HD failing on MacBook Air

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
I've been messing with this pretty much all day.

Customer's MBA got shipped into me from Colorado. I resorted going into Recovery Mode (Command + R I believe), then went to Disk Utility

The drive is encrypted, so I mounted it and typed in the password to 'unlock' it.

I was then able to create 'images' of such folders as Docs, Music, Downloads, and Pics.

But inside of the Docs folder is a 'shortcut' (not quite sure what it's called in MacOS) to another program which I REALLY REALLY would like to get the files from. The program is IBM/Lotus Notes. The customer probably has an archive or 2 in there, as well as an attachment repository.

Thing is, the 'shortcut' shows up greyed out. Like I can't select it to create an image of the folder. I think I've located where the actual Notes files are. They're supposedly in a 'Library' folder that resides under the user's home folder.

Trouble is, it's hidden, and I can't figure out how to see/access it thru Disk Utility. Im not familiar too much with terminal commands on MacOS, but if that's what it takes, then so be it.

Any thoughts out there on a Friday night?

Oh, I think the OS version is either Sierra or High Sierra. I dont have it on right now to check as I'm busy building a spare/replacement for him in the meantime

Thanks for looking
Blah-Toe

Crk

Jul 14, 2018
I assume you mean you can’t navigate to the Library folder in Finder, not disk utility.

There are two easy ways to do this without the command line.

The first is to navigate to the user’s home directory in Finder. Then right click and select Show View Options. On the dialog that pops up there should be a check box to hide or show the Library folder, at the bottom (I think this was introduced with Sierra, can’t remember).

The other way is to open Finder and hit command+shift+g. This will take you to a user-input location. Enter “~/Library” and you’re done.

HTH.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Thx for the info. It was actually 'Disk Utility' as the machine was not bootable at all. That's pretty much the only thing that would come up.

Luckily, the customer had crashplan running and I was able to restore everything.

I had asked him if he had CP/Code42 and he was like 'I dunno'....... lol