HD 5850 Catalyst Question

smh68x

Dec 5, 2009
Is it better to use Catalyst settings or have the Use application settings (checked)

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Well that depends. For me I usually leave AA on applications settings as I cant handle in every game. As for AF I have it forced to 16X, I cant stand anything less. The others are not really important.

If you wanna make specific game profiles, you can use this
http://www.radeonpro.info/

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
Is it better to use Catalyst settings or have the Use application settings (checked)

It's always best to use the application settings, if the application supports them.
Namely, the application will know where and when to apply things like AA and AF, so it will be more optimized and give better performance (and in some cases also more correct results).

The Catalyst override settings are mainly for older games which didn't have AA/AF settings yet, so you can force them anyway, and improve the image quality beyond what is normally possible.

netxzero64

May 16, 2009
its always better to leave it as it is (use application settings)

just change the settings inside the game itself...

narsnail

Jul 30, 2010
As the others have said, application settings should be used, they are just more stable. You start forcing things and issues will arise.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I force 16xAF into every game, and force AA whenever possible. The only time I use in-game AA is if the driver can't force it.

I’ve seen plenty of examples where forcing AF and AA gives better performance and/or better image quality than in-game settings (e.g. Jericho, Fear, Stalker SoC, etc).

narsnail

Jul 30, 2010
^ Really? I always had crash issues with CCC when trying to force settings through the CP.

narsnail

Jul 30, 2010
Nope, my 4870 just never liked forced settings, never really looked into it. I will try with my GTX 460 though, maybe it was just a brand thing.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Nope, my 4870 just never liked forced settings, never really looked into it. I will try with my GTX 460 though, maybe it was just a brand thing.
Yes, definitely try your new card. nVidia has better AA compatibility at the driver level than ATi does, so you may find you can force AA into games you couldn’t before.

netxzero64

May 16, 2009
BFG has no problems with forcing anything cause his card is a force to be reckoned with LOL! peace!