Having issue with 1997 Lincoln Town Car windshield wiper motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chapbass, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Chapbass

Chapbass Platinum Member

Hey all,

My girl is currently driving a 1997 Lincoln Town Car (sexy, I know), and a few days ago the windshield wiper motor burned out on her. The wiper blades are stuck in the "up" position, so they go right across her field of view. The blades wont move at all anymore, and from just pushiing them, they dont seem to be loose enough to push by hand.

Does anyone know of the cost/difficulty of replacing the motor? Or possibly any other options I might be able to try? Were in the middle of a snowstorm right now in chicago, and while she doesn't have work at the moment, I want to get this resolved ASAP.

Thanks AT!

2. PricklyPete

PricklyPete Lifer

Simple. Remove wiper blades, buy another 1997 Lincoln Town car for $800, and place wiper blades on new car.

More seriously, you should be able to find the motor at a junk yard for less than $50 and replacing should be fairly simple.

3. HannibalX

HannibalX Diamond Member

Well kept, correct running TCs from that period fetch 5-6K easy. If you're looking for some POS taxi with nothing working I'm sure they are out there for $800.

4. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

The wiper motor on that car is very easy to do.

I think it is held by 3 bolts. There is a special clip to hold the arm to the motor. That clip is only sold in bags of 10. In all my years as a auto tech I only used 3 of them. I gave them to another tech when i got out.

But go to AZ/Advance and just get a new motor.

5. Chapbass

Chapbass Platinum Member

Hey thanks for the quick responses guys.

Glad to see this shouldn't be super terrible. Theres both an autozone and an advance in my immediate area i believe, so I'll go take a look at those.

Anyone know of good sites to take a peek at to figure out how to replace this thing?

6. AMCRambler

AMCRambler Diamond Member

It should be easy to find a replacement motor for it. Junk yard or autoparts store. The difficulty will be getting it swapped out. You're going to have to take the wiper arms off and the cowl apart to get to the motor and linkage. Make sure you're very careful when you take the linkage off the motor. A lot of times they use small ass cotter pins or clips to hold things together. They can go flying and then you're boned. The hardest thing about replacing it is that it will be a cramped area to work in. It as long as you can get at the bolts and the wiring it should go smoothly.

7. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

8. Chapbass

Chapbass Platinum Member

Alright thanks all. Ill head to the store when i get off of work and go from there.