Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Thanks. Just saw such a local Facebook group the other day. But not sure if they'll take folks in group 8F or whatever I am.. But so many people are looking to jump on these I'd really just be taking it from someone else, who probably need it more. So I'll just have to wait.
I was thinking like you. But I became officially eligible, could still have deferred because AFAIK I don't have additional risk factors. But the moment I saw my chance, I jumped on it 8 days ago, for Moderna. I was SOOOOO excited!

You might get lucky and get doses that would have gone to waste if you hadn't taken them. Well, for the first dose. Once you get the first, the second would be obligatory, so to speak.

Last edited:

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
People are ready to do anything to get a vaccine, and I have a friend, she is a health worker, so she categorically refused to get vaccinated, now she has big problems at work.
While vaccine is on emergency approval, i would be surprise if any employer made it mandatory.

Reactions: Muse

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
People are ready to do anything to get a vaccine, and I have a friend, she is a health worker, so she categorically refused to get vaccinated, now she has big problems at work.
Your friend is making a very poor decision. Who knew poor decisions have consequences?

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
While vaccine is on emergency approval, i would be surprise if any employer made it mandatory.
I would not think favorably of my employee's judgment (or anyone's) who didn't get vaccinated because they fear/think the consequences for their health would outweigh the advantage of being protected, with the exception of people who have had allergic reactions to vaccinations.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
You might get lucky and get doses that would have gone to waste if you hadn't taken them. Well, for the first dose. Once you get the first, the second would be obligatory, so to speak.
More than that, it should be automatic. You should walk away from your dose #1 appointment with the appointment for dose #2 in hand.

This should apply to everyone that receives the vaccine, be it the group they are in based on age or occupation, or those that get lucky and score a shot that might be otherwise wasted.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
More than that, it should be automatic. You should walk away from your dose #1 appointment with the appointment for dose #2 in hand.
Of course. Not sure why it's been allowed to happen. I got 2 appointments when I made my appointment.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Of course. Not sure why it's been allowed to happen. I got 2 appointments when I made my appointment.
My wife also got both appointments on her first call, in a different county than we live in.

I didn't, took 15 days after dose #1of constant effort (emails, phone calls, involving local media, etc.) to get dose #2 appointment. Outside of this forum I know others that faced the same issue.

Muse seems to be in the same limbo in his effort to schedule dose #2.

There is NO fucking excuse for this crap.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

This should apply to everyone that receives the vaccine, be it the group they are in based on age or occupation, or those that get lucky and score a shot that might be otherwise wasted.
Should be automatic but it's been anything but that for me. I got dose 1 Moderna 8 days ago and still haven't been able to schedule shot #2. I got 1st does through my town in conjunction with a company. I called my healthcare provider today and they can schedule out to Mar. 2, but I need after Mar. 3, so they said call back in a week and they will accommodate me, no problem. Of course, talk is cheap, so I take that for what it's worth. Not much. Even if given an appointment, in this environment there's no assurance until you have the shot in your arm. Cancellations are happening due to sparsity of supply.

Reactions: MtnMan

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Glad I'm not scheduled for this weekend out here. It went from like we may get up to 2 to 3 inches a day ago to maybe 18 overnight!. They've already announced that anyone scheduled for vaccines tomorrow are rescheduled to Tuesday. Note to self, park car in upper parking area by road. (Steep driveway).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm curious how are you folks here eligible for the vaccine? Age, occupation, health condition? I'm <40 with no illness, so expect I won't be close to a vaccine until closer to 2022! Has anyone in this bracket started getting it anywhere? I didn't think so.. But I still have to go to the office (where half the people don't wear masks.. ).
Essential worker.

I'm 39 with very mild case of asthma. But asthma didn't come into play as to why/how I got it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm curious how are you folks here eligible for the vaccine? Age, occupation, health condition? I'm <40 with no illness, so expect I won't be close to a vaccine until closer to 2022! Has anyone in this bracket started getting it anywhere? I didn't think so.. But I still have to go to the office (where half the people don't wear masks.. ).

At the tender age of 39 I've been diagnosed with stage 1 COPD. The lungs on either side of my family aren't good. Mom's side covered with athsma, dad's side has at least 3 people with COPD and my fraternal grandfather had bad emphysema for decades that landed him in hospitals repeatedly where he eventually caught a respiratory infection and died.

So my doctor said to get vaccinated as soon as I could and I qualify in TX since they opened to 1B.

Reactions: obidamnkenobi

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005

Supervisory Firefighter/Paramedic, though honestly I am more at risk from getting it from a coworker than a patient. My department was very well stocked and supplied with PPE before all of this started, so exposure risk on calls is minimal. However, we live in close quarters with other folks 24-48 hours at a time. We wear cloth face coverings at all times when not eating/sleeping/etc., and try to distance ourselves when we do any of that.

We also have a robust health monitoring/testing program, but anyone coming up positive is off work at least 10 days or so. So, I got my shot as soon as offered so I was less likely to have to take off. You need a certain number of bodies to be effective. And if we lose folks, we hold people mandatory to maintain our service level.

Reactions: obidamnkenobi

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
38 and healthy. I literally just recieved my second dose.

But I cheated by signing up for the Pfizer 3rd phase trials back in August. I'm getting the real version now after being given the placebo then being required to not hide from the virus for 3 months.

Technically I'm also an essential worker in that we keep mechanical systems running for hospitals and other critical infrastructure.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
38 and healthy. I literally just recieved my second dose.

But I cheated by signing up for the Pfizer 3rd phase trials back in August. I'm getting the real version now after being given the placebo then being required to not hide from the virus for 3 months.

Technically I'm also an essential worker in that we keep mechanical systems running for hospitals and other critical infrastructure.

Thank you for helping the testing process. And having worked in hospitals full time before my FD job, and then part time for a number of years, the facilities folks are just as (and arguably more) critical than clinical staff. Simply because there are far fewer of them that know how to keep everything running.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005

Healthcare worker...specifically medical device service and repair (MRI). I was at the bottom of group 1 and not slated to get dose 1 end of Feb in MA but the governor opened up shots for all healthcare workers 3rd week of January. I'm set to get my 2nd shot of Moderna Feb 24th.

I got my 1st shot at the mass vaccination site at Gillette stadium. They wrote the time you could leave (after the 15 min wait) on a card that also had a QR code. Scanning the code in the waiting area brought you to a website where you could read about the vaccine and schedule the 2nd shot. Clicking on the schedule button brought me to the calendar exactly 28 days from that day. Easy Peasy.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I walked away from my first dose yesterday from Kaiser with an appointment in hand for the second. I've been Pfizerized.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Other than CVS appointment system reminding me of bestbuys handling of console drops the actual vaccine process was quick. My appointment was at 3:30. Shot at 3:33. Out the door at 3:48.

ccryder

Nov 20, 2008
I received 2nd Pfizer dose yesterday. Had a terrible 12 hours or so with 102f fever and awful headache, starting about 12 hours after the shot. Fever below 100f now, and feeling much better. Hopefully that's the end of it.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
The 2nd Moderna does knocked me on my butt about 12 hours after the shot, fever, violent chills, headache and body aches. Have been running a low grade fever off and on all day. The injection site is more sore than the first injection.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Your best bet (IMO) to get the vaccine earlier is to look for info from a vaccination site/provider that indicates they have doses unaccounted for (nobody to take them) and they're willing to vaccinate without regard to eligibility. This has been happening some. Watch the news, get on notification lists, network with friends, coworkers, relatives.

Myself, I'm eligible by my state's standards and those of my healthcare provider, but I know people who've had their shot(s) who I think are not. I don't know how they got theirs.

Meantime, mask up well (get KN95's if you can, double mask), socially distance, take your vitamin D, vitamin C too, get your rest, eat well, don't take chances! Good luck!

I just picked up a variety of high quality masks made by BYD.

N95 NIOSH approved.

Surgical masks ASTM level 2 & 3, KN95 and children’s masks for wife and kids.

Company info.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
The 2nd Moderna does knocked me on my butt about 12 hours after the shot, fever, violent chills, headache and body aches. Have been running a low grade fever off and on all day. The injection site is more sore than the first injection.

Same here. I've gotten both do sessions the 2nd one took me down for a day. I won't say 12 hours but 24-36 hours was rough. I had a much stronger response than my wife. Deff worth it because my son got covid and neither of us did, which shows me it's working.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
18 hours after second dose, no fever and no headache however I do feel like I fell down a mountain. I have found entirely new areas of my body to be sore and all my joints feel like they have arthritis. Luckily it subsides nicely if I just keep moving.

• Wow

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
24hrs after first moderna shot.

headache, aches all over and fatigue. Feels like my first couple days of Covid sans fever.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
My mom got her second dose of Pfizer on Thursday and had a mild headache that night but felt good the next day. Strange because she said she had a really nasty headache the day after the first dose and you always hear the second dose is the real ass-kicker.

I'll get my second shot of Pfizer next week. First one gave me a mild headache a few hours after getting it but felt great the next day.