Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Just worked out and definitely felt a bit exhaused/fatigued and started to feel overall a bit "blah" while working out but pushed through it. I took some tylenol when I got home so hopefully it makes me feel a bit better. I definitely feel more tired now than I usually do after I workout.
I was back to normal feeling literally like 30-60 minutes after making this post. I don't know if it was the Tylenol working or if it was just exhausting being at the gym and once I was rested I felt fine, or if it was that I hydrated more after. But I was fine and feel fine now. The soreness in my shoulder is all but gone too.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I've started a bit of a service getting vaccine appointments for elderly neighbors and parents of friends/coworkers. I really don't know how they think the average 65+ is going to compete in this process. You need to be really fast to get appointments. Fast internet, fast typing, fast comprehension and navigation of web sites, etc. It is, IMO, heavily skewed against those who need it most.

I'm eligible in 1C here in NJ so I got an appointment for myself and two neighbors so far. First neighbor went today on 30 minutes notice due to me grabbing what was presumably a cancellation at the Meadowlands mega site. I suppose this is a nice side bonus of having a job where I am at a PC all day I can do things like this. My first exposure to the process should be Sunday morning when I take my neighbor, and then I go back Tuesday for mine. Feels like progress, finally.

Viper GTS

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I've started a bit of a service getting vaccine appointments for elderly neighbors and parents of friends/coworkers. I really don't know how they think the average 65+ is going to compete in this process. You need to be really fast to get appointments. Fast internet, fast typing, fast comprehension and navigation of web sites, etc. It is, IMO, heavily skewed against those who need it most.

I'm eligible in 1C here in NJ so I got an appointment for myself and two neighbors so far. First neighbor went today on 30 minutes notice due to me grabbing what was presumably a cancellation at the Meadowlands mega site. I suppose this is a nice side bonus of having a job where I am at a PC all day I can do things like this. My first exposure to the process should be Sunday morning when I take my neighbor, and then I go back Tuesday for mine. Feels like progress, finally.

Viper GTS

Good for you. I’ve been trying to help neighbors also. One came by today when she found I got my MIL signed up and asked for help getting her elderly parents signed up. She had been trying to use Publix here in Florida and was frustrated. I told her how to get signed up through the county. Sent her links to websites she needed.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

Viper GTS
Yeah my sister's friend is the reason that I even knew about the "shortcut" to get my appointment. She got my mom an appointment after she had failed so many times. Basically the direct link to appointments updates before the main MD website even updates that they have appointments available. It was apparently less known but now the cat is out of the bag.

My sister's friend, who works for the FDA and got herself one as well, has gotten over 60 elderly people appointments so far. After I found out about this and got myself one, I told my buddy who had been trying to get his dad and grandparents one for weeks, and that night he got all 3 of them an appointment for the following day.

I agree 100% that the older non-computer savy people have no chance to actually get in on these without help.

Reactions: Lanyap

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What scouring multiple sites with different interfaces, using form fillers/auto refresh, tabbing open anything that looks promising, strategically picking later appointments so they aren't scooped up from under you, and turning notifications on for a dozen obscure health department twitter accounts seems in the skill set of a typical grandparent?

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
What scouring multiple sites with different interfaces, using form fillers/auto refresh, tabbing open anything that looks promising, strategically picking later appointments so they aren't scooped up from under you, and turning notifications on for a dozen obscure health department twitter accounts seems in the skill set of a typical grandparent?

Exactly. Our newspaper announced YESTERDAY that YESTERDAY at 7AM some Publix pharmacies and some Walmart pharmacies would give vaccines in our county. I'm sure by the time most people read the paper, the appointments were all gone. They did the same kind of thing with the health department appointments. They announced on their website at 9:30 one morning that they were taking calls for appointments NOW. Needless to say, the phone crashed, they added another number, it crashed. They added a registration form which they never responded to so you had no idea if it went through. It was a big mess.

So now, if you are a senior in FL and haven't gotten vaccinated, you get to call or go through websites for your local health department, your own doctor, Walgreens, CVS, Publix, and Walmart. Sigh.

At least my county in FL leads the state in one covid stat that is a GOOD thing. Apparently we have vaccinated the largest % of the over 65 population in the state with 61%. The rest are still on hold with some vaccine provider.

Reactions: K1052

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
So while I got an appointment for today yesterday, today is icy all over Dallas Fort Worth. Schools were canceled today and as such I’m 55 miles away from my vaccination site. Probably not going to be able to make my appointment as the roads are still bad and temps won’t get above freezing until after 2pm.

Fortunatley I was able to snag an appointment at CVS tomorrow and my 2nd appointment on March 12. I’m still gonna try and get my shot today but now that I have a back up I won’t be willing to risk hazardous driving conditions.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
Just got the 2nd Moderna shot at work / school. Hopefully won't be any worse than the first which was just a slight blah feeling and a sore arm the next day.

Reactions: cytg111

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
So while I got an appointment for today yesterday, today is icy all over Dallas Fort Worth. Schools were canceled today and as such I’m 55 miles away from my vaccination site. Probably not going to be able to make my appointment as the roads are still bad and temps won’t get above freezing until after 2pm.

Fortunatley I was able to snag an appointment at CVS tomorrow and my 2nd appointment on March 12. I’m still gonna try and get my shot today but now that I have a back up I won’t be willing to risk hazardous driving conditions.

Hopefully you opted to stay home and so avoided this https://jalopnik.com/more-than-100-cars-and-trucks-crash-in-massive-pile-up-1846248784

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Nah I didn’t go anywhere. It was a mess all over today and I just got a brand new car I’m definitely going to risk driving on icy roads.

Right now most roads are mostly clear now from an ice standpoint but they are still working that massive wreck in Fort Worth. It was a 1.5mile long wreck. Not the backup but the actual smashed cars.

I’ll go to my local CVS and get my shot tomorrow at 3:30. Also was able to schedule my 2nd shot at the same time. So it’s Feb 12 and March 12. I guess it will be Moderna.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Having a tough time scheduling my followup Moderna shot. The people who set this up have kind of fumbled that. Nobody can schedule yet, and a week has passed since the soft rollout that amped up over the weekend and ended Monday. Berkeley, Golden Gate Fields parking lot, sponsored/coordinated by City of Berkeley and Curative (the company). Curative's supposed to email people... presumably, according to Berkeley, but they denied it when I talked to them and they aren't answering the phone now. They have a lot of irons in the fire, doing positivity testing, antibody testing, vaccinations, etc..

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Right now most roads are mostly clear now from an ice standpoint but they are still working that massive wreck in Fort Worth. It was a 1.5mile long wreck. Not the backup but the actual smashed cars.

I’ll go to my local CVS and get my shot tomorrow at 3:30. Also was able to schedule my 2nd shot at the same time. So it’s Feb 12 and March 12. I guess it will be Moderna.
1.5 mile long car smash up in TX, figures.

Scheduling the followup shot makes all the sense in the world when you get the first shot. The people who set up my Moderna #1 shot didn't do that and would only say they didn't know details on the followup and figured to have that worked out in a few days. One week later, everyone's still in the dark. Stupid is as stupid does. I just hope the people who handled storing, handling and administering the doses knew what they were doing. Everything else involved seems to be utter chaos. :rolleyes:

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
Just got the 2nd Moderna shot at work / school. Hopefully won't be any worse than the first which was just a slight blah feeling and a sore arm the next day.
Still alive? Second Moderna hit me harder than the first, and put a lot of my coworkers out for a day or two.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
Nah I didn’t go anywhere. It was a mess all over today and I just got a brand new car I’m definitely going to risk driving on icy roads.

Yeah, second Pfizer would have been 3/5.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Having a tough time scheduling my followup Moderna shot. The people who set this up have kind of fumbled that. Nobody can schedule yet, and a week has passed since the soft rollout that amped up over the weekend and ended Monday. Berkeley, Golden Gate Fields parking lot, sponsored/coordinated by City of Berkeley and Curative (the company). Curative's supposed to email people... presumably, according to Berkeley, but they denied it when I talked to them and they aren't answering the phone now. They have a lot of irons in the fire, doing positivity testing, antibody testing, vaccinations, etc..
Been there, and it sucks. And it is fucking frustrating because it is so simple. Get Pfizer, your appointment is in 21 days, Moderna, 28 days.... done. It eventually worked out for me, and I got mine on time, after 15 days of pounding on the system, or lack of.

As for testing, antibody testing, etc., that should not effect vaccinations. As bad as it was FUBAR here, all testing was done by a separate group.

My wife is getting hers in a neighboring county, and in one phone call she was given her first and second appointment. Simple and done with minimal effort on their part. Clearly someone needs to be fired for their competency.

This was not dropped in their lap all of a sudden, we have known for many months that vaccines were coming. More than adequate time to develop a strategy to manage, from building websites, creating phone banks, preparing locations, staffing, etc., etc. even without guidance from the feds at all. I simply am astounded at the apparent failure of so many state and county health departments to even have some semblance of being prepared.

Yea, there are going to be problems, shipment delays, weather, but those one off's have to be managed on a case by case basis. The most egregious one I heard was a county in FL tried to use Eventbrite as their scheduling platform, which promptly crashed. It's beyond comprehension that any health department was not prepared to begin vaccinations once shipments were received. Reality makes it clear that many were not.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I called my provider, a huge HMO that probably insures the majority of the insured in Northern California, Kaiser Permanente. Called last night around 7PM, finally got through to a living human being and explained that I got Moderna #1 a week ago, have gotten stone walled about my 2nd shot and figure that since Kaiser has said that I'm now in a position to schedule with them that they should be able to schedule a 2nd shot, since they likely do that all the time for their enrollees. The guy said call back 7AM-4PM.

I figure this: Schedule that 2nd shot. If the people who gave me the first shot do contact me (presumably in a week or so... it's so unclear, the city tells me by next week in one place, and in another place after one week :rolleyes:) I'll schedule with them, I don't care if Kaiser schedules me too. If I'm scheduled in 2 places, that beats being scheduled in one!!! Cancellations are common for covid-19 vaccinations. My priority is getting that dose in my arm on March 4, or very soon thereafter. :colbert:

The company administering the shot I got is evidently having problems locking down doses. I'm not going to depend on them if I can help it. I don't know if my HMO is flexible enough to accommodate me. Such is life nowadays! This is so YMMV. Personally, I think the massive craziness of the vaccine rollout is more than enough proof that we need a comprehensive national healthcare system in the USA.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I'm curious how are you folks here eligible for the vaccine? Age, occupation, health condition? I'm <40 with no illness, so expect I won't be close to a vaccine until closer to 2022! Has anyone in this bracket started getting it anywhere? I didn't think so.. But I still have to go to the office (where half the people don't wear masks.. ).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
People are ready to do anything to get a vaccine, and I have a friend, she is a health worker, so she categorically refused to get vaccinated, now she has big problems at work.
That's a problem. A lot of health workers are uneducated, haven't done their homework, don't understand vaccine development and testing and are :colbert:, I'm not taking that vaccine until I see that I'm not endangering myself by doing so. They don't understand the issues and the science.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I'm curious how are you folks here eligible for the vaccine? Age, occupation, health condition? I'm <40 with no illness, so expect I won't be close to a vaccine until closer to 2022! Has anyone in this bracket started getting it anywhere? I didn't think so.. But I still have to go to the office (where half the people don't wear masks.. ).

In my case I'm immune suppressed. I also happen to work in media which alone would have eventually gotten me 1C (stupid, IMO) but my current eligibility is due to the immune suppression.

Viper GTS

Reactions: obidamnkenobi

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Your best bet (IMO) to get the vaccine earlier is to look for info from a vaccination site/provider that indicates they have doses unaccounted for (nobody to take them) and they're willing to vaccinate without regard to eligibility. This has been happening some. Watch the news, get on notification lists, network with friends, coworkers, relatives.

Myself, I'm eligible by my state's standards and those of my healthcare provider, but I know people who've had their shot(s) who I think are not. I don't know how they got theirs.

Meantime, mask up well (get KN95's if you can, double mask), socially distance, take your vitamin D, vitamin C too, get your rest, eat well, don't take chances! Good luck!

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Your best bet (IMO) to get the vaccine earlier is to look for info from a vaccination site/provider that indicates they have doses unaccounted for (nobody to take them) and they're willing to vaccinate without regard to eligibility. This has been happening some. Watch the news, get on notification lists, network with friends, coworkers, relatives.
Thanks. Just saw such a local Facebook group the other day. But not sure if they'll take folks in group 8F or whatever I am.. But so many people are looking to jump on these I'd really just be taking it from someone else, who probably need it more. So I'll just have to wait.

Reactions: Muse