Have you or do you use the Coin Star machine?

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
Just wondering how many people have tried this. I used it before and I think it ripped me off cuz i counted way more quarters than it said on my reciept. I'll stick to old fashion coin rolls and going into the bank to depost them.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Heck no. Why should I pay like 10% of my hard-earned money to some machine? I mean, if you've got bucks, you're probably not going to be rolling coins anyway, right? :)

I have a manual coin-sorter...black plastic base with four removeable, clear tubes. One each: pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters. Everyday when I come home, I empty my pockets and throw the change into the tubes. (I have a big plastic jug for pennies.) I'd say I wrap at least $20 in change per month. I roll it up and stick the rolls in a shoebox.

That shoebox is my "Holy Sh1t am I broke!!!!" money. :D

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I guess it's possible for the machine to miscount, but I've never had a problem with it. Did you check the rejected coin bin to see if any of your coins were there?

I will roll all my coins but the cents, which go to Coinstar about once a year. That way the 7.5% fee is tolerable.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Man, I gladly pay 7.5% at the Coinstar machine. I fscking hate banks. The lines, the old people who hold everything up, the dumb employees....I get pissed off just thinking about it. I much prefer to go to the supermarket (open 24 hours, unlike my bank), dump my coins in the machine, hit the express lane for my cash, and I'm out.

If you have an account at TCF Bank (Twin Cities Financial, but they have branches in MI, IL, OH, and MN) then there's usually a coin counting machine at the bank that you can use for free. No deduction.

It's nice :).

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I agree with the "going to the bank" comment. We have a cafeteria at work that will take my rolled coins, so I'm covered there.

Feb 24, 2001
Yeah my bank has a big ass machine up front for change. Dump it in (a real classy redneck came in when I was at a teller. He must have had 8-10 Crown Royal bags full of change) and it counts it and gives you a coupon which you take to the teller and she gives you your $$$.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
in North Carolina, my uncle and i cashed in on a couple coffee cans and hit $213. He has boxes and boxes of coffee cans of change.

-=bmacd=-

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bmacd
in North Carolina, my uncle and i cashed in on a couple coffee cans and hit $213. He has boxes and boxes of coffee cans of change.

-=bmacd=-

:Q

Share the wealth! :)

I've used them a few times, when going to the bank wasn't convienent.