HD performance differences on OS/Apps drive

JMPHOTO

Jan 15, 2004
I am curious about the real feel performance difference on HD's for OS and Aps.
Do you honestly notice a difference between the different drives? I know something like a velociraptor will make a difference, but difference between drives like a WD Caviar Black or Seagate 7000.11 etc.? I am setting up my new MAC pro and it currently has a Seagate 500 gb drive. I know the Caviar blacks get great reviews, but is it really worth it to change, will there be that much of a difference? It is also running a 1 TB Seagate drive for storage which gets a good review for fast throughput, but slower for apps, so that is why I chose if for photo storage.
This mostly for a photography business workstation/Photoshop. I guess I am also asking since I hear a lot of issues with Seagate 7000.11 drives.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JMPHOTO
I guess I am also asking since I hear a lot of issues with Seagate 7000.11 drives.
Can you elaborate on those issues?

JMPHOTO

Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Blain
I guess I am also asking since I hear a lot of issues with Seagate 7000.11 drives.
No I can't. I am just basing it off of seeing a lot of other people on these forums always asking about firmware to fix seagate drives. I am hoping there are no issues since I have a lot of photography images stored on a 1TB Seagate.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Blain
No I can't. I am just basing it off of seeing a lot of other people on these forums always asking about firmware to fix seagate drives. I am hoping there are no issues since I have a lot of photography images stored on a 1TB Seagate.

You have a right to be concerned but from what I've noticed, if you're actually running the drive (no USB on/off storage) and get past the 90 day mark, you should be good to go for the long haul.

Like postmortemIA says, don't bother unless you move to a 10,000 RPM unit.