Hawthorne CA Police Shoot Dog

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-runs-owner-arrested-obstruction-justice.html

There is already a content warning on the video but just in case GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDBZr4ie2AE

Truly disgusting display of force by the cops here. The shooter should be censured and terminated. If this is not the definition of excessive use of deadly force I don't know what is. Also, there appeared to be quite a crowd there and shooting that close to them towards the ground is surely not safe for those around.

The dog owner might have been a troublemaker with the loud music. He might have been asking for a scene, perhaps. But I don't think he deserved having his dog shot. He did nothing wrong from what I can see. From the video, he seems to be complying with the other police officer's commands. Loud music and filming with a cell phone hardly seem worthy of an arrest, let alone handcuffs.

RIP pup.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Why was that cop going towards that dog with his arm up like that? That dog was just sitting there.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
On another msgboard I visit there is a thread dedicated to abusive cop behavior. The title includes "100% more dog shootings". It seems to be a common theme these out of control gun happy cops shoot dogs.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
On another msgboard I visit there is a thread dedicated to abusive cop behavior. The title includes "100% more dog shootings". It seems to be a common theme these out of control gun happy cops shoot dogs.

Yet when a suspect guns down a police dog they want the death penalty. They treat those dogs as another human member of the force. Fucking fascists.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Yet when a suspect guns down a police dog they want the death penalty. They treat those dogs as another human member of the force. Fucking fascists.

It is like anything with our govt. Provided the govt is doing the abuse or benefitting it is accepted behavior. You and I shoot at a dog we feel is dangerous to us in a crowded area? We are heading off the jail. These assholes do it and it will be viewed as fine. May even get a medal for being a "hero".

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I oppose the military style raiding / invading of homes. It causes undue death and destruction. What, do they think the resident wouldn't ever leave? Did the resident act or display a propensity for violence?

There's a better way to do this than busting down doors, killing people and their pets.

-- Edit -- Strike out, my original reply does not address the details of this case. Its not suited for this topic.

Watch the graphic video, and / or read the details.

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Wow, that's pretty terrible, but the guy should have rolled up his windows so the dog didn't get out. Though the cops could have let him restrain the dog after it got out, as it wasn't attacking, just more like "what are you doing with my human?".

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
VWbz3Lx.jpg

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Watched the video, terrible ending.

So this was a guy with a car playing loud music - he got out with his dog... to sort of passively confront the officers. Yet the music was interfering with their efforts to deal with an armed robber across the street.

There are a number of aspects that make this murky and not a clear cut case of over aggression on part of the officers.

• Guy placed himself and his dog there.
  • He created a scene / interference with their duties. (Loud music)
  • Thus he was lawfully arrested.
  • Dog jumps out of the car, threatens them. Jumps aggressively a few times.
  • Dog gets shot.
Not a case of a homeowner being agressed upon.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Watched the video, terrible ending.

So this was a guy with a car playing loud music - he got out with his dog... to sort of passively confront the officers. Yet the music was interfering with their efforts to deal with an armed robber across the street.

There are a number of aspects that make this murky and not a clear cut case of over aggression on part of the officers.

• Guy placed himself and his dog there.
  • He created a scene / interference with their duties. (Loud music)
  • Thus he was lawfully arrested.
  • Dog jumps out of the car, threatens them. Jumps aggressively a few times.
  • Dog gets shot.
Not a case of a homeowner being agressed upon.

I'll agree to a certain extent but when the cops moved to detained this guy they should of had him tie his dog up to the nearest pole on the corner.

Why? Because even if that dog had not lunged at the police officer it still could have proven to be a public safety hazard if it were to lunge at someone else in that crowd of onlookers.

Yet I'll agree that the owner of that dog is more to blame for not thinking of his pet first before he decided to take whatever action he was going to take in regards to the police in the area.

This isn't saying that he should not of had the right to film, play his music or question the police presence in the area.

However to not understand or think that his actions (he didn't have to be there after all as he was clearly driving by the scene unimpeded) could lead to such a confrontation that would/could endanger his pet is beyond reckless on his part.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
He threw the dog in the car as the officers approached. Problem is the windows were down. Guess he figured that was as good as tied up.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
The death of that dog is the fault of the idiot asshole dog owner who purposefully injected himself into a LEO operation and then allowed his dog to get shot. The cops should bill him for the bullets.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Standard CA pig behavior. I get that cops deal with fucked up shit, but can you please PRETEND to have respect for life not be trigger happy?

Remember that BART execution style killing of the detained suspect? What did that piece of shit get? Like 2 years or something?

These fucks make my blood boil.

jayzds

Nov 21, 2006
I don't see a problem with this...only because the dog was loose and could have jumped onto anyone at anytime. To an officer the dog is perceived as a threat and was somewhat aggressive. I feel bad that the dog was shot but, I don't feel bad for the dumb ass owner who brought this onto himself :-/

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Good shoot.

The cops needed to get control of him to control the situation. Went for the leash as he was milling about without definite aggressiveness. But that jump and snap declared him to be violently aggressive.

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I don't see a problem with this...only because the dog was loose and could have jumped onto anyone at anytime. To an officer the dog is perceived as a threat and was somewhat aggressive. I feel bad that the dog was shot but, I don't feel bad for the dumb ass owner who brought this onto himself :-/

So police are justified in using deadly force for any threat?

Any reason why multiple officers wouldn't be able to detain a dog? Even if the dog attacked the shooter there was plenty of backup to get the dog off him. That guy was a pussy, plain and simple.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Obviously some in here haven't seen the damage a dog of that size can do. The dog had already proven to be aggressive and no one needed to put their body on the line in hopes of gaining control over the dog. Sad that the dog had to pay the price due to it's idiot owner's actions.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
So I finally watched it, not really in a hurry to see a dog die, but I've heard people mentioning this elsewhere.

I blame the dog owner completely for this, that gorgeous rottie's blood is on his hands.

He could have shut off his damn music and recorded all he wanted from across the street, but instead he chose to be antagonistic to the cops. I question the motives and/or intelligence of any large breed owner who thinks a semi open window is going to deter the dogs instincts when you let it watch you advance into a confrontation. Guy had an attitude the whole time, and the dog was going along with it like followers do.

Fucking idiot.

Dog did snap at that one officer so the shooting was justified unfortunately. Given the size and breed of the dog I can't blame the officer for opening up, just for his aim. I still think it could have de-escalated if the owner had been allowed to leash him. Suspect was cooperating. Doubtful he'd try anything surrounded cops, some of them with SMGs.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Being "antagonistic" to the cop is against the law of that town? How is "antagonistic" defined in such statutes?

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
So police are justified in using deadly force for any threat?

Any reason why multiple officers wouldn't be able to detain a dog? Even if the dog attacked the shooter there was plenty of backup to get the dog off him. That guy was a pussy, plain and simple.

Yea no. I would have been fine with the dog up until the point he snapped at me, it's a fucking full sized 130 pound Rottweiler not a Chihuahua. Had the dog been cool and let me take his leash I wouldn't have needed to put his ass down.

The race baiting in the article is hilarious enough but to anyone who has any form of common sense not on a guilt trip the officer should be in the clear. He didn't shoot the fucking dog as soon as it jumped out of the car, he didn't shoot it when it got close, he killed it when it became aggressive. If it was me and you, and a similar situation happened where your 130 pound Rottweiler got lose and lunged at me I'm killing your dog, probably with multiple shots to the head.

The next thing I am going to see is a national outcry for Max and Jessie Jackson flying down to start the Where is Max's Justice?

mafia

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2008
There two issues here. The dogs death and the arrest of the owner. I fail to see any law broken by the owner, thus no need for an arrest. A unlawful arrest caused a dog to react defensively, which resulted in a officer shooting it.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Uh oh, another internet published anecdote meant to illustrate that "cops are bad." Two million police officers in the US, but we can generalize from these stories.

Carry on, cop haters.