HD DVD movies

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlmadyson

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2004
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: jlmadyson
Originally posted by: Cadop
No one has mention Superman Returns yet. Great movie and looks better in HD.

Yea, I downloaded the HD version off of xbox live. It wasn't as good as I thought it might be although it still looked nice, I'm certain the disc version would be better. I'm sure this is a case by case basis with the download file.

Anyhow, I picked up Apollo 13 today and will probably grab Batman next.

how compressed was it?

7-8gigs if I recall.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Anyone seen Unforgiven in HD-DVD yet? Thinking of picking it up.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Best One I've seen so far is king kong. I've watched scary movie, king kong, troy, serenity, fast and furious tokyo drift, full metal jacket, firewall, and superman.

BTW, serenity wasn't all that great =P. I think you guys hyped it up too much for me.

jlmadyson

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2004
Originally posted by: NaOH
Best One I've seen so far is king kong. I've watched scary movie, king kong, troy, serenity, fast and furious tokyo drift, full metal jacket, firewall, and superman.

BTW, serenity wasn't all that great =P. I think you guys hyped it up too much for me.

Aye, King Kong was pretty good.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
But seeing as he got the 360 HD-DVD player, i thought it's assumed that he has King Kong. At least all the players are still sold with King Kong and the remote around here.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Yes I have King Kong, it came with my HD DVD player. Anyways what do you HD DVD owners think about Blu-ray catching up? Did we choose the wrong format?

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
King Kong looks good. It came with the HD-DVD player when I bought it for my Xbox360. The Last Samurai looked pretty good, but I think I'll always be more impressed with movies with CGI for this sort of thing.

jlmadyson

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2004
Originally posted by: ChAoTiCpInOy
Yes I have King Kong, it came with my HD DVD player. Anyways what do you HD DVD owners think about Blu-ray catching up? Did we choose the wrong format?

Too early to tell, I do find it funny Sony is trying to call it a win due to them winning a whole two weeks of January when there were 0 HD-DVDs (new) released during the time frame. Garbage to say the least. Who knows who will win, but one things for certain, it's going to be a good while before anyone knows.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Too early to tell, I do find it funny Sony is trying to call it a win due to them winning a whole two weeks of January when there were 0 HD-DVDs (new) released during the time frame. Garbage to say the least. Who knows who will win, but one things for certain, it's going to be a good while before anyone knows.

Sony is picking up ground, and there were only 2 new BR releases for January in some not so great movies (Crank and some other flick).

jlmadyson

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2004
Originally posted by: BigJ

Sony is picking up ground, and there were only 2 new BR releases for January in some not so great movies (Crank and some other flick).

They maybe picking up ground which I neither deny nor confirm, but trying to call anything based on two weeks of January is a joke at best, especially considering the data up to that point.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
We actually talked about this on my podcast, the Blu-ray format getting a lot more steam over the first weeks in January.

handoverfist

Golden Member
Apr 1, 2001
Fear and loathing in Las Vegas... The colors will blow you away. Great hd-dvd demo material and the sound is excellent! Normally people only associate good hd-dvd material with action flicks, but once you see it, you will be amazed.

V for Vendetta had its moments, and it's a superb movie as well.

jlmadyson

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2004
Just watched Batman Begins the picture quality is supurb. A good buy, ready for The Dark Knight.