Have you sold off your DVD collection

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
in anticipation of their replacement Blue-Ray | HD/DVD titles. I just did. I sold all 75 movies I had collected over the past 8 years. I feel good knowing that I won't be left in the position of having to sell them for $2.00 or less later as some VHS owners have seen. Are you going to follow suit so your $18.00 copy of Gigli on DVD won't be worth 10cents in the upcoming years.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Glavinsolo
in anticipation of their replacement Blue-Ray | HD/DVD titles. I just did. I sold all 75 movies I had collected over the past 8 years. I feel good knowing that I won't be left in the position of having to sell them for $2.00 or less later as some VHS owners have seen. Are you going to follow suit so your $18.00 copy of Gigli on DVD won't be worth 10cents in the upcoming years.

It isn't worth 10 cents now . . .

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I won't... it's not worth getting $1/DVD on eBay. People will still be using good ol' fashioned DVDs for quite some time.... i'm not gonna sell my Harold and Kumar DVD that I just paid $10 for to buy the Blue-Ray version later for $25. What's the point?

The Batt?sai

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2005
nah i'm not gonna sell. i wouldn't get much for them even now. most of them i bought for cheap anyways :)

spherrod

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
www.steveherrod.com
I've trimmed down my collection a lot but not got rid of everything. Went through it all when moving house and found that most DVD's I won't watch again anyway

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
yes some time ago started right here on AT, then whatever was left hit the rummage sale. It has nothing to do with HD DVDs though... I just ripped em all down to HDD and I have them all readibly available.

Sorry physical media is dead. I feel sorry for the saps that still use it.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy
yes some time ago started right here on AT, then whatever was left hit the rummage sale. It has nothing to do with HD DVDs though... I just ripped em all down to HDD and I have them all readibly available.

Sorry physical media is dead. I feel sorry for the saps that still use it.

How is physical media dead? Didn't you have to buy the physical media to rip it to your HDD? Unless you do illegal downloads and base your collection on that, physical media is actually still alive and kickin.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
well yeah for distribution its still obviously the "only" way to do it.
But once I get a DVD/CD whatever, I rip to my HDD (removing foreign language tracks etc as needed to conserve space). Often ripping to a high bitrate XViD or similar.
I can't tell you the last time I loaded a physical DVD in my entertainment center to watch it.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
But once I get a DVD/CD whatever, I rip to my HDD (removing foreign language tracks etc as needed to conserve space). Often ripping to a high bitrate XViD or similar.
I can't tell you the last time I loaded a physical DVD in my entertainment center to watch it.

I guess if you're a huge movie buff and the least bit tech savvy, its great to rip to a HDD... but the average consumer and probably 95% of the population still uses physical media to watch DVDs. So my point is... it's far from dead.

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: SirChadwick

I guess if you're a huge movie buff and the least bit tech savvy, its great to rip to a HDD... but the average consumer and probably 95% of the population still uses physical media to watch DVDs. So my point is... it's far from dead.

I think it would take me longer to rip and watch than watch and return
EDIT!: Maybe rip and watch later :D

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Glavinsolo
Originally posted by: SirChadwick

I think it would take me longer to rip and watch than watch and return
EDIT!: Maybe rip and watch later :D

I agree.... its just too time consuming unless you have a movie that you continuously watch. I've been known to only watch a handful of movies more than once or twice anyway. Sure it's nice to show off your media library on your computer... but isn't it so much cooler to have a shelf full of space consuming DVD titles? lol.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Since I'm not buying into the whole HD-DVD/Blu-Ray stuff from the get go, hell no I'm not even considering selling off my DVD colleciton. I mean yah, HD movies look good when I see em on HBO and what not, but they are not NEARLY a step up from DVD's as much as DVD's were from VHS. Not even remotely close. And there is no way in hell I'm going to get my whole collection in this HD format whatever it is. I probably won't even adopt a HD video player for a couple more years, and I'm a techie.

DVD's are going to be around for a LLOONNGG long time.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
No and I also did not ditch my video tapes the moment video disk and laser disk players were said to be the technology that would make VHS obsolete.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Basically what it comes down to is... your still going to enjoy the movie regardless of its format. It's a movie! If you want to fork out tons of extra $ to enjoy the same exact flicks on a slightly more advanced media disk.... you're either rich or nuts. OOooooooh 25GB's. Let me run out and buy it!!!!

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I've been wanting to sell mine off, but just haven't gotten around to it...if I can sell 200 DVDs and save the rest, I'll be happy.

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
I've been wanting to sell mine off, but just haven't gotten around to it...if I can sell 200 DVDs and save the rest, I'll be happy.

Yeah I sat in front of Half.com entering in BAR codes takes like 3mins per title

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Why would you guys want to go through the trouble of selling your DVDs for next to nothing? That's investing way too much time! Unless you sell a bulk set of 100+ and even then you're losing all kinds of $.

VTHodge

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Next-gen DVDs do not solve any problem that I have. VHS was bulky and tapes were expensive, quality was pretty low and rewinding sucked. So I went to DVD. I have no problems with DVD that will be solved by a higher capacity.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Not a chance. I still have my VHS collection too and a working VCR player! <gasp>

archiloco

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2004
DVD's will be along for the ride......(next two generation jumps at least) so don't sell off dvd's just yet. get the movies you feel you need in HD, and if you need to see the movies, there will always be a dvd there you can watch, non HD but still shows you the movie. and when they won't support dvd's anymore, just rip them and put them on the new media, great thing about digital format you can move them around without a problem.

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
nope, i probably won't switch to HD-DVD or whatever for a while, I'm perfectly content with the quality of my DVDs and I really don't want to spend a ton of cash for a new HDTV, HD-DVD player, etc. This isn't like the VHS -> DVD conversion, DVDs will be around for quite a while.