HD 4000 and GTX 670

Superfly38

Apr 27, 2013
I was recently wondering how I could bring down my running temps on my PC when in non-stressful applications. I was wondering if it is possible to make the computer run solely off the HD 4000 integrated graphics, and have my computer automatically switch over to my GTX 670 when I need more power? It would be cool also if I could make it run both graphics cards simultaneously to increase the performance and drop stress.

Let me know if you have ideas, thanks!

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
That's the function of Lucid Virtu MVP software. I think version 2.0 has a free trial on the website.

Check to see if your motherboard BIOS supports using the iGPU and dGPU at the same time. Most Z77-based boards automatically disable the HD4000 when a dGPU is installed unless they have a special setting in the BIOS.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Not really sure how much something like Lucid would help- you will still need to have the 670 turned on, and idling. In non-stressful applications (like browsing the Anandtech forum ;) ) the 670 will barely be drawing more power than it would at idle anyway. It'll be an interesting experiment though.

The ideal would be something like AMD's Zero Core, but more generalised to all sorts of multi-GPU systems- the ability to completely turn off the second GPU when not needed.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
@Superfly38

Your 670 uses about 14-15watts of power in idle mode.

What you should try to do is look into undervolting,
and the downclocked states. (do this for both CPU & GPU)

Lucid virtu means slowdowns, from what Ive read.
You ll be giveing up performance for lower power.

You ll be surprised how much power you can save from undervolting alone,
on the CPU&GPU. That would be my first attempt at saveing power.

*added benefit: undervolting=>less heat=>less fan speed => your ears thank you.

Last edited:

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
It's called Nvidia Optimus and it works perfectly, but it's only available on laptops.

Lucid Virtu is the next best thing, although 'best' doesn't really do it justice, more like the least worst thing. Problem is it doesn't turn off the vidcard at all, so it still uses the same amount of power as when normally idling + it adds a few Watts used by the now active igp.

It can save some power when playing video, because HD4000 uses less power than the vidcard, but not much because Nvidia cards already have use very little power when playing video. What Virtu is good at is enabling Qsync for fast video encoding but that mode doesn't save any power.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Virtu is not going to turn off your VGA, so it's not useful for saving power.