Have You Ever Taken Your Computer to a Shop

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
just a random poll, inspired by the computer sales horror stories thread in GH.

I had to take my computer in to a local shop a couple times when I was younger (ie: highschool-ish). Didn't really get into computer hardware until I was in college, so I had to take it in for stupid things like adding an extra hard drive or upgrading the RAM.

in fairness, of course, it was an AT computer. I was looking at the box a few weeks ago, and it was like trying to read a foreign language. I still haven't figured out how to remove the ram, but at this point, I'm thinking of just dumping it into a trash bin.

never really had a horrible experience with the guys, though in retrospect, they have my admiration for not being totally confused by a non-ATX case ;)

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Thats a negatory....but I might have to take my laptop in to one soon looks like

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I should have voted yes. I used to take mine in ... because I worked there. The bench was convenient. ;)

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Nope. I've always made my own PCs and have been able to fix them whenever something goes wrong.

Dave

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
bwaaahhahahhhahhahaha

oh man i laughed so hard i couldnt even type bwahaha... properly

the answer is HELL NO!

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Nope, I prefer to do battle with my computer...err...figure the problem out myself. AT has been a great resource for that.

Aug 27, 2002
I have vastly more repair knowledge than the "freshouta college" or "old geek who thinks he knows what he's doing" goofs at those places......and yes, I do have a AAS degree in Computer Maintanence Technologies and Electrical Engineering from T.S.T.C.

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
I once took my PC to have it repaired at CompUSA because it was free and I was too lazy to do it. Well I got the PC back 2 days later and when I got it home and turned it on it shot white smoke out of the back of it and filled my room with smoke in under 10 seconds. I opened the case and found that the power for the A: drive properly plugged in and it destroyed my power supply. From that day on I've never been too lazy to work on my own PC. Lesson learned.....

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I've taken about a dozen macs to the "shop" over the years to demand free work done on apple's numerous recalls... I don't count that though... They ranged from jacks coming loose from their solder points on powerbooks to the cases becoming cracked to hardware corruption in the floppy controllers....

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Back in the day when I was younger and motherboards were a lot more valuable. I spent $20 to have some one solder on a replacement component.