Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
It’s day three for my second Moderna shot and I’m pain free. My wife and I had a different experience. She got chills and a headache on her second day, however she felt good today and went to work. I will find out later on how her day went.

Last edited:

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
In laws (both 70+) will be getting first shot in about 2 weeks so things are moving along albeit slowly. At this rate I'll probably be getting mine around summer time.

nintendo1889

Dec 27, 2011
The big thing is that even though YOU might not be at risk, you may still be a transmission vector for others who aren't vaccinated. So don't throw your mask away just because your vaccination is fully effective (or as effective as it's going to be)
The pfizer explicitly only lessens your symptoms, and does nothing for transmissivity. It is stated in jargonistic language on the pfizer investor relations site, which is required by law to not have marketing.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The pfizer explicitly only lessens your symptoms, and does nothing for transmissivity. It is stated in jargonistic language on the pfizer investor relations site, which is required by law to not have marketing.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Is it that they haven't studied transmissivity yet, or explicitly that it does nothing? I know there's been some early work suggesting AstraZeneca might reduce transmission.

Reactions: Muse

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Is it that they haven't studied transmissivity yet, or explicitly that it does nothing? I know there's been some early work suggesting AstraZeneca might reduce transmission.
It was not part of the study for Pfizer.

Common sense says less symptoms means less virus means less transmission but no one is going to say that without hard data.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Got my first dose of Pfizer at 11:55am today. I haven't had any kind of side effects yet nearly 5 hours later. I expected my shoulder to be a bit sore since it usually is from flu vaccine, but so far nothing. I know I'm not out of the woods yet but I'm planning on going to the gym tomorrow regardless of it aching or not.

Reactions: local

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
While I was at my VA appointment today my nurse asked me if I'd gotten my shot to which I said no and he informed me that they were signing up 55+ vets now and asked if I wanted to get on the list. You better believe I signed up. Hopefully I'll get some in the arm soon.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It was not part of the study for Pfizer.

Common sense says less symptoms means less virus means less transmission but no one is going to say that without hard data.

That's my thinking. It's not that it guarantees you won't carry the virus, but it could greatly reduce your viral load and the time the virus remains in your body. We may beat COVID-19 simply by making life miserable for the virus whenever it wants to spread.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Pre-print of study indicating that vaccines reduce viral load and thus likely reduce transmission:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Got my first dose of Pfizer at 11:55am today. I haven't had any kind of side effects yet nearly 5 hours later. I expected my shoulder to be a bit sore since it usually is from flu vaccine, but so far nothing. I know I'm not out of the woods yet but I'm planning on going to the gym tomorrow regardless of it aching or not.
My arm hurt bad enough the day after Moderna #1 that I didn't feel like doing some things, lots of things. I didn't do my daily skate, but thought about it. Day after was better, and after that I was close to 100% with the arm. YMMV, of course.

AFAIK, my gym is still closed. 24hourfitness, and they filed for bankruptcy several months back. I don't know if they're going to continue. I figure probably after restructuring, settling debts in court. I think they closed some facilities, but I think mine probably not. It was pretty new. I hope it's a go, because I have a lifetime deal with them for $100/year, having paid a bunch up front some years ago. I guess they needed capital. A lot of people got in on that.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
My arm hurt bad enough the day after Moderna #1 that I didn't feel like doing some things, lots of things. I didn't do my daily skate, but thought about it. Day after was better, and after that I was close to 100% with the arm. YMMV, of course.

AFAIK, my gym is still closed. 24hourfitness, and they filed for bankruptcy several months back. I don't know if they're going to continue. I figure probably after restructuring, settling debts in court. I think they closed some facilities, but I think mine probably not. It was pretty new. I hope it's a go, because I have a lifetime deal with them for $100/year, having paid a bunch up front some years ago. I guess they needed capital. A lot of people got in on that.
They already out of bankruptcy. Friend of my told me that day after vaccine his armed was extremely sore, like he spent all day in the gym. Btw he is only 35

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
"Big yikes "

it is a legitimate story to keep an eye on and you flippantly dismissed it?

Dismiss it? Seriously? After I post the article to deliver its information in the first place. The translation for that phrase would be "oh !@#$". Or "This is serious".

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

Yeah my shoulder is pretty sore this morning. It's very similar to flu shot soreness for me. I plan on going to the gym later to do back and biceps and my normal routine.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Just worked out and definitely felt a bit exhaused/fatigued and started to feel overall a bit "blah" while working out but pushed through it. I took some tylenol when I got home so hopefully it makes me feel a bit better. I definitely feel more tired now than I usually do after I workout.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
They already out of bankruptcy. Friend of my told me that day after vaccine his armed was extremely sore, like he spent all day in the gym. Btw he is only 35
Yeah, my arm was that sore. Hurt to just raise the arm.
Just worked out and definitely felt a bit exhaused/fatigued and started to feel overall a bit "blah" while working out but pushed through it. I took some tylenol when I got home so hopefully it makes me feel a bit better. I definitely feel more tired now than I usually do after I workout.
Similar for me. The day after the shot I didn't do a ton of stuff, didn't skate (which I usually do weather permitting), wasn't sure if it was the shot or sleep deprivation, so it wasn't totally obvious to me that it was shot induced fatigue. But one unusual thing did happen: Although the room wasn't especially cool (for now, middle of winter) I felt a chill for a few minutes. That, I figure, was due to the injection. I took my temperature a few times that day and it was never over 98.3F.

Edit: 2 days after Moderna #1, I was roller skating, a usually daily thing, and I had a slight headache. Never happened before, so I thought probably after effect.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Arm was sore this morning. I tried talking myself into not feeling that good, but I still did my Sunday morning laundry (I know, why, I'm retired), and did my walk around the lake. It was too beautiful of a day to waste. I feel just fine. We will get through this! Killing time watching golf before not seeing the Seahawks at the super bowl.

Nice. I had a little bit of a headache the night after getting Pfizer shot #1. Will be getting #2 hopefully next week. Won't know until Friday if the appointment is confirmed though.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Also when my mom got Pfizer #1 she had a bad headache the next day and said she spent most of the day in bed. My dad said he had no reaction other than the standard arm soreness after Pfizer #1.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
5 days post-Pfizer #2 and I probably had a day or two of general tiredness and arm soreness that I couldn't really distinguish from adulting.

Reactions: K1052

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I'm dose #2 + 9 days (Pfizer), so should be at or close to my best protection level.

Actually the stress of scheduling, plus hours and hours trying to schedule far exceed any side effects of the actual shots.

The real pisser was I could not get an answer from the local health department to confirm dose #2 appointment. That took 15 fucking days from dose #1 to actually nail down. I talked to people on the phone, exchanged emails yet no one could/would answer my question about dose #2 appointment, crap like "watch the website", "we'll contact you closer to when it is due". It was down to the point I was going to show up on day 21, as I knew where dose #2 was being administered, and leave either with dose #2 on board, or under arrest in the back of a patrol car.

As for side effects, 36 hours arm was tender both times. Much less than this seasons flu shot which I got in October that left with a sore arm for 3+ days.

Wife's experience, in a neighboring county, much different, about 90 minutes on hold to get an appointment, at which point she got both appointments. She goes for #2 Sunday. Her reaction to dose #1 (Pfizer), tender arm for a day or so.

As frustrating as it was, I should also point out that the people actually doing the work from paperwork, giving the shot, observation wait, were great and had efficient workflow. The people responsible for scheduling can go pound sand.

Reactions: Jaskalas

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'm dose #2 + 9 days (Pfizer), so should be at or close to my best protection level.

Actually the stress of scheduling, plus hours and hours trying to schedule far exceed any side effects of the actual shots.

The real pisser was I could not get an answer from the local health department to confirm dose #2 appointment. That took 15 fucking days from dose #1 to actually nail down. I talked to people on the phone, exchanged emails yet no one could/would answer my question about dose #2 appointment, crap like "watch the website", "we'll contact you closer to when it is due". It was down to the point I was going to show up on day 21, as I knew where dose #2 was being administered, and leave either with dose #2 on board, or under arrest in the back of a patrol car.

As for side effects, 36 hours arm was tender both times. Much less than this seasons flu shot which I got in October that left with a sore arm for 3+ days.

Wife's experience, in a neighboring county, much different, about 90 minutes on hold to get an appointment, at which point she got both appointments. She goes for #2 Sunday. Her reaction to dose #1 (Pfizer), tender arm for a day or so.

As frustrating as it was, I should also point out that the people actually doing the work from paperwork, giving the shot, observation wait, were great and had efficient workflow. The people responsible for scheduling can go pound sand.
I had my second appointment at check in, before getting the first shot. NJ did it right!

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I had my second appointment at check in, before getting the first shot. NJ did it right!
Yep, it ain't rocket surgery. Hopefully they have gotten smarter since the first offered to 1b folks. I did get an appointment for the first day 1b group received doses, and was told I was due 2/1, and to watch the website. At that point the phone system had crashed due to the calls, and the website overwhelmed. It was day 15 after far too much effort on my part that I finally got appointment #2.

I should have been given appointment #2 the moment I was stuck and they knew I was due in 21 or 28 days depending on which one I got. That would have been far to easy all around. Instead a lot of extra work for their staff and far too much angst on the recipients part. I was in contact with others in the same situation, and no answers forthcoming.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
My 92yo MIL got Maderna #1 yesterday. No pain or any other side affects. She was back to her normal active routine after the shot.

So you manly men need to suck it up and stop being wimps.

j/k. She did do great but I know it affects everyone differently. So just think if a little old 92yo lady can handle it you can too. :)