Having trouble with new motherboard...

raabhimself1854

Aug 29, 2005
I just upgraded my system with the following:

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum 939 Socket Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939 Socket Processor
1gig Corsair XMS RAM

Everything went smoothly until i tried reinstalling windows. So i booted from CD and installed windows on the hard drive. Then once i change the boot sequence back to normal, it can't find my hard drive. I went to the BIOS again to see what the deal was, and it says there is no hard drive. I tried using the auto detect IDE HDD feature and it comes up with nothing.

Can anyone help?? I'm using a Seagate 120GB 7200rpm IDE HDD.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
First I would check to make sure the cables on the hard drive are making good connection.

If that does not fix, have you tried resetting BIOS to defaults ?

Edit: When you reinstalled windows, did you do a complete clean/new installation including a repartitioning and formatting of the hard drive ?

raabhimself1854

Aug 29, 2005
Yes i deleted the old partition and formatted the drive. I was tinkering around and i set the IDE first master to auto and it pulled up some numbers, 120GB ect.. Now when it starts up, instead of booting from CD, it goes to a black screen and just sits for about 2-3 minutes and then restarts on its own.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Reset CMOS via motherboard jumper.

MAKE SURE AC IS UNPLUGGED FROM POWER SUPPLY WHEN YOU DO THIS.

MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW MOTHERBOARD MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER WHEN RESETTING CMOS VIA MOTHERBOARD JUMPER.

Might want to at least temporarily set BIOS back to defaults after you reset CMOS.

Fenuxx

Dec 3, 2004
Originally posted by: wpshooter
Reset CMOS via motherboard jumper.

MAKE SURE AC IS UNPLUGGED FROM POWER SUPPLY WHEN YOU DO THIS.

MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW MOTHERBOARD MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER WHEN RESETTING CMOS VIA MOTHERBOARD JUMPER.

Might want to at least temporarily set BIOS back to defaults after you reset CMOS.

raabhimself1854

Aug 29, 2005
OK, so it finally got to windows, but it sits at a blank screen for about 3 minutes before it starts loading windows. Is this going to happen every time i boot? If so would i be better off just picking up a SATA HDD?

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Originally posted by: raabhimself1854
OK, so it finally got to windows, but it sits at a blank screen for about 3 minutes before it starts loading windows. Is this going to happen every time i boot? If so would i be better off just picking up a SATA HDD?

Did you repartition and reformat ? If not, I would try that.