Hawaii Superferry

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
You thought the Hawaii life style was suppose to be small and laid back, so do most people. Now here comes the "Hawaii Superferry", and welcome to what you thought was suppose to be small town Hawaii, look out the Superferry is coming, and it's making a big uproar in Hawaii.

News Topics:

Hawaii Superferry officials suspend service indefinitely after days of protests, setbacks
Protests send Superferry back to port
Photos of the Superferry - WOW this thing is BIG!
Surfers block Hawaii Superferry
Hawaii Superferry Questions need to be answered
Petition Against the Superferry

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
honestly its stupid, superferry cant be any worse on the environment then all the other bigass boats and cruise liners that travel around the islands. it really is retarded.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Great job guys...you spend all the money to bring the service in and then half of you protest to keep it from running. :roll:

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: randay
honestly its stupid, superferry cant be any worse on the environment then all the other bigass boats and cruise liners that travel around the islands. it really is retarded.

Maybe the whole uprising was initiated by the local airlines who stand to lose money?

Seriously though it seems cool, I don't see how anyone can complain. Its one ship for now, going to be two sometime during/after 2009 and they use the water jet propulsion.

Seems like traveling in Hawaii stands to get cheaper. (Not if the local airlines have anything to say about it. kidding :) )

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: randay

I agree.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: WingZero94
Wow,

What a stupid thing to protest

The same group also is for a Hawaiian secession. Apparently they have heard the success of Papua New Guinea.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Why are they calling that a super ferry? They use bigger boats to go from Vancouver Island to the mainland, none of them are considered that big.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
This is one of those things that some people are afraid of first, but love once they use it one time. What a bunch of idiots.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Sphexi
Why are they calling that a super ferry? They use bigger boats to go from Vancouver Island to the mainland, none of them are considered that big.

Speed and length of passage presumably.

Ship not boat. :frown:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Honestly, I think anything to make travel between the islands easier is a plus.

I don't like the idea of more big boats though. I know why the Kauai folks are disputing it...most of the locals aren't big fans of the common tourists. They want them to all go to Waikiki and stay off Kauai. Most wouldn't have a problem with more cruise ships because they usually drop people at Nawiliwili or whatever (very few shops, the port, and a Marriott). The port is secluded from the rest of the island...

They're just afraid that a super ferry like this will flood the already crowded, 2-lane roads filled with more traffic.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Rubycon

Speed and length of passage presumably.

Ship not boat. :frown:

Well, ours go from Sidney, BC to near Vancouver, BC, it's about a 2 hour one-way trip, runs close to 20 knots or so, 165 meters long easy. Over 450 cars on multiple levels, you have 3 levels of passenger cabins and a full buffet restaurant, a smaller cafe, video arcades, a business conference room, private cabins, observation decks, everything you could need.

So what makes it so super again?

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

Well, ours go from Sidney, BC to near Vancouver, BC, it's about a 2 hour one-way trip, runs close to 20 knots or so, 165 meters long easy. Over 450 cars on multiple levels, you have 3 levels of passenger cabins and a full buffet restaurant, a smaller cafe, video arcades, a business conference room, private cabins, observation decks, everything you could need.

Normal cruise speed is over 35 knots with a top service speed > 40 knots! 48,000 hp of jet engine power achieves this.

Avg trip time is 3 hours at these speeds. This cat can carry 280 cars and over 850 persons and has a LOA of 107 meters.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Rubycon

Normal cruise speed is over 35 knots with a top service speed > 40 knots! 48,000 hp of jet engine power achieves this.

Avg trip time is 3 hours at these speeds. This cat can carry 280 cars and over 850 persons and has a LOA of 107 meters.

So it moves slightly faster, with 200 less cars and less people, still not so super. Also, not a big deal at all, there's two of the larger ferries that do runs between VI and Vancouver everyday, and they do 4-5 trips each a day, plus the other dozen or so ferries that run around this area every day of the year. The only complaining I hear is about the prices going up so often, nothing about environmental issues at all. I'd think that it'd use a lot less fuel than all of the airplane trips required to handle the 850+ people, and would be a lot more environmentally friendly to boot.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
That's a LOT faster and airplanes cannot carry cars. Plus flying just plane sucks. ;)

This really is a breakthrough for the area and the environmental whackjobs are just destroying their already waning credibility further with this nonsense.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When we were on the Big Island in late 2005, the locals were already up in arms over this.
Personally, I like the idea of being able to drive a rental car onto the ferry and go to another island for a day or 2 without having to fly...
I wonder if the hotels/condos are also behind the uproar?
Instead of booking for a week, people will be wanting to book 2-3 days on Maui, 2-3 days on Hawaii, 2-3 days...which you CAN do now, but you basically lose a full day futzing with airports, checking in/out of hotels, etc. (not that this will really be any less wasted time, but...(perception does not always match reality)

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
I can see their logic. How many of you know much about hawaii? I have friends and family there. Whoever said they're trying to get more tourists there is dead wrong. The only people trying to get MORE tourists there are the mainland business owners. 95% of all the locals despies the tourists. The way of life there is so much different than the mainland, its really amazing.

If this thing becomes the norm, it will greatly appeal to the island hopping tourists and make the more remote islands more easily accessible. They DONT want that. Hawaii is kinda like a national park- the whole state really... its allure is in nature, the more humans that come the worse off the land will be.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
looks like one of the cats that the greeks use as the fast boat out to the islands. they're pretty nice.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
And by what reasoning did they deduce that this ferry pollutes less than its alternative: airplanes and their associated airports?
I swear, environmentalists, even though on occassion they do keep us honest about our environment, can get so far in the way for no good reason too often.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Great job guys...you spend all the money to bring the service in and then half of you protest to keep it from running. :roll:

I know, it's retarded. Hawaii is already one of the most business-hostile states, and here we are cockblocking this thing...

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Interesting, I surfed within walking distance from where it was on Maui a bunch of times. Last thing I would ever want to do is piss off the locals that live off of Waiehu beach rd.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
This is more then just an environmental issue, it's also about Hawaii booming, growing, technology, development, etc. etc., and moving up in the world.

The truth is most of the people who have lived in this part of the world 20 years or longer are not into this way of life out here, it's the main reason they came this way, or it's the main reason locals born and raised here stay in Hawaii, to live a simple life away from the developed world.

Consider these questions carefully.

1. What comes to mind when you think about Hawaii?
2. If you took a vacation to Hawaii, what are you thinking about?
3. Why do you think most people live in Hawaii?
4. If Hawaii becomes like anywhere else what will be the point of visiting?