Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I received 2nd Pfizer dose yesterday. Had a terrible 12 hours or so with 102f fever and awful headache, starting about 12 hours after the shot. Fever below 100f now, and feeling much better. Hopefully that's the end of it.

Interesting how much the body can react with zero virus and just a common immune response.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Local hospital says it is strictly for those 65 and older.

On the plus side, if it does become available sometime, they also say you don't need insurance to get it free of charge.
OTOH, I figure I'd be lucky to get out under $10,000 if there's a reaction and need of a hospital bed. Dunno if that risk is worth it.

Reactions: weblooker2021

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Shittyness continued to increase including a mild fever and headache until around the 36 hour mark where everything seems to have broken. Feeling pretty good now.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

On the plus side, if it does become available sometime, they also say you don't need insurance to get it free of charge.
OTOH, I figure I'd be lucky to get out under $10,000 if there's a reaction and need of a hospital bed. Dunno if that risk is worth it.
Get the damn shot when you can.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Aren't the shots just the spike proteins? Get the virus without having any memory of the spike proteins in your immune system and you could be looking at 250k in hospital bills and maybe your family 10k to bury you. Even if COVID doesn't put you in mortal risk there can still be ugly long term side effects, as I have seen from a family member in his early 30s who was in outstanding health before getting COVID and has battled lung problems since getting it 3 months ago.

Reactions: Leeea and Muse

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Aren't the shots just the spike proteins? Get the virus without having any memory of the spike proteins in your immune system and you could be looking at 250k in hospital bills and maybe your family 10k to bury you. Even if COVID doesn't put you in mortal risk there can still be ugly long term side effects, as I have seen from a family member in his early 30s who was in outstanding health before getting COVID and has battled lung problems since getting it 3 months ago.
Yes the shots contain mRNA which then produce the right protein. It is not a live virus so you can't get covid outright.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
2nd Pfizer dose this morning. Supposedly a higher risk of fever with the second dose. I rather not have that, but it's a million % better than getting Covid. 8 more days till joining the 95% club :D

Reactions: uclaLabrat

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Wife got her second dose of Pfizer Sunday afternoon. Woke up in the middle of the night with a neck ache. Related, or just slept wrong? She thinks it was the shot, but said it's a fair trade off. Still bothering her 24 hours later, but letting up.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Pfizer dose one + 7 hours. Nothing abnormal yet. The Meadowlands mega-site was much faster than when I was there two days ago. Inside just a few minutes after arrival and gone in 40 minutes total.

Viper GTS

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

As others say, I think that risk is worth it. However, that - the risk of the financial cost of a bad reaction, even if it's just a very short-term one - is a quirk of a private health system that hadn't occurred to me. Glad I don't have to worry about that.

(Besides I'm still hoping the side-effects will go the other way, and involve the acquisition of superpowers - maybe the echolocation ability of a bat or the armoured scales of a Pangolin...if the movies have taught me anything, it's that those are the sort of unintended side-effects you can expect from such things)

Reactions: Muse

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
As others say, I think that risk is worth it. However, that - the risk of the financial cost of a bad reaction, even if it's just a very short-term one - is a quirk of a private health system that hadn't occurred to me. Glad I don't have to worry about that.

(Besides I'm still hoping the side-effects will go the other way, and involve the acquisition of superpowers - maybe the echolocation ability of a bat or the armoured scales of a Pangolin...if the movies have taught me anything, it's that those are the sort of unintended side-effects you can expect from such things)

Is there actually any evidence of this happening? I would be somewhat surprised given the public interest in everyone getting vaccinated ASAP. With insurers required to cover all associated costs 100% with no deductibles or cost sharing etc and the rest of the population handled by the federal government I doubt you'd ever see a bill if you had a reaction and needed medical attention on site.

Viper GTS

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Is there actually any evidence of this happening? I would be somewhat surprised given the public interest in everyone getting vaccinated ASAP. With insurers required to cover all associated costs 100% with no deductibles or cost sharing etc and the rest of the population handled by the federal government I doubt you'd ever see a bill if you had a reaction and needed medical attention on site.

Viper GTS

Dunno, not my concern, not being under a private system. Just going on the basis of what Jaskalas said of his worries. Even if it's not true for most people, the fact that some might _think_ that's a possibility might suppress demand for the vaccine, which is a bad thing.

Also from what I've heard of US friends and their travails with medical insurance* it wouldn't surprise me if it happens to an unlucky minority.

* (e.g. being assured by the hospital's representative that the hospital accepts their insurance, then finding out after initially seeing the consultant that it actually doesn't, so now they've been stuck with the bill for the consultation but can't actually get any treatment from it - the whole system sounds like the worst of all worlds, to me, being just as subject to bureaucratic snafus and endless paperwork as a state-run one, but without the public-service ethos)

DanielLyn

Feb 9, 2021
24hrs after first moderna shot.

headache, aches all over and fatigue. Feels like my first couple days of Covid sans fever.
You had covid. In France they are only giving one shot to those who have had covid as they count the covid itself you had as the first shot.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Pfizer dose one + 7 hours. Nothing abnormal yet. The Meadowlands mega-site was much faster than when I was there two days ago. Inside just a few minutes after arrival and gone in 40 minutes total.

Viper GTS
Just like my experience. Been 4 hours and nothing sore. So far good. Like a flu shot.
Pfizer, first dose. Already have my appt for 3-12 for the second dose.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I won't have to worry about the vaccine for myself since I got infected for sure this month and likely dealt with the original in Nov. 2019 for 4-5 months of subtle symptoms and with two weeks of rock bottom "sleepiness" for two weeks in that November. I've probably gone to stores maybe 26 times in the past year at most and still got it (again).

I will probably get infected a third time before availability finally reaches me.

I have no social life or friends I speak with directly either.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Read a story in the NYTimes today explaining that people who have had covid-19 will benefit from a vaccination, but a followup shot won't enhance their protection. They're already fully protected from the first shot, which multiplies their antibodies by 100 to 1000 times.
You had covid. In France they are only giving one shot to those who have had covid as they count the covid itself you had as the first shot.
Right. I think they're going to do this in the U.S. too.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020

That risk is totally worth it.

3.5% chance of death. >3.5% chance of permanent disability for life. Kidney failure, Liver failure, lung damage, heart disease, and most worryingly, cognitive decline. Eventually, we are all going to get covid. Is $10,000 really worth rolling those dice? How is your family going to take care of you if your mentally disabled?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Read a story in the NYTimes today explaining that people who have had covid-19 will benefit from a vaccination, but a followup shot won't enhance their protection. They're already fully protected from the first shot, which multiplies their antibodies by 100 to 1000 times.
Right. I think they're going to do this in the U.S. too.

The original infection appears to act efficiently as the primer shot for (at least) the mRNA vaccines. I believe the CDC is considering this. Coming up on 30M confirmed cases it would free up a lot of doses.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The original infection appears to act efficiently as the primer shot for (at least) the mRNA vaccines. I believe the CDC is considering this. Coming up on 30M confirmed cases it would free up a lot of doses.
Yes, and I figure if anyone's nervous about this the fact that probably booster(s) coming down the line should assuage any concern.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Not just dying, lots of folks are messed up months later, no end in sight.
Dr. Mike Hansen thinks that covid-19 triggers a lingering auto-immune response in a lot of people accounting for "long covid" sufferers.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Reaction? Have you researched this? Reactions severe enough to warrant hospitalizations have been extremely rare. Covid-19 has resulted in some 450,000 deaths in the USA so far (and untold thousands of often acute lingering disabilities). How many deaths caused by covid-19 vaccination reactions??? ZERO!

Reactions: zzyzxroad

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Viper GTS
Future mRNA vaccines may turn out to be a hugely important breakthrough, an actual positive aspect of this pandemic. This video is chock full of info on this and related: