Have you seen the Mach Plus Club lately?? (*yes, we got pics*)

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Years ago when I was much younger and far more reckless (long before the urge for self preservation kicked in) I got the unique opportunity to ride along for several meetings with a group of pilots known as the "Mach Plus Club" a name drawn from their flying style of doing highly complex maneuves at low altitude at speeds of greater than Mach 1 in a variety of civilian and military surplus aircraft capable of doing such said maneuvers and speeds. Well, just for old times sake I decided to contact them. Problem is, I can't find any trace of them anymore.

They were very famous in many different pilots circles for their daring and sometimes very dangerous and foolhearty sport flying. They were often criticised for their techniques of "hugging the hard deck in the maze" (flying 50 feet or less off the ground in tight and very close quarters flying conditions) and going "spot on with the wall" (aka cutting a turn so tight and so close as to almost crash in the process of executing the turn) and they did this on a very regular basis as a way to "maximize the adrenalin rush" as they would say. Needless to say I really enjoyed flying with them even if it was incredibly dangerous. The adrenalin rush you got was beyond addicting and if you came back from a flight with clean underwear, you had a bad run. :D

Just wondering if anyone remembers them or knows where they might be flying these days? I'd love to go out and watch them and maybe get a flight with them just for old times sake. I know they were very active in the late 80's and early 90's but after going into the Army and then off to college I had lost track of them and was hoping to find them again. Anyone know if they're still around?

edit: see further down for pics.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Yeah. I flew with a few of the guys who were in the club at the time. Got to sit in several different high performance aircraft. Tons of fun.

Don't remember all the kinds they had there but I know they had some retired Mig's and I think an F-16 trainer although my memory might be wrong in remembering that. I do know that almost all of the aircraft were 2 seater jet powered aircraft capable of Mach 1 easily.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Linkie 1
Linkie 2

These pages contain examples of some of the aircraft these guys flew. I am not saying that they flew these exact models, but rather ones that were similar or in some cases identical. We had lots of fun out there. The kind that would make a day of the most intence rollercoasters or adrenaline pumping activities seem kinda lame. :D