Have you sold off your DVD collection

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Glavinsolo
in anticipation of their replacement Blue-Ray | HD/DVD titles. I just did. I sold all 75 movies I had collected over the past 8 years. I feel good knowing that I won't be left in the position of having to sell them for $2.00 or less later as some VHS owners have seen. Are you going to follow suit so your $18.00 copy of Gigli on DVD won't be worth 10cents in the upcoming years.

Good luck with that.

The equivalent would be selling your entire CD collection a couple of years ago in anticipation of replacements on DVD-Audio and SACD. You'll be waiting a long time, possibly indefinitely, for HD replacements.

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
No, I'll only re-buy certain titles in HD, If they still play fine I'm keeping them.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
No way... it's going to take a long time for HD-DVD forms of most of my DVDs to come out. I don't consider my DVDs an investment and thus don't care how much they are worth when I sell them.

I also don't illegally keep copies of them on my hard drive if I do sell them or give them away.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: OREOSpeedwagon
nope, i probably won't switch to HD-DVD or whatever for a while, I'm perfectly content with the quality of my DVDs and I really don't want to spend a ton of cash for a new HDTV, HD-DVD player, etc. This isn't like the VHS -> DVD conversion, DVDs will be around for quite a while.

Same for me.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
don't yuo need a tv thats hd capable or something to really get the full effect?
if so, i don't have an hd capable tv and probably won't for awhile.

DVDs FTW

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hell no!! I have a very large collection of DVDs. I would have to sell at a huge loss. I have pretty much stop buying DVDs, though, due to the fact there are rarely must have movies coming out.

Another point you should consider: are all your movies going to benefit from HD-DVD? Consider the source material. Some of the old titles did not benefit in quality going from VHS to DVD. Of course, DVD is a far superior storage medium so it was a no-brainer for most to convert. Do you think all of your DVD movies going to benefit going to HD-DVD? Is even a slight marginal gain worth a repurchase?

I remember trying to convince a friend, who likes to rent and rip DVDs, that it's not worth trying to rip DTS all the time. In one example, there was a movie that had option for both Dolby Digital and DTS. With DD he could fit it on one blank, with DTS he would have to split it to two discs (using no compression). Of course he chose the latter, wanting to preserve the highest quality transfer. It so happened that the movie was a drama and most of the sound is dialogue directed at the center channel. I can understand for newer movies with special fx, lots of actions, explosions, and etc, but for non-action movies with mostly dialogue it's overkill.

I've seen it in videogame consoles all the time. Some of the games for the next-gen consoles like PS2 and Xbox were rehash/port of games from previous systems with absolutely no improvement on the predecessor.

Not all movies are going to benefit going to HD-DVD. People should look at their collection and evaluate title by title whether it is worthwhile for an upgrade.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The 110 DVD's I own were downloaded from newsgroups so selling them isn't the best idea.

If I had actually paid for them, I'd still never sell them and re-buy them just for higher quality. Such a stupid idea and a huge waste of money. I'd just continue growing my collection by purchasing new HD-DVD's.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
I'm actually building my DVD collection up. I used to be the "Netflix, rip and return" guy. After doing this a while, it became annoying to occasionally watch one of my burnt DVD"s and experience quality issues (even after using DVD Shrink and taking out the menus and other crap)..
So, fast forward a few years later.. I'm now older, wiser, and make more money.. so, for all the movies I had ripped, I am now finding them in bargain bins at Walmart anywhere from $5.00 - $7.50 (Yes.. I am now becoming legal :) )

To this day, don't some of the new movies STILL come on VHS? Or has this stopped recently?

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
I only have a few DVD's and they are my favorite movies.

Sin City
Payback
Braveheart
We Were Soldiers
Gladiator
Les Quatre Cent Coup

So, no. I'm not going to sell them.

Janet Reno

Apr 29, 2005
Did DVD just become obsolete? Am I out in the blue? DVD are still great in my opinion. It will be a few years before HD stuff takes over. By that I mean 1) Get more product than 5 good movies out 2) Drop in cost to $900 player and $40 movie 3) Spend crapload on HD TV 4) Have little to no other DVD on market so that I have nothing else to buy anyways.

THis will be years from now. Did anyone else notice that they're STILL bringing out movies on DVD they hadn't released yet? Now they start all over on HD? I might not even buy this stuff until 5 years or more from now, considering I don't even have a HD TV yet which is another thing. The big change from VHS to DVD also involved space conservation, disc tracking, extras, and improved quality on top.

What about the fact that at the moment, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are competing and you only get one or the other? lol, even worse.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Err, I got 1200 dvds... I doubt I'll be buying them all over in hd-dvd. Yes, I bought 1200 DVDs.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: ricochet
I've seen it in videogame consoles all the time. Some of the games for the next-gen consoles like PS2 and Xbox were rehash/port of games from previous systems with absolutely no improvement on the predecessor.

Umm ... no, thats just false.

and if you are talking about "collection" games like NAMCO anthologies or Atari collections, those dont count.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I only buy movies I will watch more than twice. For that same reason, I have a very small collection of DVDs. I don't sell my movie DVDs and music CDs. I hope you punch yourself in the balls when you realize the "next generation" format is no better than the DVD format, and that you've wasted a sh!t load of money due to misinformation.

Neurorelay

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2004
Yeah, no way. I have 500+ dvds and very nice racks for them. I did sell off my home theater equipment. I have a room with one wall of dvds, and a 21" WS HTPC and monitor to play them back (cable, xbox 360 and ps2 all hooked to gateway monitor through switcher). Put some headphones on and enjoy. My hobby is movies, not technology, so I will enjoy my dvds for quite some time.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Glavinsolo
in anticipation of their replacement Blue-Ray | HD/DVD titles. I just did. I sold all 75 movies I had collected over the past 8 years. I feel good knowing that I won't be left in the position of having to sell them for $2.00 or less later as some VHS owners have seen. Are you going to follow suit so your $18.00 copy of Gigli on DVD won't be worth 10cents in the upcoming years.

Why sell them? HD-DVD is backwards compatible

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
I just think that HD-DVD / Blue-Ray is going to be a waste of money for most consumers. DVD offered many benefits over VHS besides superior quality - Chapter access, no rewinding, no tapes getting eaten, bonus features, small form factor, etc. I don't see either of the new technologies offering anything other than better quality. Well, considering I don't own an HDTV, that really isn't going to matter much to me... and I don't think that will matter much to many people in the US. It's such a waste of money to keep switching formats every 8 - 10 years.