Having a bad day....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Well not just a bad day, but something it's been on my mind... forever.

• We are all just 1 disease away from getting absolutely facked and homeless. That includes my family and my folks I have to take care of.
  • There is just so much misery in this world. Amazon exploiting workers for the bottom line today (or any mega corps), slavery, etc... so much war/bloodshed/etc
  • I wish I was wired differently. Come now, we're ATOTers. Chances are you're an introvert too. Raising kids and making sure they have good circle of friends is exhausting and I feel guilty everyday - parents/kids who have a tight circle that hang 24/7.
  • Doctors, lawyer, etc... amazon delivery drivers... we're all 3-6 mos away from being broke without a job. Work til retirement if lucky.
  • All this is nothing compared to what my immigrant first-gen parents went through; but first and third bullets constantly eat away at me.
I know I'd tell myself - what are the steps/actions I'll take to improve the situation? I agree. But I don't know.

It can't be healthy that I look forward to being old on my deathbed (if I'm lucky) and can't wait til I return to dust after I have fulfilled my duties (raising kids).

I think I need to talk to a therapist or go for a run or whatever.

Rule #1: We didn't come here to fail.

I've given this a lot of thought. Any of us could die of aneurysm tomorrow. Millions of Americans are just one paycheck away from financial disaster. The world is a mess, but you're not here to fix it all; that's simply not your job. You're here to use your particular talents in your pocket of the world to make things better. But everything you'll ever do will be completely obsolete in 100 years, so why bother? Because longevity isn't why we're here; our personal growth experience is why we're here. You're here to be a friend, a good worker, a great parent. You're the only one who can play your role; it's up to you to realize that potential. You're at the right time, in the right place, for exactly what you're supposed to be doing.

So the question is, what exactly is it that you're doing? Life on this rock will always be a mess, and we get a very specific choice each & every day: cave to the darkness, or light our own fire & contribute . I don't mean this in a cheesy Hallmark-channel kind of way, I mean that in a core-life-purpose kind of way. Over the years, I've gone from not knowing what I want to do with my life, to working for a living just to survive, to getting more skilled & educated & competent in my job field, and have learned a few things along the way. I had one particular experience where I was out of work for several months due to health reasons...it was SUPER fun at first because I was able to catch up on every book, movie, and video game I had been missing out on...and then I got bored. Like really really bored. Boredom I simply couldn't escape from because I was stuck at home. Long story short, I came to realize what one of my core operating mechanics was, and thus where my primary focus in life should be:

Rule #2: Focus on making a contribution.

There's an endless amount of stuff to complain about, feel bad about, have anxiety about, get sickened about, and it will never end. So what really matters to us is, well - what we choose to focus on! I pretty much split the concept of "making a contribution" into 3 groups:

1. Myself
2. My circle
3. My community

I can't change the whole world, but I can make my life better, my family & friend's life better, and my little niche in the world better. I heard a speech a few years ago that changed my mind on putting myself first, which I always thought was selfish, but as the speaker explained it, if you don't take care of yourself - your mental & physical health, your personal organization, managing your resources & your productivity & your stress & your ability to get things done - then you're not going to be in a position to help anybody else. So it's not about being selfish or self-centered, but rather about taking care of yourself so that you can help others. So let's take a look at your OP quote:

* "It can't be healthy that I look forward to being old on my deathbed (if I'm lucky) and can't wait til I return to dust after I have fulfilled my duties (raising kids)."

Mostly, this sounds like an energy issue, and partially a depression issue, which partly stems from not having your "what's my life purpose?" bucket filled. Let's start with energy. This guy has it nailed:

If you don't feel like this, then things need to change...for the better! I grew up VERY low-energy. Like, people don't even know what low energy is until they've had a mental argument with themselves about which gas station to stop at because pulling out left into traffic is more hassle than turning right into traffic so you plan out your stops...just because the mental & emotional weight of having to deal with that extremely minor fuss makes your brain hurt lol. So another quote from your OP:

* "what are the steps/actions I'll take to improve the situation?"

First thing is, don't drink from the firehose! It's temping to try to change everything at once & get so overwhelmed you do nothing. Your first task, imo, should be working on your energy. If you already feel awesome all the time, have no energy dips, don't have to take naps, have no barriers to consistently exercising, gets lots of sleep, are consistently well-rested, have a low-stress personal productivity system, are well-hydrated, eat well, and are in great shape, then you've already completed step one! If not...it's really hard to feel good about life if you're constantly exhausted. I only got diagnosed with sleep apnea about a year ago and MAN what a difference that has made in my daily energy & attitude, simply from just literally feeling better!

So to recap:

1. You did not come here to fail. That doesn't mean life will be easy, but your job is endurance, not perfection. You will go through hard times consistently, and that's OK! Your job is to stick with it, hang in there, and not quit, even when the world is stacked against you. You have a 100% track record of getting through absolutely everything life has thrown at you so far.

2. How can you focus on making a contribution? What do you need to do right now to improve your own situation, your family's situation, help your friends out, do good work at your job, etc.?

3. Specifically, and without drinking from the firehose: how is your energy? Per that video above, are you opening the gates for your energy horses to run by doing the things you need to do for your particular body to feel awesome all day every day? If you don't feel good, then everything will always be a drag. I'm sure you remember the days when your kid(s) were infants & you got NO SLEEP and was constantly tired all the time. If you don't wake up feeling awesome like that guy said, then there's a kink in your energy hose that needs to get unplugged so your energy can flow. Society glosses over this, but this is like the foundational building block, the first step of tilting the odds in your favor to have good days instead of bad days.

The world stinks, but that's not our problem: our job is to focus on making a contribution. For me, as I walk a thin tightrope to maintain my energy levels, that initially means focusing on ways to create systems to support better energy, which puts me in a better mood, because I fall off that wagon SUPER fast & get into the doldrums of anxiety, depression, and general whiny-ness pretty easily lol.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Hey Zeze, sorry you're having a bad day.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for you.

• Love
Reactions: Zeze

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
sounds like a dosing issue, and that you stumbled into some particularly heady indica that has been fucking with your emotions.

I suggest moving towards a more chill sativa strain of some such.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
You guys are amazing.

What about being an introvert part? Breaks my heart. I think I've been 'ashamed' of being an introvert. I mean that shouldn't be a surprise, we live in an extrovert world.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
sounds like a dosing issue, and that you stumbled into some particularly heady indica that has been fucking with your emotions.

I suggest moving towards a more chill sativa strain of some such.
Nope, this has been a lifelong thing. I haven't even picked up thc until way after kids came out.

Get off my dick about thc as if this is some kind of a gotcha at every response. Get some new material Zinny Zinfandel.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Being an introvert is actually a blessing in these times. Can't say the pandemic really affected me much in that sense. I rarely go out anyway.

Reactions: Pohemi

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
And this is also so true. It'll never feel like enough money. If you don't have $1 million, that will feel like lot of money. But once you have $1 million, it won't feel like a lot and you'll feel like you need $2 million. And once you have $2 million, you think you need $4 million. And so on. You'll never be satisfied. It's just human nature. It's why that Bill Hwang guy blew up his $15 billion family office fund in the stock market. He probably felt like he needed $30 billion. It's never enough. And that feeling is something you'll always have to fight against.
I agree. Money is a horrible "hedonistic treadmill".

I was getting a check for a little over $1000/mo, and I was (mostly) happy, although things were "tight" financially.

Now I'm getting double that, and earning a little besides from mining, and ... I'm almost, "less happy". I buy MORE things, but it seems like the money is never enough, and those things barely satisfy me, after I get them out of their boxes, to sit on the shelf, unused in most cases.

Or maybe I just need some training, in how to handle finances.

From my personal perspective, though, I can TOTALLY see how these "mega-stars" that have "tons of money", end up BROKE after a few years. (Doesn't help if they have a manager or financial advisor embezzling funds, either, which does happen in many cases.)

But when you feel that you "have enough money, to not need to keep track", then you STOP keeping track, and that can lead to TROUBLE. (Trust me, it does.)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You guys are amazing.

What about being an introvert part? Breaks my heart. I think I've been 'ashamed' of being an introvert. I mean that shouldn't be a surprise, we live in an extrovert world.
Lol I don't talk to people unless I have to.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Well not just a bad day, but something it's been on my mind... forever.

• We are all just 1 disease away from getting absolutely facked and homeless. That includes my family and my folks I have to take care of.
  • There is just so much misery in this world. Amazon exploiting workers for the bottom line today (or any mega corps), slavery, etc... so much war/bloodshed/etc
  • I wish I was wired differently. Come now, we're ATOTers. Chances are you're an introvert too. Raising kids and making sure they have good circle of friends is exhausting and I feel guilty everyday - parents/kids who have a tight circle that hang 24/7.
  • Doctors, lawyer, etc... amazon delivery drivers... we're all 3-6 mos away from being broke without a job. Work til retirement if lucky.
  • All this is nothing compared to what my immigrant first-gen parents went through; but first and third bullets constantly eat away at me.
I know I'd tell myself - what are the steps/actions I'll take to improve the situation? I agree. But I don't know.

It can't be healthy that I look forward to being old on my deathbed (if I'm lucky) and can't wait til I return to dust after I have fulfilled my duties (raising kids).

I think I need to talk to a therapist or go for a run or whatever.

Our grandparents, and great grandparents were tough as nails. I think we have become so soft. People just want to huddle under their blankets all day. Look at how people spend most of their time. Social media, Netflix, video games, eating crap foods, drinking, smoking weed, and energy drink consumption,. etc. Doing most of this while they complain about life. Why is it hard. I need money. Life is unfair. Etc...

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
You guys are amazing.

imo the world is made for everyone. Extroverts are just more vocal about their game. Being an introvert just means you have a social battery, and when it runs out, you're "done" for the day. Whenever I visit NYC, I always go in early (like 6am) & leave around 2pm so that I don't have to deal with the lines, the masses of people, etc. to get out. Otherwise I just get kinda...drained, lol. It is what it is. I still enjoy doing stuff, but I also like being at home in my comfort zone a lot haha!

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
You guys are amazing.

Really, we don't. All us introverts are just living the lives we want without going public about it. It might seem more fun to be extrovert, but if you prefer living a quiet life, then using energy on social events is just plain waste of life. Believe that what you enjoy to do, is the best for you.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Really, we don't. All us introverts are just living the lives we want without going public about it. It might seem more fun to be extrovert, but if you prefer living a quiet life, then using energy on social events is just plain waste of life. Believe that what you enjoy to do, is the best for you.
The problem isn't about me. It's about my kids. My OP said I wanted my kids to have a tight knit circle of friends - usually granted by tight knight circle of parents.

Nothing's crappier than lonely birthdays of your kids. Or not hanging out with friends (outside of school). etc. group-trick or treating, group hangouts, group events, group trips etc.. they all require for me to make a continuous effort to become friends with OTHER PARENTS. I'm just whining about that.

I mean I know what to do. It's not a rocket science. Relationships are what you put in - join PTA, sports, etc and form relationships from there and arrange playdates. But it's just so damn exhausting. Covid certainty dint' help.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
You worry to much man. Stop letting social norms get to you and just relax a little. Your kids are going to be just fucking fine. I'm honestly more worried about you and your wifes relationship. When was the last time you two went on a date or even just got outta the house that was just the two of you?

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Nope, this has been a lifelong thing. I haven't even picked up thc until way after kids came out.

Get off my dick about thc as if this is some kind of a gotcha at every response. Get some new material Zinny Zinfandel.

lol, chill dude, it was an honest suggestion. speaking from experience.

If I wanted to get on your dick about something, I'd ask about the dog that you wanted to abandon.

....So, how's your dog doing? :p

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
lol, chill dude, it was an honest suggestion. speaking from experience.

If I wanted to get on your dick about something, I'd ask about the dog that you wanted to abandon.

....So, how's your dog doing? :p
Is that another gotcha? LOL. In your head 24/7 rent free, Zamboni man :) No ones mad.. sticks and stones.

My dick is always free for you, np.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The problem isn't about me. It's about my kids. My OP said I wanted my kids to have a tight knit circle of friends - usually granted by tight knight circle of parents.

Nothing's crappier than lonely birthdays of your kids. Or not hanging out with friends (outside of school). etc. group-trick or treating, group hangouts, group events, group trips etc.. they all require for me to make a continuous effort to become friends with OTHER PARENTS. I'm just whining about that.

I mean I know what to do. It's not a rocket science. Relationships are what you put in - join PTA, sports, etc and form relationships from there and arrange playdates. But it's just so damn exhausting. Covid certainty dint' help.
Speaking from absolutely NO experience (didn't raise children), is this mainly a thing for younger kids? I don't know how old they are, but it would seem as kids get a little older (10? I don't know), they need less organizing and planning by their respective parents, and start doing things on their own, etc.

Obviously you're not 'letting the kids raise themselves', but I would hope that these self-imposed requirements of doing all of the coordination for your kids start to ease as the kids age and become more independent.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003

Have you heard about 'good enough parenting'?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Maybe it depends on your kids. My parents weren't particularly friends with any of the kids I hung out with outside of school, invited to my birthday parties (granted the largest party I wanted [as an introvert] had like 4 kids over), just as I wasn't particularly friends with the parents of the kids my kids hung out with. They kind of found their own level and got the level of socialization they desired.
How old are they?

Reactions: biostud

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

I never really worried about all that because I grew up as latchkey kid. My parents didn't sign me up for any activities because they had no time to take me. I knew that so it never bothered me. I didn't have birthday parties with kids. I had friends at school and from school sports and activities but my parents didn't really socialize with other parents other than people they knew at church. My parents tried to make me go to church with them but I went couple of times and found it wasn't for me. I did like the social aspect, but I couldn't accept the concept of religion and God. It just seemed ridiculous from logics point of view. I made friends of my own through school, sports, and hobbies. I was introvert, but I was always confident in myself and abilities.

For my daughter, we didn't have birthday parties with other kids. We just celebrated quietly as a family. My daughter gets invited to birthday parties and occasional social gatherings and she attends those. But we're not super social. She has her close group of friends she FaceTimes, texts, and plays games with but my wife and I make no effort to become friends with other parents.

But because I grew up as latchkey kid, I didn't want the same for my daughter. So my wife always stayed home while I worked. My daughter grew up with my wife by her side. So my daughter has close relationship with my wife. I don't think it's my responsibility to help my daughter make friends and aid in her social life. She needs to do that on her own. I view my role as dad to provide financial and emotional support for her. And to protect and shield her from dangers and offer some guidance. That's my role. The rest she needs to figure out.

I know parents who go overboard with social and financial stuff for their kids. My younger cousin and his wife are like that with their kids. They go all out and spend ridiculous amount of money on their kids and socialize heavily with other parents. I'm talking like spending million dollars a year basically buying friends and on designer goods. And I think that kind of behavior ruined their kids. Their kids are similar age as my daughter but had the best of everything growing up. And I think that warped their sense of reality. Their kids are major spoiled, and I think in for rude awakening in college and later in life. But maybe I'm wrong and all that pampering and socializing will provide them with the right connections and huge advantages in life. They certainly know and are friends with lot of people. But it's hard to know if that's real friendship.

Reactions: biostud and Pohemi