Have You Quit Smoking

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
I just went 12 hours without a smoke and thought I was gonna pull my hair out. I've been smoking for 4.5 years, a pack a day. I want to quit, but I think it's going to be very hard.

So, how many of you have given up smoking completely? Or failed?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Never really smoked, but as of yesterday I have given up smokeless tobacco for a month. I didn't really get cravings after the first week and a half (first 3 days were the worst), but I do get nicotine cravings when I drink.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Smoked basiclaly socially for a few years as a teenager (.25 to .5 packs a day, started when I was 15) Up to a pack a day for about 5 years, haven't smoked a ciggarette in 6 years. I do occasionally smoke a cigar though.

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
I smoked for about 7 years. Started off light, ended up just about a pack a day if not more ...

Went cold turkey maybe 6 years ago ... it was tough. My life revolved around that first smoke in the AM and the last one in the PM. I'd leave for lunch early if I wanted one so I could get several in during lunch hour too.

I did have a 2 month relapse once about 2.5 years ago ... the biggest thing is once you stop, you can never smoke a cigarette, cigar, pipe, nothing ...

Good luck man!

GRIFFIN1

Golden Member
Nov 10, 1999
I used the patch to quit. I've been off the patch and nicotine free for a little over 10 months. The patch just reduced the intensity of the withdrawal by spreading it out over 6 weeks. You still have to really want to quit before anything is going to work for you. I'm just now getting to the point where I don't have daily cravings.

Skiddex

Golden Member
May 17, 2001
I am on day 12...what did it for me was every time i had some small bump or sore in my mouth, I started to think the worst and it started to drive me crazy. We can do it!

smoked for 6 years, around a pack a day. Quit for a couple summers during college but was back at it once I got back to school.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
After the first week of cold turkey the cravings are all in your head.

But that first week is a doozy.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I smoked for two years starting at 18. Quit almost two years ago. Had a few (<5 total) when I studied abroad in Sydney this summer, other than that I haven't had any.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Cold turkey almost 14 years ago, after some ~5 years of fairly casual smoking (maybe 3 packs a week or so).

After the first week (which went flawlessly because I really really wanted to stop), the first few months was *really* hard, especially because most of the friends I was hanging out with were smokers. At the craziest times I would have these lucid dreams where I couldn't help myself and relapsed, woke up feeling extremely guilty because of it, which soon turned to a happy feeling because it was just a dream! :D.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
About 30 yrs. of Camel non-filters, 2-3 packs a day.

I guess you could call that "Heavy". :roll:

The new pills were the best, but made me very sick.

Good Luck!

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Started at age 17 and smoked anywhere from half to a full pack a day for 7 years.

Tried quitting a few times but never succeeded because I wasn't really committed to quitting.

After my son was born and he was about 15 months old I was outside having a smoke when he walked up to the patio door and started watching me smoke. I felt horrible.

That was over 4 years ago now. I've had 2 cigars and 3 cloves since then but that's it.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
smoked 12 years 1+ packs a day camels

been smoke-free for 10 years, quit cold turkey...yeah it was hell

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
My wife and I are using Chantix (the new drug) and been on it for 2 weeks. Essentially it totally blocks the effects of nicotine. When we smoke now, it's like you don't get anything out of it, also tastes nasty. down to about 10 cigs/day, but could easily deal with less.

Tomorrow is our 'quit' day. Doing this part of Health Ed support group at Kaiser.
Nicotine is out of your system in 3 days. the hard part is the mental behavioral issues, and figuring out how to manage the triggers.

Wish me luck...... and good luck to OP...

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
I always smoked when I drank, but about 8 years ago when I was working graveyard shift I started smoking daily. I smoked around a pack give or take for a couple years then one day I just quit.

I quit drinking almost 2 months ago, and seeing as how I need a vice of some sort in my life at all times, I started smoking again. Only about a 1/4 or 1/2 a pack a day right now but I think I'll probably quit soon.

Being addicted to stuff sucks. Good luck in your quitting endeavor.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
I quit cold turkey many many years ago easily, I was only a casual smoker even then and for the most part I smoked cloves.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: necine
I just went 12 hours without a smoke and thought I was gonna pull my hair out. I've been smoking for 4.5 years, a pack a day. I want to quit, but I think it's going to be very hard.

So, how many of you have given up smoking completely? Or failed?

Failed many times, finally succeeded. I was anywhere between a pack and two packs a day when I quit cold turkey in 1999. Have not had a single drag since. If you can make it 12 hours you can make it. It's just a matter of how much you want it. If you want to quit more than you want that next cigarette you'll make it, if you want that next smoke more you won't.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
If you are COMMITTED to quitting, you can do it. I've found the times I tried to quit but didn't really want to quit, I'd pick it back up within a few weeks or so. I quit back around Labor Day, but smoked casually up until early December. In other words, I stopped buying cigs around labor day, but I would sometimes smoke 1 or 2/day if a co-worker offered. Generally, from early Sept. to early Dec. I'd smoke no more than 3-4/week. My last cig was somewhere around 12/7.

Overall, I liked smoking, but decided I should just quit and try to get more healthy. Now the smells really bother me.

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
Take the new drug. I heard it works great. Save all the money at 4 bucks a day and reward yourself with something fun at the end of the month. 120 bucks = Pizza Party?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The hard part is the first week. I compare it to the heroin withdrawal scene from "Trainspotting." Once you get past that, it's smooth sailing. The important thing is that you have to be absolutely committed to quitting. Half-assed won't do it, you'll just find yourself relapsing a few weeks or months down the road. You have to be committed.
I found 2 ways to keep myself committed. First is the fact that every smoker eventually has to quit, and sooner and by choice is much better than latter and after bad news. Second is the process of quitting cold-turkey itself. I never ever want to go through that again. And that means I can't ever smoke again, or I will have to.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Quit about 39 months ago, after 23.5 years of smoking approximately a pack a day. :)

The occasional little voice pops up, saying, "Damn, a cigarette would taste REALLY good right now!", but as more time goes by, it gets easier to laugh at that little voice and stuff him back down in the well. I doubt he'll ever go away completely, but at least I know that I control my urge now, instead of my urge controlling me.

Oh yeah, and how did I quit? Truthfully (take it as you will), I prayfully asked God to take away my smoking, that I wasn't strong enough to do it myself, then added "whatever it takes". Yeah. Be careful what you ask for, you might get it! Less than a week later, I got so sick with an upper respiratory infection that I couldn't smoke!! After 5 days, I finally started feeling well enough to smoke again (and had forgotten my prayer in the meantime), so lit up. I took 2 puffs, never tasted anything so AWFUL in my life, and stubbed it out.....and haven't had a puff since! :D

Of course, now I'm the smoker's worst nightmare........the ex-smoker who will tell every smoker he sees how awful those things are, and why they need to quit!! LOL

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
i smoked a pack/pack and a half a day for about 10 years before i quit cold turkey on my 30th birthday. my 33rd birthday is in 3 months and i have not had a cigarette since (except in a few dreams/nightmares).

from my experience cigarettes are a mental addiction and easy to quit.

quackagator

Jul 1, 2002
Smoked for 15 years. Quit cold turkey Havn't smoked in about 25 year's Maybe a couple of drags to see what it taste like. Tasted like shit

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
cold turkey after about 25 years.....it's been 4 years now and I do not have any desire to go back.

I recently went to a womans house who smokes probably 2-3 packs a day to work on her computer....although she did not actually smoke while I was there the place smelled like an ashtray.....after about 20 minutes I felt like a fish out of water, could hardly breathe......it's those instances that make me grateful I decided to quit.