Have you folks seen these As Seen On TVPC's

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
I was up late last night surfing the junk box when I stumbled onto a paid advertisement for these As Seen On TVPC's. At first glance the system they were selling seemes loaded to the gills..

I was just interested in your opinions. What do you think about these As Seen On TVPC,s. It seemed that the system they were offering was not at all bad for the price. What's the catch?? Here was the system they had availiable for $1489.

AMD Athlon 1000, (T-Bird??), (sweet).
256 MB SDRAM PC133, Unknown Manufacturer, But RAM is Pretty much RAM in my book.
12x/40x DVD-ROM, Unknown Manufacturer
Sony 8x/4x/32x CDRW, (wish this was a Plextor w/burnproof, but we can't have everything) :(
SB "Compatible". Well, it's only $50 for the Real Deal, and I already have the software I want.
Cyber Audio 4.1 flat panel speaker array, (Never heard of them. Typically flat panel's tend to be NICE!!! The S.W. was Monsterous!!!)
17" Monitor, 16" viewable .27DP (I've seen better)
45GB UltraATA HDD, 5400. Unknown Manufacturer, (That makes me a little uneasy)
32MB TNT2 , (OK, it's not the greatest, but still not bad.)
Micro ATX MOBO, (I wish I knew what chipset it had)
Lexmark color ink jet printer, Unknown DPI
MicroTek Flatbad Scanner, Unknown DPI
Windows ME, (sux, I'd have Win98SE on it within an hour after unpacking), Office 2000, (SCHWEET), Correll Office, (Never used it).
Unknown 56k v.90 Fax Modem, (Paperweight, just taking up a PCI slot for someting cool, like a DVD 5.1 Decoder Card.)
10/100 Base T NIC.
USB WebCam, Hawking Technologies, (Good, Bad, Ugly?? I'm ignorant when it comes to webcams.)
Ultimate Gamers Pro JoyStick, kinda resembles the old WingMan sticks.

Now even with the unknowns, it still has to run stable if they're going to sell it to every swinging d!ck with a telephone and a credit card. Over all this is quite a bit cheaper than what I could build a similar system for (to MY hardware standards of course). But it still seems like a Hell of a "Bang for the Buck".

What do you know about this company. They have this machine on their web site too, www.asseenontvpc.com .

Check it out an gimmie a shout back.

JR..

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmmm... looks interesting...

The sound is actually built onto the board, so it's software based, and probably sucks.
The NIC is probably builtin as well.
The modem takes up the CNR slot on the MB, so you could yank it, but it wouldn't do much good.

BUT(!!!)

Take a better look at their website, the system price is as follows:

MSRP $ 2,499.00 (Yeah, right... I could build one for less)
COMDEX SALE PRICE $ 1,999.00 (still no good)
MAIL-IN PRINTER REBATE DETAILS... ($30.00) (Ah, here we go. Knew there had to be a catch. Tons of rebates...)
MONITOR REBATE DETAILS... ($50.00)
STAMPS.COM REBATE DETAILS... ($30.00)
TOTAL PRICE BEFORE MSN REBATE $ 1,889.00 (still about $300-400 too expensive)
OPTIONAL MSN REBATE DETAILS... ($400.00)
FINAL COST AFTER ALL REBATES BUY NOW! $ 1,489.00

Conclusion: It's a lousy deal, and I'd stay away, especially since they don't tell you EVERY component that you'd be getting...

Dave

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
I'm skeptical of anyting I don't build myself. I like to know exactly what's in my machine, and what drivers I need for it.