Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I have a soreness at the injection site that started about 8 hours after the shot was given. Still sore nearly 24 hours after the injection. Really seems to be no different than a flu shot, for me.
Again, it was first dose with Pfizer.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have a soreness at the injection site that started about 8 hours after the shot was given. Still sore nearly 24 hours after the injection. Really seems to be no different than a flu shot, for me.
Again, it was first dose with Pfizer.
Sounds like my reaction to Moderna #1. Soreness was gone after 3 days, mostly after 2. Second shot coming in 11 days.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I wonder how many cells gets transcribed to produce the spike protein? Is it only around injection site or how does that work? distributed, systemic?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I wonder how many cells gets transcribed to produce the spike protein? Is it only around injection site or how does that work? distributed, systemic?
The covid-19 mRNA vaccines work by causing a reaction at the injection site, not systemic. That's the reason that a larger person does not need a larger dose of vaccine.

Reactions: Pohemi and cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The covid-19 mRNA vaccines work by causing a reaction at the injection site, not systemic. That's the reason that a larger person does not need a larger dose of vaccine.
Then, in theory something could be gained by getting two doses at the same time, one each arm? Probably not, anyway, interesting, thanks.

Reactions: Muse

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Just got my second shot of Pfizer about an hour and a half ago. Still felt like absolutely nothing going in just like the first shot.

Feb 4, 2009
First moderna shot completed moments ago. Now I wait...

Edit: so far only a tiny side effect, shoulder/hand feel slightly numb. This has happened with regular seasonal flu vaccination before. I am not concerned.

Edit 2:Approaching 5 hours post dosage. I am feeling kind of tired, arm is sore but the regular seasonal flu vaccine kind of sore. Only strange thing is my hip & knee on the opposite side are feeling achy. I expected the usual neck & back, currently they are fine.

Edit 3: 15 hour mark. Feel slightly sore all over. Not going to prevent me from doing anything but it is noticeable.

Edit 4: been 36 hours, I am starting to feel normal. Assuming nothing changes this is the final update

Last edited:
Reactions: cytg111

Trell

Oct 28, 2003
Just got scheduled in NJ. Had to take an appointment 2 hours away because it was the only mega site accepting people from other counties... I live in Sussex County, with no mega site, and the one I had to book in is way down in Gloucester County but I will get it next Tuesday.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Reaction? Have you researched this? Reactions severe enough to warrant hospitalizations have been extremely rare. Covid-19 has resulted in some 450,000 deaths in the USA so far (and untold thousands of often acute lingering disabilities). How many deaths caused by covid-19 vaccination reactions??? ZERO!
Thanks for posting this. That info you were responding to see misinformed. Misinformation is dangerous so people really need to ensure they do not spread it.

What data is coming out is really positive. I have seen no indication that anyone is ending up in the hospital for the Pfizer and Moderna. I have seen reports yesterday that indicate Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine reduced hospital admissions by up to 85% four weeks after the first dose. Early data but encouraging.

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Neighbor is an ER doc. He got the Pfizer early on. Dose #1, nothing. Dose #2, hammered him. Chills, fever, aches, stayed in bed for day and a half. He's probably in his late 40's.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
This is a YouTube video of a couple of doctors having a conversation so ensure you take this as opinion. If this all pans out we are seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Some interesting things to keep an eye on.

• Love
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
IMO, the vaccines will bring the pandemic to a close and save 75% of the lives we otherwise would have lost. I figure in the USA the final death toll will be around 1,000,000, say 3 years down the line, i.e. by 2023. But the pandemic will be over. Without the vaccines, 4,000,000 dead. And there would be a major health crisis ongoing for years with the long-covid sufferers, millions of them. The vaccines are tamping that down too in just as major a way. Anti-vaxxers are in my book as bad as Trumpers.

Last edited:
Reactions: zzyzxroad

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Next morning after Pfizer #2 have a little bit of a headache and feel like I probably have a slight fever, little bit of a case of the chills. Nothing anywhere near as nasty a reaction as I was expecting from shot #2 though.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This is a YouTube video of a couple of doctors having a conversation so ensure you take this as opinion. If this all pans out we are seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Some interesting things to keep an eye on.

That really is quite the video. If you can spare the 42 minutes, it's great, and I plan to rewatch it. It's so full of nuanced interesting information laced with countless insights that it's hard to process it all in one viewing, at least for me. Two really smart, honest, very witty professionals with serious cred, sharing their take on the pandemic in a one to one conversation, without masks (both have been vaccinated), and sitting 3 feet apart. And recorded IIRC just a few days ago on Feb. 21, 2021. I haven't seen anything else like it.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
FDA says single dose vaccine safe and effective, will authorize. Yay!

Bah, just re-read and it's only 69% effective.

Feb 4, 2009

Is this the vaccine that is made in a more traditional manner as in it is made with similar processes as the seasonal flu vaccine?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Watch that video posted above a couple posts and the doctors explain how that 69% effective figure is misleading. It's IIRC 100% effective at preventing death, for instance. It's also very effective against the variants. If you get sick, it will almost certainly be mild, something like a cold or flu. This is the takeaway, I suggest watching that video. Still, I'm glad I'm getting my 2nd Moderna shot in 8 days. I'm high risk.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Watch that video posted above a couple posts and the doctors explain how that 69% effective figure is misleading. It's IIRC 100% effective at preventing death, for instance. It's also very effective against the variants. If you get sick, it will almost certainly be mild, something like a cold or flu. This is the takeaway, I suggest watching that video.

I'll check it out. I think a single dose vaccine is important as it might improve compliance.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

While maybe it's 69% effective against getting the virus at all that's 1) not bad and 2) misses what I think is the more important point.

While some people still got COVID it was 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death in the trial. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.

So sure, it's not as great as some of the other vaccines but in the end hospitalization and death are what we really care about - if this vaccine turns COVID into a bad cold to me that's 95% as good.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So sure, it's not as great as some of the other vaccines but in the end hospitalization and death are what we really care about - if this vaccine turns COVID into a bad cold to me that's 95% as good.
And that's worse case scenario.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
That really is quite the video. If you can spare the 42 minutes, it's great, and I plan to rewatch it. It's so full of nuanced interesting information laced with countless insights that it's hard to process it all in one viewing, at least for me. Two really smart, honest, very witty professionals with serious cred, sharing their take on the pandemic in a one to one conversation, without masks (both have been vaccinated), and sitting 3 feet apart. And recorded IIRC just a few days ago on Feb. 21, 2021. I haven't seen anything else like it.
Dr. Gandhi's opinions have been really on point during Covid. I am also a big fan of Zdog and this recent video is a good listen.