having controller issues in specific games - lubuntu/steam

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Having a really weird problem with my linux laptop. I am currently using the newest release of lubuntu and installed steam and 90% of the games I've tried have no issues.

In some specific games, the controller is not recognized. Last night I tested cook serve delicious (the whole reason I have been trying to get this to work), and also a game called ink. I have tried with both a steam controller set to emulate a regular controller, and also a ps4 controller, and its the same case. Im able to launch the game in big picture mode, but after that it doesnt recognize any controller inputs. My only option right now with those games is to use the steam controller and remap keyboard buttons to the controller - which isnt ideal since the on screen buttons will all be different now.

In other games where both controllers work perfectly fine: Ive tried it in games that have native controller support and games that dont and do not have any problems - its only a few specific games that Im having this issue. I previously had full ubuntu installed and had the same issue. What weird is that my home computer doesnt have this issue - running linux mint 18.

So just to summarize:
-having problems with certain games recognizing controller input
-works fine with most games
-running lubuntu 16.04 with steam installed
-tried a million things on my own with no success

Any ideas on what it could be?