HBO's Game of Thrones season 6 discussion thread- airing 4/24/16 (No book spoilers)

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Super excited for tonight's premiere! I wasn't sure if I should add "no book spoilers" to the title since the show is now ahead of the books. Anyways, I hope we find out the true outcome of Jon Snow's fate in ep.1 and that they don't drag it out.

For those that may have missed it, here's the latest trailer
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EI0ib1NErqg

I have added the no book spoilers or any other spoilers to this mod edit.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Currently in India for a few weeks. Looks like this will be my Monday evening :)

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I'm binge watching S5 again to get up to speed.

Jon Snow's fate is to be alive, but it might not happen in episode 1. The Davos scene in the trailer looks like there will be a standoff over the body. They can let that play out in the premiere and finalize it in the 2nd episode. Don't waste a perfectly good cliffhanger when you can get two episodes out of it instead of one.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Currently in India for a few weeks. Looks like this will be my Monday evening :)
Star world Premiere HD :hmm:

Just wondering how long will they drag this, J.R.R. I mean George Martin doesn't seem to be in any rush to complete the last two books :sneaky:

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Binge watched the entire 5 seasons for my daughter who hadn't seen the show. She got hooked bad and took some of the deaths pretty hard. Her reaction to the Red Wedding was worthy of it's own Youtube video. I think she developed a crush on Half-Man, too. Her phone ringtone now plays "Peter Dinklage...Peter Dinklage...Peter Dinklage..."

Not sure how she is going to adjust to watching just one episode per week.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
On a side note dish has a free hbo weekend currently going on so you can watch this and silicon valley with it. ;)

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Seasons didn't need their own threads before. This isn't The Walking Dead.

On a side note dish has a free hbo weekend currently going on so you can watch this and silicon valley with it. ;)

Every provider does. HBO does it every year. They won't stop so that statistics will not suffer when you compare seasons/premiers.

Last time they introduced HBO Now with a free trial there also. IIRC, it was limited to Apple users then so let's see where it goes now.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Seasons didn't need their own threads before.

This is ostensibly the first season where book readers can't spoil the show so maybe we won't have toxic forum Nazis going on Crusades.

I want to see Davos gutting Allisert Thorne with Longclaw which according to the season 6 trailer is a distinct possibility

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
All I can say is I just hope its better than season 5.

A lot of season 5 was setup, true. Other than the battle of Hardhome and the Jon cliffhanger it lacked the giant "events" like the Red Wedding, Purple Wedding and Viper vs Mountain duel. Even GRRM admits that those events in the books were primarily moving pieces around the board to position them for bigger things in the future. But it wasn't like Better Call Saul where they literally kept rehashing the same themes with no plot advancement. A shit-ton happened in season 5. The rise of the Sparrows sets up a big showdown with Cersei and Zombie Gregor against the faith. Myrcella was murdered setting up some epic payback with Cersei and Jaime going full psycho on Dorne. Arya turned into an ass-kicker and is going to get more powerful. The battle of Hardhome and the Jon cliffhanger combined with the growing power of the Boltons and the spread of the dead moving south means the north will be even more epic than what Cersei/Jaime will do for revenge. Tyrion wound up working for Daenerys and Daenerys winds up the prisoner of the group that she is probably going to turn into her army. That is all really important stuff in the big picture and now it should start paying off.

The only downside is that S6 might be Bran-heavy. Damn I hate that storyline and every character involved in it.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
No free HBO for me this weekend, that would've been nice. Might just visit one of my friends.

In related news, apparently some people were able to stream tonight's episode via a streaming site mistake. Spoilers already online but I'm going to wait and see.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I'm binge watching S5 again to get up to speed.

Jon Snow's fate is to be alive, but it might not happen in episode 1. The Davos scene in the trailer looks like there will be a standoff over the body. They can let that play out in the premiere and finalize it in the 2nd episode. Don't waste a perfectly good cliffhanger when you can get two episodes out of it instead of one.

I'm 100% with you here. There will be enough wall content it seems for ep1, so if he's dead or gets resurrected won't be known until ep2. I'm going with resurrection though.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
All I can say is I just hope its better than season 5.

Dorne was not handled well. It needed a slow setup, equal attention as other locations but at 10 hours per season I imagine it was really tough to make it work. I'm only guessing here but even in the books, Dorne felt like it's purpose is to setup events and character interactions in TWOW or even later.

Alexander Siddig was underused in season 5, he barely got screen time, as opposed to Oberyn. Of course, Oberyn was already placed in a familiar location and events centered around him so it was easier but they did a great job with Oberyn. I wouldn't be surprised if the show gives up on the Martell stories and kills of the characters early. If the producers at some point open up about making the show, I expect them to say their biggest failure was Dorne.

As for Jon Snow, the people behind the show played by the rules when discussing future events. Since the season 5 finale, we saw a lot of images shooting locations contradicting statements made by people working on GOT.
Everyone should by now be aware of Jon Snow lineage and it's relevance, the show and the books have been setting him up since the very beginning. Which makes the following interview interesting to say the least, Kit's statement at the 7 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT0hsKz2NFI

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I do think Jon Snow will be back as some sort of reborn flesh thing from the firecrotch lady. We already have a glimpse in the previews of FrankenMountain tossing around the religious wackadoos, so why not Jon Snow?

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Slow episode. Kinda disappointing given that we only get 10 of these.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
HBO Go has been shit as long as I've known it. No experience with Now, but I expect them to be similar. Glad I don't have to deal with Go this year.

So, I'm back to thinking that Jon Snow is dead dead, like real dead. As I was once certain of this. We'll see; and now firecrotch is firmly removed from the 'ol spank tank.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Zero problem with HBO Go when I watched it earlier. Or HBO Now when I had it last year for the free period.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
HBO Go has been shit as long as I've known it. No experience with Now, but I expect them to be similar. Glad I don't have to deal with Go this year.

So, I'm back to thinking that Jon Snow is dead dead, like real dead. As I was once certain of this. We'll see; and now firecrotch is firmly removed from the 'ol spank tank.

Reminded me of that scene from The Shining when Jack went to room 237. D:

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
After last night, I'm very concerned about the writing this season. Aside from the writing in Dorne which is just always awful, there were 3-4 moments where lines were delivered and I was like "really? In game of thrones?" One was when Jamie and Cersei were talking and Jamie went with "F this and F them and F everything." It felt super-forced, kind of like when it became ok to say "shit" on cable TV, and suddenly Suits had to force it in 15-20 times per episode. I don't get it, why start now?

My understanding is that HBO outsourced development of HBO now to the same people that did the MLB streaming service ... and as a result, it's actually functional. I've never used Go, but we didn't have any problems with HBO now last night (or at any other time in the last 3-4 months we've had it).

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
It told me I was outside the US when I tried to watch it on my PC (I'm in Virginia). Worked fine on my Roku.

When I gave up and tried watching it on my iPad, it told me it was not available in my region (I'm in Indiana FFS). Finally, around 9:20 or so, both the Roku and iPad worked but the Roku was buggy as hell getting it to work (it would start and you'd hear audio but the video was still showing the program menu). Not sure what happened there.

As far as the episode goes, it was OK. As far as I am concerned, a bad episode of GoT is still way ahead of a good episode of TWD from the last couple of seasons. :D