Have You noticed that the media has started showing pictures of dead and wounded Americans? WTF?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
From Reuters

The pictures in the above article have been on many networks/news sources. I don't think that is right. What happens when thier families see those pictures? Would you like to see your loved one lying dead on the street like that for all the world to see? A little more sensitivity is in order I think.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I have mixed feelings about this. I don't like the news media making a buck on the backs of our dead and mangled soldiers, but maybe the American people need to see just what a soldier looks like after having his arms, legs or face blown off. I seriously doubt if most people understand just how much territory the word "wounded" covers.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Just on CNN, they showed the entire video of the dead soldier being covered with that yellow plastic sheet. I thought it was very, very tasteless as well, but it is showing the truth of the situation.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
They need to show it for everyone to wake up and realize what is going on here. When Americans see dead bodies, they will wake up. When you hear "Soldier died on an ambush" and nothing else, then you really don't think much of it... But when you see a dead body, then it sticks with you in your head.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Now you know how middleeasterners feel about our pompous military videos that show us blowing up 'enemy' targets. And there's certainly been no video shortages of dead iraqis on the news either.

I guess some believe its fair game if they are faceless and nameless? I don't think so.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Maybe some good video of americans dying will make people less anxious to go to war next time.

Live and learn, but die and learn more.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
We averaged 12 KIA a day over the duration of 'Nam. There were another 100 a day wounded, and some were devastating injurys.
It took years before American Casualties were shown, and they were few and far between. It took a week for information to reach
Stateside, so all that was seen here was from the week before, and that was controlled and edited before it was released.

Communications today are giving us next day news reporting coverage, and second day video (8 - 12 hour time shift),
so we can see more - and sooner, after the event, but truth screening and filtering for authenticity of fact is running way behind, isn't it.

We're runnng 1 KIA a day average, 10 WIA if you include the non-combat casualties, but it's in a combat zone, and they are
in fact there. Dead is dead, injured is injured - whether from a sniper, a bomb, a vehicle accident, or a drunken alcohol poisoning.

Show the pictures so people can relate to bodily injury and fatalities, we sent them there, don't be so crass as
to refuse to look upon what you have done - you the public, the voter who allowed this shame to materialize.

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
Remember when Al-Jazeera showed American casualties and America was outraged by supposed Geneva Conventions violations.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Whenever a great leader wants to take his people to war he should sacrifice himself first to show his good faith.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Whenever a great leader wants to take his people to war he should sacrifice himself first to show his good faith.

ROFL:)..

Like Custer or them Alamo Texakins back in '36 or so... Legends are made of folks like these...

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Americans need to see the reality of conflict. We need to be "shocked" by the horrors of a war we started and "awed" by the usually poor, always young people we send to die for the beleifs of rich white guys who have never seen a day of combat in their lives. Pathetic that it needs to come down to this.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
From Reuters

The pictures in the above article have been on many networks/news sources. I don't think that is right. What happens when thier families see those pictures? Would you like to see your loved one lying dead on the street like that for all the world to see? A little more sensitivity is in order I think.

You seem to be more upset about the media showing the pictures than Americans being dead and wounded. In war, people get killed and wounded. If US public supports the war they should have no problem with the pictures of war.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: kage69
Tell that to John McCain.

I can think of several rich white guys who put thier buts on the line. George Bush Sr. and Bob Dole come to mind.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: SuperTool
From Reuters

You seem to be more upset about the media showing the pictures than Americans being dead and wounded. In war, people get killed and wounded. If US public supports the war they should have no problem with the pictures of war.

I am upset about American being dead and wounded and frankly once they are dead it doesn't really harm them to take pictures. My concern is more for thier families back home who could end up seing those pictures. That would be horrible, to see your loved on laid out like a piece of meat for the world to see?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
"I can think of several rich white guys who put thier buts on the line. George Bush Sr. and Bob Dole come to mind."

Damn straight. I mentioned McCain as, let's face it, he got F'ed up.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: SuperTool
From Reuters

I am upset about American being dead and wounded and frankly once they are dead it doesn't really harm them to take pictures. My concern is more for thier families back home who could end up seing those pictures. That would be horrible, to see your loved on laid out like a piece of meat for the world to see?

It is horrible, not because there is a picture for the world to see, but because the loved one is laid out like piece of meat. The horror doesn't come from the picture, it comes from war.