HD3450 fails to provide sound via HDMI

palswim

Golden Member
Nov 23, 2003
www.palswim.net
I bought this card for my HTPC for HDMI connectivity to simplify the cabling in our house, eagerly anticipating audio and video through one single cable.

But, since it came, yeah, my video looks nice. But, without the audio, it doesn't really provide me much more than my old component cables + soundcard output.

My setup is as follows:
PC with HDMI output (for video only; a soundcard provides two-channel output)
(from PC) HDMI connection to TV with HDMI inputs
(from PC) Analog stereo connection to the receiver (no HDMI inputs on the receiver)
The TV has a digital coax cable from it to the receiver to transmit sound (this works with our PS3, but not the PC)

Now, I'm not asking you to critique my setup - I would rather have an HDMI receiver, but I make do with what I have for now.

I have selected the HDMI output through the Sound control panel, so the computer detects the HDMI audio device. I've also played on the Driver carousel, trying to determine if I have a driver issue.

I've heard people say to install the old 8.2 Catalyst drivers, but even that doesn't work for me. To me, it seems like the Catalyst drivers don't even address audio, since I try to direct the "Update Drivers" in the Device Manager Control to a folder where I've extracted the Catalyst drivers, but Windows never detects any drivers for an audio device in there. So, I've installed some Realtek drivers specifically for ATI HDMI audio, but they don't deliver, either.

I know some people on the Internet have had this issue, and it seems like some people here may have had similar issues, but I wonder if I've overlooked anything.

Also, This may belong in "Audio/Video and Home Theater", but it seems more like a "Video" Card issue.