Have you ever made French fries from scratch?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FelixDeCat, Apr 25, 2012.

1. MagnusTheBrewer

ALL diets are an attempt to adjust or, make up for, poor eating habits to begin with. There's no secret to eating healthy. You just need to eat smaller portions of a large variety of foods.

PSA: Eating at a different fast food hole every day does not constitute a "large variety."

2. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

yup this. i make my own rarely, and thats what i do. i used to freeze them first too, but you have to lay them out on cookie sheets or they clump together.

but anymore when i want to make my own i batter them. its messy and a little more work, but its the most amazing thing ever.

normally though, i buy store bought frozen plain fries and bake them good in the toaster oven. super crisy, super easy and its not like its much different then making your own health wise... its just potatoes

3. Howard

Howard Lifer

Sounds like a good thing to me. Why the hate against diets?

4. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

because there shouldnt be a need for special diets. your diet should be your normal consumption of healthy food. once and a while, sure- get taco bell. and your body will show you what it thinks of that the next time you go to the bathroom :D

5. SlitheryDee

SlitheryDee Lifer

Why is a runny evacuation such a cause for concern? It's not like you have people judging the relative quality of your crap. It isn't really unpleasant, just different. Why do people keep citing this as some kind of penalty for taco bell? Serious question.

6. rayfieldclement

rayfieldclement Senior member

7. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

WOW, what a timely bump. Just started doing fries at home.

I need a fry thermometer or a deep fryer with temperature control. Anyone got a suggestion?

8. FelixDeCat

FelixDeCat Lifer

Man I cant believe how quickly this year is going by. April now feels like so long ago. :(

9. darkewaffle

darkewaffle Diamond Member

Amused me.

10. Howard

Howard Lifer

A "normal consumption" would be a diet too.

11. Vic Vega

Vic Vega Diamond Member

Home made French fries are probably one of the absolute easiest foods to cook, right up there with toast.

12. Fritzo

Fritzo Lifer

Not really. You have to use a lot of the right kind of oil, and you have to get the oil hot enough. Otherwise you end up with nasty tasting mush.

Grapeseed oil, lard, or peanut oil are needed for their high smoke point. You have to completely submerge the fries, and you have not make sure you don't add too many at a time. It's a big mess.

13. Sonikku

Sonikku Lifer

NO, I don't make French Fries from scratch. I make FREEDOM FRIES from scratch you fucking Liberal. Freedom Fries distinctly lack the pungent oder of Surrender and Fail.

14. Gothgar

Gothgar Lifer

bulk.... lard????

15. Vic Vega

Vic Vega Diamond Member

I can make a huge batch of fries inside 15 minutes from scratch. High smoke point oils are easily obtainable at the grocery store with the other oils. A fry cutter is like a buck at the dollar store, you do not need to fully submerge the fries, just give them a spin. My fries are awesome, better than any fast food joint. Home made fries are so stupidly simple a child could do it.

16. PowerYoga

PowerYoga Diamond Member

easy to make, pain in the butt to clean up all the splatters and whatever though.

17. Vic Vega

Vic Vega Diamond Member

Got mine at Big Lots for a buck some years ago.

[​IMG]

18. SphinxnihpS

SphinxnihpS Diamond Member

19. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

I've never soaked the cut potatoes for hours prior to making french fries. I've always known to cook twice though.

Is it worth it? I'm cooking a fish fry tonight with beer battered bluegill. I could start cutting the french fries now if it would be worth it.

20. SphinxnihpS

SphinxnihpS Diamond Member

Read the article I re-quoted above and decide.

21. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

the best fries ive made were batter dipped. those were amazing, and amazing messy and time consuming (cant dump them all in the fryer at once or theyll stick together)

but realistically, i buy the fries frozen now. the ingredients are the same, its just potatoes. and freezing them doesnt hurt their texture so i just fail to see the real advantage to fresh fries. its the same thing, and frozen are SO much easier.

and i dont even deep fry the frozen ones much anymore. just bake the shit out of them in the toaster oven. they come out super crispy and not greasy. love it.

22. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

just go to the store and buy a 2 lbs of fries for $3 frozen. its the same thing.

23. Saint Nick

Saint Nick Lifer

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

24. Modelworks

Modelworks Lifer

slice potatoes without peeling, toss in hot lard,, nothing hard or tedious about it