Have you ever walked through the drive-through?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Damn, I thought my town was boring at 13K people, but some of you guys actually had the police called on you for walking through a drive-thru? I know California is as Commie as it goes in the US, but damn...

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Once at In-n-Out at about 1a.m. A friend and I went through on bicycles. The guy loved it.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Hilarious:laugh:.

Didn't know they were so strict on the "you must burn a gallon of gas waiting for food".

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
They don't want you to do it because it's a liability for the resturaunt. And why would someone want to walk through the drive-thru besides looking for trouble?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
it has to be a safety issue.

I've gone thru a few ATM-drive thrus on foot though. Obviously no problems.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
A friend and I did it at Donut Connection awhile back. We were on rollerblades and didn't wanna take them off to go in the store. I don't remember if we got served or not. I think we did and they said not to do it again.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
They don't want you to do it because it's a liability for the resturaunt. And why would someone want to walk through the drive-thru besides looking for trouble?

Or they could simply be hungry and want to purchase crappy food?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

maybe because the lobby closes at midnight but drive through is open 24 hours?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I have before. We were staying at a hotel and I got hungry one night so I walked over to the drive-thru. I didn't really have any issues as there were no cars in line or anything.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Shawn
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
Originally posted by: Alone
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Burger King on Bell School Rd shot me down.

My drivers side window won't work.

Open the door, or go through backwards.

LMAO...we went through backwards once because the window didn't work. We paid and the bitch was like, "You had better turn that car around before you get to the next window." We didn't. When we *FINALLY* got our food, she was like, "just so you know, the reason your food took so long is that we wanted to make sure that the Sheriff's were here in time." We took off fast after that and literally, the Winnebago County Sheriff's were pulling into McD's about ten secs after we left. We got lucky, I guess.

So going through the drive through backwards is illegal?

nvm

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I used to go through the drive through on my bike in college all the time... the local McD's and Dunkin Donuts didn't have bike racks, and I think the managers preferred us college kids not screwing around inside :p

walking through the drive through is kind of a retarded move, though. wtf is the point?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Never successfully.

Originally posted by: Ronstang
We did it once when I was in HS many years ago. Four of us pulled up to the window in an "imaginary" car with one guy making car sounds. They were laughing so hard in the McDonalds that they went ahead and gave us our food.

Even this tactic didn't work for us.

bobert

Dec 6, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481
walking through the drive through is kind of a retarded move, though. wtf is the point?

Originally posted by: waggy

maybe because the lobby closes at midnight but drive through is open 24 hours?

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
Originally posted by: Alone
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Burger King on Bell School Rd shot me down.

My drivers side window won't work.

Open the door, or go through backwards.

LMAO...we went through backwards once because the window didn't work. We paid and the bitch was like, "You had better turn that car around before you get to the next window." We didn't. When we *FINALLY* got our food, she was like, "just so you know, the reason your food took so long is that we wanted to make sure that the Sheriff's were here in time." We took off fast after that and literally, the Winnebago County Sheriff's were pulling into McD's about ten secs after we left. We got lucky, I guess.

Shens. How would you know the cops were there after you left? And why would a sherrif even bother to respond to such a BS call?

10 seconds is not enough time that you can't see where you came from, all you have to do is look behind you.......

If its a small town, then yah, the Sherrifs do respond to calls such as this.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Just the ATM drive through machines. I do it a lot but It feels awkward everytime. Never had a car pull up behind me thankfully. I'd rather not do it but some of the dang banks only have drive through ATMs and non on the sidewalk side.

And as far as food places go.... It's probably against policy because a car could pull around and not see a person walking or standing in the drivethrough lane and hit them.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Phoenix86
So what exactly is the "safety issue" involved?
people standing in between constantly moving cars on their property ?