destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
honestly, had BD not come around first and had even better specs like it does, I'd have supported HD VMD.

for those who know not what I am talking about, read this. (linked from engadget).

I mean, 24gb on a red-laser disc is pretty good, and if 30gb HD-DVDs are enough for 1080p, surely 24gb is too (especially since they currently have no support for HD audio codecs such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD/MA, a downside but less space required for audio).
however, the lack of industry support is a blow, with only a handful of commonly known movies appearing on the format, as well as indie and Bollywood films.

What is comical, is apparently they want to add more layers down the road (which current players would likely be able to use a firmware update to accommodate), but that's not the good part.. the comical part is the fact that they want to use blue-lasers when the prices come down. If this format would actually succeed, then they would basically be screwing their customers who purchase these players, as no red laser VMD player could play discs written by blue lasers.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Do not forget that any new format is good, even as a niche, because it erodes the profit margins of the so-called "big rivals" (HD-DVD and BR) and stimulates the industry to realize this is a stupid format war... anything that would end this friggin' situation is more than welcome!

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson
Do not forget that any new format is good, even as a niche, because it erodes the profit margins of the so-called "big rivals" (HD-DVD and BR) and stimulates the industry to realize this is a stupid format war... anything that would end this friggin' situation is more than welcome!

Since they have been having these wars since the grammophone days I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to stop with them any time soon. It sucks but it seems to be something consumers are fated to deal with again and again.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I don't have any problem with the format battles.... it's a good thing, it slows adoption of either one of these DRM-riddled junk formats that are nothing but bad news for consumers......

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
I don't have any problem with the format battles.... it's a good thing, it slows adoption of either one of these DRM-riddled junk formats that are nothing but bad news for consumers......

You mean like the copy protection and region coding built into DVDs?
Or the Macrovision used in commercial VHS tapes?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: PokerGuy

get over it. Copy protection has been around in every format, granted some were extremely primitive and didn't stop anyone. But the idea was always there, and they are just getting better with their techniques. I don't hate DRM as I understand the desire of a studio to protect the material, it's when it gets in the way that it's annoying. BD+ is actually a very good idea, but BD+ and BD-J are going to cause issues on older players since they are newer spec. Firmware updates are on the way from the manufacturers and they shouldn't cause much issue after that.