Question Having trouble understanding the best way to set up wifi around my house.

Ccualumni

Jun 8, 2021
I ran Ethernet wires from the main floor to the attic, and to the basement. I want to walk around my house and get great wireless no matter where I am in the house. My thought is to use APs, but wondered if mesh would be better. I have hard wired the game systems and computers.
i keep reading mixed up information. Some say to get Ubiquiti and your device will automatically switch to the best connection as you walk around. Others have said that does not happen and you have to buy extra software to get that to work.
it is just so confusing and the information is all over.

I need wifi in my basement, main floor and my top floor. What is Teh best option for me?
Thank you

fluffmonster

Sep 29, 2006
"Others" are wrong. I use Ubiquity APs and the handoff doesn't require any user interaction, though it's not instant. You do need to set them up using a controller, but you can use the software controller that is free. If APs are the only Ubiquity gear you have and you don't care about monitoring, the controller is only needed for setup and maintenance and doesn't otherwise need to be running; They have hardware controllers and those are the ones you pay for.

True APs are going to be better than mesh, but mesh is a lot easier to set up.. Start with one and then add more in the weak spots you find.

There are other brands of APs that folks here use too, if they have anything to share.

Reactions: Ccualumni

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Mesh can 'just work', but maybe not the best and definitely not the cheapest. Properly set up traditional access points will do a decent job of handoff. The only thing I ever saw that did great seamless handoff were the old Meraki Outdoor OD2--these things were so awesome that they would only drop one ping. Too bad they're eol and the wireless speeds topped out at 5Mbps.

Reactions: Ccualumni

Ccualumni

Jun 8, 2021
"Others" are wrong. I use Ubiquity APs and the handoff doesn't require any user interaction, though it's not instant. You do need to set them up using a controller, but you can use the software controller that is free. If APs are the only Ubiquity gear you have and you don't care about monitoring, the controller is only needed for setup and maintenance and doesn't otherwise need to be running; They have hardware controllers and those are the ones you pay for.

True APs are going to be better than mesh, but mesh is a lot easier to set up.. Start with one and then add more in the weak spots you find.

There are other brands of APs that folks here use too, if they have anything to share.
Thank you. I was hoping to have two APs, maybe one on each floor and just using that for wireless. Just seems so much easier. Thank you