checkbox features over the next year?
CUDA has been showing it's prowess for months now. PhysX is only just emerging now.
Tell the OP whichever card you think is best, of course. But give him the facts along with it.

At the prices he listed, the fact is that the 4850 is by far the better choice. :)

Cards running PhysX take a performance hit, and with the 4850 already outperforming the 9800GTX, that would leave him paying $100 more for a lesser performing card. But hey, at least the debris will fly around nicely. ;)

Cooler

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2005

PhysX is not really more future proof then 10.1 which HD 4850 supports so it?s a pick your poison kind of deal.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
From Cooler:

"Even if it was the same price HD 4850 out performs the 9800GTX when AA is turned on.
Until a lot a games support PhysX it is just a check box and should not really be considered to heavily."

Cards running PhysX take a performance hit? No kidding. Look how much extra work they are doing. And besides all that, try running PhysX on that 4850. Single digits. Granted, in the OP's case, the price difference is prohibitive. I agree that the 4850, in his case, is the better choice for that price. But the OP DID ask about CUDA and PhysX and I think no matter what the better card choice for him is, you should give credit where it is due.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Cooler

PhysX is not really more future proof then 10.1 which HD 4850 supports so it?s a pick your poison kind of deal.

What does DX 10.1 have to do with anything? At least PhysX is making it's presence known. Some levels in games, one full game, and some tech demos. That's more of a showing than I can say for DX 10.1, which is nil.

Keep it real folks.

EDIT: Sorry, I hit edit instead of quote. Your post was not altered.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005

Okay games that haven't annouced any support :
HL series
Starcraft 2
Diablo 3
Fallout 3
Red Alerat 3
Dawn of War 2
Company of heroes
World in Conflict
Alan Wake
Mercenaries 2
Star Wars: The Force Unleased ....

Anyway as for OP , you be crazy to spend $100 on outdated card.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007

What does DX 10.1 have to do with anything? At least PhysX is making it's presence known. Some levels in games, one full game, and some tech demos. That's more of a showing than I can say for DX 10.1, which is nil.

Keep it real folks.

well, 10.1 did have assasin's creed for about 5 minutes...until nvidia started throwing their weight around. the fact is, dx 10.1 has just as much likelihood to impact op's gaming experience in the next 24mos as physics does. also, how much physics is op going to be able to effective use with his 9800gtx on games that are released in 12-18 mos? as was previously mentioned, he can barely use the 9800gtx with physics RIGHT NOW. keys, face it, it's a losing battle to promote old tech g92 vs the "nearly free" AA of rv770. now, it will be a different story when/if we see gt200 at 55nm and/or with gddr5, but I still haven't even heard a rumor of an eta on that one yet.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
4850 for sure. Not only is it cheaper, but it outperforms the 9800GTX in most cases.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
@ tuteja1986: If Blizzard announces PhysX support for Diablo 3, there is no way I'm buying anything except and Nvidia card. Then again, I could be just exaggerating because I'm overhyped about D3...:p

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Cheex
@ tuteja1986: If Blizzard announces PhysX support for Diablo 3, there is no way I'm buying anything except and Nvidia card. Then again, I could be just exaggerating because I'm overhyped about D3...:p

If some game im looking at in the next 2 years wants PhysX, Id buy myself a standalone card to go with my HD4870.

PhysX and CUDA are in the early doors stages. Yes, they are being showcased and touted very recently but I dont see much impact from them in the next 12 months at the very least.

If you need a gaming card to last you for 24 months, the HD4850 is the better choice.

In my opinion, nearing the end of your 24 month window, you will probably be looking at some game which will use PhysX and want a card to support it but for the vast majority of your 24 months, you will prefer the extra power and the cheaper price.

Hijack question: Wouldnt you be able to buy an HD4870 and pair it up with a dedicated PPU (not GP PPU) for the same price as a 9800GTX?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

Such as the fact that in 2 years, titles developed for hardware PhysX will eat a 9800GTX+ alive...if PhysX is to be the future, then you wait for the future to come and then you buy for it.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: tuteja1986

Okay games that haven't annouced any support :
HL series
Starcraft 2
Diablo 3
Fallout 3
Red Alerat 3
Dawn of War 2
Company of heroes
World in Conflict
Alan Wake
Mercenaries 2
Star Wars: The Force Unleased ....

Anyway as for OP , you be crazy to spend $100 on outdated card.

You list games that "haven't" announced physx? Good plan.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: bryanW1995

Keep it real folks.

well, 10.1 did have assasin's creed for about 5 minutes...until nvidia started throwing their weight around. the fact is, dx 10.1 has just as much likelihood to impact op's gaming experience in the next 24mos as physics does. also, how much physics is op going to be able to effective use with his 9800gtx on games that are released in 12-18 mos? as was previously mentioned, he can barely use the 9800gtx with physics RIGHT NOW. keys, face it, it's a losing battle to promote old tech g92 vs the "nearly free" AA of rv770. now, it will be a different story when/if we see gt200 at 55nm and/or with gddr5, but I still haven't even heard a rumor of an eta on that one yet.

As far as Nvidia "throwing their weight around", prove it. Or don't say it. The AC developer explained what happened. If that isn't what you want' to hear, too bad.
I can list a whole page worth of potential PhysX titles coming in the next year. How many DX 10.1 titles can you list? You'll probably have better luck finding DX11 titles.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

Such as the fact that in 2 years, titles developed for hardware PhysX will eat a 9800GTX+ alive...if PhysX is to be the future, then you wait for the future to come and then you buy for it.

In two years, sure. I can picture that. But what about all the time from now til then? Does that not exist? 9800GTX/+ are still powerful cards. And besides that, in two years, you can buy that current mainstream/higher end card, and use the GTX+ for PhysX. Similar to people considering buying a GTX260/280 today, and using their older 8 series cards just for PhysX.