Question Have you heard the rumors about 3080Ti's price being over $2000 retail?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Some stuff going around with price photos from Europe. $2000 minimum and as high as $3000 or so. I like it. This should really put the brakes on the scalpers if nothing else. At least that's something. Why should AIBs let scalpers steal their cards for $1000 and flip them the same day for $3000? That just makes the AIBs look like fools to be honest. If $3000 if the market price then that's what they should charge. I'm willing to bet that miners are still foaming at the mouth so hard, selling their own children for GPU money, that they'd still buy up as many 3080Ti's as they can possibly get for their GPU inspired home equity loan. Hash rate limits be damned. The GPUs will sell faster than the pixels on the screen can refresh from "coming soon" to "out of stock".

7beauties

Mar 24, 2008
Okay. The word is that Nvidia's RTX 3080 Ti will be available on the 3rd of June. It'll cost north of $1K because it's a Ti card. So, friends, what can I do to get one? Stay up until midnight and then log-into Newegg? Or Best Buy? What should I do to ensure I get one? TY.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I'm willing to bet that miners are still foaming at the mouth so hard, selling their own children for GPU money, that they'd still buy up as many 3080Ti's as they can possibly get for their GPU inspired home equity loan. Hash rate limits be damned.
I remember the kids back in the 90's (and into the 00's when it definitely didn't pay off) who burned pirated games to CD's and sold it for a much worse hourly wage than any McJob.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Not that I'm looking as I've had my 5900x since before Thanksgiving, but if you looked online did it have the reserve option available on it? My closest Microcenter has the 5600x and 5800x in stock with the option to reserve for instore pickup.
Mine also did not have a reserve online pickup in store. It was in store only and it had 7+ available. Chances are if I wanted one I could have got one but all I need is a gpu now.

Mainly for my VR flight application and other VR titles. I'll try to get a 3080Ti but I bet I won't have to try very hard as they will be gone in seconds.

When the 3080's launched you didn't even see the ability to purchase from Nvidia because bots had access to the shop API before it updated externally for users.

I should have tried to get a 3090 in November but there I was thinking after year end availability will be fine..heh.

Sure is a crazy time right now. Regardless im glad I at least have both new gen consoles in case I never end up putting another card in my rig.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
For VR specifically, a 3090 may be worth it if you're considering a 3080ti and will end up spending $2000+ anyway. I find many VR games use well over 12gb.

Every passing the day, i do not regret one bit that i paid almost 1800 dollars for my 3090 FTW3.

Same here, I got mine for $1600 last year at Microcenter. Great deal in hindsight, and I've gotten plenty of use out of it too.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Sure is a crazy time right now. Regardless im glad I at least have both new gen consoles in case I never end up putting another card in my rig.

Honestly, people like us with 1080Ti and 1440p ultrawide are in a pretty good spot compared to so many others. So many people are stuck with older generation GPUs or NO GPU at all as they limp along on the IGP. The 1080Ti has miraculously held up quite well in terms of it's performance and Vram capacity for a very long time. It sucks, but it could be worse. You want to play VR flight sims though, and those are pretty rough...

For VR specifically, a 3090 may be worth it if you're considering a 3080ti and will end up spending $2000+ anyway. I find many VR games use well over 12gb.
Same here, I got mine for $1600 last year at Microcenter. Great deal in hindsight, and I've gotten plenty of use out of it too.

What headset are you using and what games? I haven't seen vram usage go over around 5 or 6gb on my Index playing Alyx and Pavlov. Truth be told, all I play is Pavlov and I play it basically every day. It's the kind of game where it's the only one I need or want to play, which is rare and awesome. So much variety in terms of different gameplay offered in that title.
I can't get past the early stages of Alyx due to a lack of will to continue. I lost interest because they don't let you just play the game. Everything has to be a damn puzzle or maze. It just wears me down with the constant roadblocks forcing you to figure stuff out all the time. I'm not into that puzzle crap. I like challenges, but not like that. I do enough thinking during the day and want to leave that thinking stuff out of my game time. It's like they feel obligated to stimulate gamers' minds or something by forcing them to puzzle and maze their way through a game? It's just a boring grind. Nice atmosphere and high quality, but not my kind of game.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
On my Reverb G2 I get about 47 fps on high settings and low shadows star wars squadrons and the other VR app (dcs) is pretty similar if not a bit lower.

It's playable but would be nicer to be able to crank up more effects and have a bit better performance.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
What headset are you using and what games? I haven't seen vram usage go over around 5 or 6gb on my Index playing Alyx and Pavlov. Truth be told, all I play is Pavlov and I play it basically every day. It's the kind of game where it's the only one I need or want to play, which is rare and awesome. So much variety in terms of different gameplay offered in that title.
I can't get past the early stages of Alyx due to a lack of will to continue. I lost interest because they don't let you just play the game. Everything has to be a damn puzzle or maze. It just wears me down with the constant roadblocks forcing you to figure stuff out all the time. I'm not into that puzzle crap. I like challenges, but not like that. I do enough thinking during the day and want to leave that thinking stuff out of my game time. It's like they feel obligated to stimulate gamers' minds or something by forcing them to puzzle and maze their way through a game? It's just a boring grind. Nice atmosphere and high quality, but not my kind of game.

I've seen up to 22GB in Alyx on a Reverb G2. It uses some kind of dynamic resolution that adjusts itself with the framerate, so you'll get a sharper picture if the video card can handle it but it still runs perfectly on lower end ones.

The earlier parts of Alyx are a bit repetitive, but the last 1/3 of the game is amazing, from the Jeff chapter onward. Well worth playing it just for that. The mods are also excellent and are like full games in themselves, like the Rapture mod (Bioshock port). I didn't find the puzzles that hard, but the combat can be tricky due to how little ammo you get. You have keep looking everywhere for ammo and make every shot count.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I've seen up to 22GB in Alyx on a Reverb G2. It uses some kind of dynamic resolution that adjusts itself with the framerate, so you'll get a sharper picture if the video card can handle it but it still runs perfectly on lower end ones.

The earlier parts of Alyx are a bit repetitive, but the last 1/3 of the game is amazing, from the Jeff chapter onward. Well worth playing it just for that. The mods are also excellent and are like full games in themselves, like the Rapture mod (Bioshock port). I didn't find the puzzles that hard, but the combat can be tricky due to how little ammo you get. You have keep looking everywhere for ammo and make every shot count.

For instance, I was supposed to turn on the power or something, but instead of there being a switch, I had to figure out what to do, where to go, how to find a special thing to plug into the wall etc etc. I turned it off and played Pavlov. Alyx has constant roadblocks where you can't simply play the game. You have to figure out where to go in the 2 story building you're in to find a special thing and plug it in and blah blah. I can't stand it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I gave up long ago. In fact this entire fiasco is probably what will push me out of pc gaming in general, I barely play new AAA games as it is. Now with the insane prices its pushed me over the edge I think.

Yeah I'm pretty much going console exclusive for gaming even with a 1080ti. My Xbox series X offers better performance than my 1080ti can, and it can do ray tracing if I want to. GPUs are both too expensive, and too rare. I refuse to spend more on a GPU than my car's entire suspension upgrade just cost. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: sze5003

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
1199 MSRP according to toms.

Only has 12GB and not the 20gb we was hoping for.
At that point it was a much better deal getting a 3090 founders for 300 more with double the ram and a fully unlocked core.

- First we all laughed at the 3090 buyers for having more money than sense. It was a terrible product for the price and really only existed as a token NV halo part... and now look where we are.

Would I even recognize myself if I saw my own reflection?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Best Buy is giving out tickets at 730AM tomorrow at locations that have been stocked with 3080ti FE cards. Capitalize on covid and people's general unwillingness to leave the house to go to a brick and mortar store to buy something.

Here's the list of stores.
What to know about NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition Graphics Card - Best Buy Corporate News and Information

There would still be a line of people camping out. The one in Boca Raton FL is near me and I asked a friend to swing by and peek. There are people who drove across the state to camp lol

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I guess that the bright side of discrete GPU's being so overpriced is that APU's are going to become more popular.

Apple (of all companies) might actually be leading the way on this, as their new M class processors will probably have improved iGPU speeds over the Intel chips they are replacing.

Intel and AMD will never really push hard to improve the performance on these, considering that it would cannibalize their discrete GPU offerings.

Last edited:

7beauties

Mar 24, 2008

I'll venture out to my local Microcenter to see whether I can snatch a regular RTX 3080. The only difference between it and the Ti iteration is that the latter has been overclocked at the factory. Sure, it'll outrun all other GPUs but not without breaking a sweat and won't last as long. I have a pair of Radeon Vega64s in CF and the total I paid for that pair was $1200. Now, a single RTX 3080 costs much more than that. I've inquired whether I could prepay before release but as the late John Belushi would say, "Noooooooo!" I would appreciate any advice on how I can snatch an RTX 3080 or the newly released RTX 3080Ti. Of course i've thought of buying a Radeon RX 6800 XT, but they're just as expensive. Heck, for this kind of money I could buy a driveable used car, take it to Earl Sheib's and sell it at a profit, but I'm not that kind of person. I

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Even the evga elite memeber queue that was supposed to be live today for elite members to sign up for a card is dead. Their site has been down since 9am.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
- First we all laughed at the 3090 buyers for having more money than sense. It was a terrible product for the price and really only existed as a token NV halo part... and now look where we are.

Would I even recognize myself if I saw my own reflection?

I mean the 3090 still is a bad product when you compare it to the 3080. It's basically double the price for maybe a 10% performance gain and unless you need the additional VRAM not worth it for most consumers. This new card having an even more lackluster price for what you get doesn't make the 3090 better. I think we should just be glad that the 3080 exists at the price it does, at least theoretically anyhow.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Newegg shuffle is 3080Ti only today. They do have options at the FE MSRP pricing at least. Cards aren't worth it really, but I guess they're cheaper then the scalper pricing of lower tier offerings....Odds of getting a card are slim to none, but it's an option for those who are in need.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Even the evga elite memeber queue that was supposed to be live today for elite members to sign up for a card is dead. Their site has been down since 9am.

hmmm the two options at the bottom are blank... lol... its not OOS, or Notify.
But that is what is showing on my elite page.

If anyone needs an EVGA associate code for a discount, i have one and will give it to you via PM's.

Of course if anyone else has one, they can speak up, but please do not post it in the main chat or in your signatures as it is a form of advertisement, and can lead to use giving you warnings.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
hmmm the two options at the bottom are blank... lol... its not OOS, or Notify.
But that is what is showing on my elite page.

If anyone needs an EVGA associate code for a discount, i have one and will give it to you via PM's.

Of course if anyone else has one, they can speak up, but please do not post it in the main chat or in your signatures as it is a form of advertisement, and can lead to use giving you warnings.

Noticed that too. Cheapest option for auto-notify was the FTW3 at $1399 last I checked.