Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
So, you'd rather be part of the problem than part of the solution, because reasons, I suppose. Freedumb. Protection of precious bodily fluids. 5G controlled mind control nanobots. Cranio-rectal infarction. whatevs.
I do not believe in any of those conspiracy. I want to see long term impact of the vaccine. Normally it takes 5-10 years for vaccine to come to the market, which means if anything is bad long term it's only founded way before it's approved. Here that obviously is not happening.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I've had similar thoughts up to and after getting my 2nd Moderna covid shot, which was also yesterday. It was a drive through. There were two women giving the shots and I wanted the younger one, but she waved me by so I got mine from a woman who looked at least 65. I looked at her and asked her "what volume of vaccine is the dose?" Her reply was what I expected, which was reassuring: "0.5 cc." However, it's a hole in the wall company. I was actually scheduled for today (28 days from shot #1) but they sent me an evidently hastily prepared email 2 days ago saying the "due to supply issues" they were moving the Mar. 4 people up to Mar. 3! I'm WTF! Sounds like straight up bullshit. I've been hearing in recent days that many people in my area, even second shotters, are having their appointments cancelled due to insufficient supply. This all made me wonder: How sure can you be that what they shoot into your arm is OK, the real deal, not compromised? Is there a black market in this stuff? Would some institutions sell some of theirs they weren't confident about at a discount to smaller companies?

My arm is sore, but I've had no fever. It's about 20 hours since my shot. I honestly hope I feel at least worse than after shot #1, but it hasn't happened so far.

I'm glad for the fact that there will probably be a booster coming. That should counteract one or both of my previous shots not being "up to snuff."

I haven't seen any discussion of the QA involved with these mRNA vaccines. Yes, the companies are saying they're doing due diligence, but why should I take their word for it?

I "guess" we'll just have to trust them, seeing that they ARE professionals and all. :( I kinda hope that a yearly booster is necessary. I don't see the big deal, just add the booster in with the yearly flu-shot. Or just give two shots when you get your yearly flu-shot. I don't see why getting a booster shot would bother anyone seeing that we already are use to getting a yearly flu-shot. Plus, a yearly booster could address any possible covid variants or what WE use to call it MUTATIONS. What is this baloney with calling it VARIANTS, they are MUTATIONS. Or is THAT no longer considered politically correct? :rolleyes:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Lets be honest, there is no such thing as 0 on anything. Plane can crash in to my house in the next 10 minutes and i will die. At this point i know many people that been infected with Covid, i do not know a single person that actually died or having long term side effect as result of it. Yes my position on this is selfish.

Keep in mind that vaccination is also likely to reduce the chances that you'll transmit the virus to others. You're not doing it just for yourself, you're doing it for others who might be exposed to you while you're sick.

So you'll be getting the vaccine, then.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Plus, a yearly booster could address any possible covid variants or what WE use to call it MUTATIONS. What is this baloney with calling it VARIANTS, they are MUTATIONS. Or is THAT no longer considered politically correct? :rolleyes:
Do your own research. There are a lot of Youtube videos, for instance, that explain variants and how they develop with respect to this coronavirus. It's nuanced stuff. Using the term "mutants" isn't appropriate. Variants is much more appropriate. Dig into the science and you will understand why.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
I'll chip in a little more to this discussion.

First, I see that some people are not being asked to wait after their shots to see if they have an allergic reaction. My understanding is that it is important that your do! Anaphylactic reactions are rare but can be very serious if not treated promptly. I personally know two people who have had anaphylactic reactions to the Pfizer vaccine even though they never had any reactions to other shots. You should see any symptoms within fifteen minutes, but I waited 30 minutes after each shot just to be on the safe side. It also seems like a good idea to me to have some Benadryl (diphenhydramine) on hand at home just in case something develops later.

Second, I was forewarned that side effects were more likely after the second shot and so was not surprised when a few mild symptoms popped up later that day and dragged a bit into the next day. But even after those symptoms left, I wasn't completely back to my normal self for about a week. It seemed that my immune system and the vaccine were still having negotiations over how to operate my gastrointestinal system and I had occasional short episodes of mild abdominal discomfort while swimming. Again, nothing at all worrisome. Just be open to the possibility that you may feel some effects from the shot for longer than a couple days.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Do your own research. There are a lot of Youtube videos, for instance, that explain variants and how they develop with respect to this coronavirus. It's nuanced stuff. Using the term "mutants" isn't appropriate. Variants is much more appropriate. Dig into the science and you will understand why.

Hmmm, looking that up I didn't find the answer (so far) but did find this comment
COVID has fewer mutations than other RNA viruses because it can correct some of the mistakes made during replication.

Which is interesting. So, like windows when backing up to my external hard-drive, it has error-correction?

I'm curious about the exact mechanism of the 'mistakes' in replication that lead to variants. Is there a kind of meta-evolution at work that means it's bad for a virus to have too much error-correction capacity? Because producing more variants means it's more likely one of them will survive and thrive? i.e. it's good to make mistakes?

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Got the jab yesterday. Was surprisingly quick. And barely noticed the actual jab. Just hope the jabsmith jabbed the jab-stick correctly (I believe those are the correct technical terms?). Feel pretty unwell today, but it's very hard to tell the difference from how unwell I usually feel anyway. The leaflet said the arm pain would start on the second day, so far not particularly bad.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I am in the age group where chances of serious illness /death is low. Both of us never smoked, in great shape etc. We have decided that for now and maybe long term we will not be getting this vaccine. Like is said i might be doing something very stupid and life will teach me a lesson very soon that i will never forget.

It's quite stupid. I have a family member in his early 30s likely in much better shape than you (unless you walk 20 miles a day in a warehouse loading and unloading heavy packages) who had fever around 102 for two weeks and three months later still has nasty lung problems thanks to COVID.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Lets be honest, there is no such thing as 0 on anything. Plane can crash in to my house in the next 10 minutes and i will die. At this point i know many people that been infected with Covid, i do not know a single person that actually died or having long term side effect as result of it. Yes my position on this is selfish.

I know 3 killed by COVID, including one in his mid 30s.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
As I look over all the complaints, concerns, and fears in this thread I realized something.
This is EXACTLY the same as the flu vaccine. It saved millions of lives and reduced countless hardships, but people are still trying to fight it.
And their penalty for such attitudes could be death. Not their deaths either, but of an innocent bystander who wanted to live and did everything they could to protect their lives.

GROUP IMMUNITY IS REAL! And we need to fucking embrace it for the good of all!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It seemed that my immune system and the vaccine were still having negotiations over how to operate my gastrointestinal system and I had occasional short episodes of mild abdominal discomfort while swimming. Again, nothing at all worrisome. Just be open to the possibility that you may feel some effects from the shot for longer than a couple days.
I was feeling pretty good ("normal") ~48 hours after my 2nd Moderna shot a couple days ago and figured I'd probably resume my daily 6 miles balls-out skate of a local smooth-paved street on my quads. They've been doing road work on that street since November that was supposed to be done in less than a month but has dragged on. I go out there every 2-3 days with a broad broom and sweep pebbles in a swath wide enough for me to pass through, a stretch about 50-70 yards, depending on how much junk I see. I did this, and when I got home realized I was in no shape to skate. My guts were in upheaval, I was fatigued. So yesterday, 72 hours after the shot, I figured I didn't need to sweep again (one day later) but doubted if I was ready for my strenuous skate. Late in the afternoon, I felt "fine" (knock on wood), and decided to give it a try, without the acid test of trying anything physically challenging. I pulled it off. Not as great a skate as I'd expect after 3 days "rest" but pretty good. I do this wearing a heart rate monitor, so I have data to monitor how I'm doing. I'll probably skate today unless I have a setback. Didn't sleep as well last night, colder in my bedroom than I expected!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Got the jab yesterday. Was surprisingly quick. And barely noticed the actual jab. Just hope the jabsmith jabbed the jab-stick correctly (I believe those are the correct technical terms?). Feel pretty unwell today, but it's very hard to tell the difference from how unwell I usually feel anyway. The leaflet said the arm pain would start on the second day, so far not particularly bad.
Arm pain was my biggest after effect from Moderna #1, starting ~7 hours after the jab and didn't disappear "entirely" for about 3 days. Started feeling arm pain (both times my first symptom) about 5 hours after shot #2, and the arm pain was never near as severe as that experienced after shot #1, but other symptoms were much more severe, including fatigue, chills, feeling overly warm, and what I didn't get after first shot: Fever that started low and kept creeping up, maxing out at 100.8F. Fever started about 21 hours after shot, finally all but gone about 32 hours after shot. Fatigue and some occasional queasiness lingered for 2 more days.

I never experienced anything close to the sense of misery I usually get when I get sick, i.e. even with a cold. To me, that's the biggie. I adjusted, I did NOT suffer! I am SO glad I got vaccinated. I figure in a few days I'm pretty much max protected. Officially it's 10 days from now.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This is EXACTLY the same as the flu vaccine. It saved millions of lives and reduced countless hardships, but people are still trying to fight it.
And their penalty for such attitudes could be death. Not their deaths either, but of an innocent bystander who wanted to live and did everything they could to protect their lives.

That's just it. Look beyond yourself, it's your civic duty to get vaccinated. If you don't give a shit about yourself, well, I suppose you can't be expected to give a shit about anyone else. But look, if you get covid you might be miserable for the rest of your life, whether that's a month or 60 years. that's the simple truth. Do you want to avoid that? Get vaccinated!

Closest parallel I can think of is Pearl Harbor. Americans were outraged, rushed to the draft office to enlist for Army, Navy, Airforce, got jobs in the war effort. People were very patriotic. We need herd immunity. It will save lives, prevent long term often devastating illnesses we don't comprehend now, reinvigorate the economy, take millions out of poverty. Think of the misery of people who suffer from covid. The misery of their families. The misery of the overworked medical staffers who are already suffering PTSD, that won't ever go away. It's your patriotic duty to get vaccinated and 100x easier than fighting WW II.

Last edited:

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Got Pfizer #2 this morning. Even quicker than the first time, though I kind of cheated and used my neighbors handicapped parking placard + put him in a wheelchair. We had heard stories of people waiting 3 hours at that site since our first experience so we weren't taking chances. He's doing well for 87 but 3 hours on his feet isn't going to happen. As it turned out lines were nearly non existent so he probably would have been fine. In and out 40 minutes total for both of us.

Viper GTS

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I know a lot of people that drive every day, and have never been seriously injured in an MVA. So why the fuck do we need airbags, and seatbelts for? Or lots of people that have lived in their home for decades and have never had a fire, so why the fuck do they have smoke detectors?

Now if you live like a hermit and have no interaction at all with people that ARE vulnerable to possible complications or death from COVID, then I can support your selfish position.

With your selfish attitude about protecting others, may I suggest that if you are not a hermit, that you consider becoming a hermit. You are not responsible or mature enough to be a member of society.

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
As I look over all the complaints, concerns, and fears in this thread I realized something.

And why people today are not given the polio or smallpox vaccine. The scar from my smallpox vaccine has faded away over time, but virtually everyone used to have one.

I'm old enough that I remember the polio epidemic had a significant impact on life, school, etc., today look at you like "what's polio". Search "why did polio go away" on Google... vaccines.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
It's quite stupid. I have a family member in his early 30s likely in much better shape than you (unless you walk 20 miles a day in a warehouse loading and unloading heavy packages) who had fever around 102 for two weeks and three months later still has nasty lung problems thanks to COVID.
My wife’s teenage cousin who was in high school track was sick with it for almost two months and ended up with heart damage. She’s slowly recovering.

Of three co-workers who I know had it one said it was less awful than the flu, one ended up in the hospital (recovering now) and one had his wife die from it.

It’s really a crap shoot if you are going to end up fine, hospitalized, with long term impacts, or dead. Or end up infecting someone else who ends up in one of those categories.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I’ll add several SE Texas coastal counties have removed restriction on getting the vaccine. I figure because they are less populated and have more conservative populations they’re probably running out of people willing to be vaccinated.

So if you live within a couple hour round trip to SE Texas start looking there for shots.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
This thread gives me hope, glad to see those of you who got it done already. I am at least a month away from eligibility here.
@Viper GTS , good on you for helping out the neighbor ! That is by no means "cheating" and you made proper use of that parking spot.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
As I already posted in OT I received shot #1 of Moderna earlier today @ a local CVS. *(credit to Muse!)

:D

So far slight irritation at the shot site and the muscles in my left arm still feel a little weird ... not sore so much as just not right somehow. No big deal at all though.

Appointment #2 is April 5th 12:15 pm same location. :)

EDIT: I used the below-linked website which tracks appointment cancellations by zip-code. (just keep hitting refresh) Pretty sure they also have a phone app but you'll have to look.

Find-A-Shot.org

Reactions: Muse and skyking

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Having a grandson who is a firefighter/EMT, we often listen to the fire and EMS dispatch.

Today heard a single car MVA/roll-over, subject ejected. First on scene said patient was 150 - 200 feet from vehicle, and to advise the hospital a "code trauma" would be coming in. I'm sure this person had driven thousands of times and arrived where they were going safely. Now they are in the trauma center or the morgue, haven't heard which.

Only stupid people operate under the assumption of "it can't happen to me".

Locally there was coverage of a 19-year-old college student on a field and track scholarship to ASU. Died within days of contracting COVID.

• Wow
Reactions: Muse

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Having a grandson who is a firefighter/EMT, we often listen to the fire and EMS dispatch.

Today heard a single car MVA/roll-over, subject ejected. First on scene said patient was 150 - 200 feet from vehicle, and to advise the hospital a "code trauma" would be coming in. I'm sure this person had driven thousands of times and arrived where they were going safely. Now they are in the trauma center or the morgue, haven't heard which.

Locally there was coverage of a 19-year-old college student on a field and track scholarship to ASU. Died within days of contracting COVID.

The tall scary guy in the black robe with the scythe gets unlimited misses .... we OTOH get only one hit.

:D :confused_old:

BTW I am feeling a little bit shaky at this point... sorta like I'm coming down with something. Which I suppose is at least partially the case!

Best out of 7 ?? :p

Last edited:

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021

There is difference between it can't happen to me and chances that it can happen to me are low enough that i am willing to take the risk in case it does happen to me.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
There is difference between it can't happen to me and chances that it can happen to me are low enough that i am willing to take the risk in case it does happen to me.

That's so brave of you to be willing to take that risk for everyone you might encounter too. It's a good thing they have you looking out for them to make sure they get their fair shot at death.

Viper GTS