Having Issues upgrading from Vista to Windows 8 pro

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by ppilot212, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ppilot212

ppilot212 Junior Member

So am trying to finalize a HTPC build using Windows Vista Home Premium disc I had used with my old computer by taking advantage of up the $40 upgrade special.

Specs
    AsRock h77m
    I3-3225 (using onboard graphics)
    8gb Samsung Magic Ram
    180GB Intel 520 SSD
    3TB WD Red
    Asus Blue Ray Writer
    Silverstone GD04 Case
    380w Antec Earthwatts

So I updated my Bios on my Motherboard and installed all the relevant drivers with the exception of the intel HD4000 (not supported in Windows Vista so just using windows drivers). I also downloaded all the relevant system updates to be completely current. The problem occurs when I am installing Windows 8 upgrade, after the initial restart Windows 8 finishes the "setting up devices" screen, I lose video connection, then video connection returns and shows the blue windows 8 activity screen, lose the connection again, get the connection back, and then finally lose the video connection for good. After waiting for about 15 minutes, I restart the computer and windows 8 uninstalls itself.

I was going to pick up a cheap video card from Best Buy to verify there are issues with onboard graphics, but wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas or potential solutions to the problem.

Thanks!

2. Bubbaleone

Bubbaleone Golden Member

Just to confirm; you've flashed to BIOS version 1.30 released on 9/14/2012, installed the Vista 64bit Intel INF driver version 9.3.0.1019 released on 3/8/2012, and also installed the Vista 64bit VGA driver version 15.26.13.64.2778 released on 11/1/2012?

3. ppilot212

ppilot212 Junior Member

mb is at 1.30 and i am almost 100% sure i downloaded the 32bit version of the INF ( i have vista 32bit). If I install the VGA drivers my monitor (connected via dvi) will lose connection after the required restart. After digging around the internets it appears there may a compatibility between the HD 4000 chipset and dvi connected LCDs .

4. Bubbaleone

Bubbaleone Golden Member

Well, the mobo has both DVI and VGA connectors so how about connecting the mobo's VGA port to the monitor via a VGA to DVI adapter?

Edit: The 8GB RAM in your specs led me to believe you had 64bit Vista , and that you planned on upgrading to 64bit Windows 8, which I hope is not the case as you can't upgrade from 32bit to 64bit Windows.

#4 Bubbaleone, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  5. Mem

Mem Lifer

Have you tried getting latest drivers from Intel's website,You might find them newer then Asrock ones,http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu .

6. ppilot212

ppilot212 Junior Member

Yeah, I guess I was trying to install the 32bit version, but I do have access to 64bit upgrade media that could be used to do a clean install. I don't think that's what causing the installation issues , but I will definitely find out after I pick up an adapter and try the process over again.

I will try the latest intel drivers tonight and let you know how it goes.

7. grss1982

grss1982 Junior Member

If you're using onboard video, may I know which interface? DVI? VGA? HDMI?

HDMI causes the problem you described. I've encountered it in several Windows 8 installations I've helped on.