Have you ever made a loaf of bread?

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I haven't. But I remember being 6 and my mom making bread. I can still smell it and it was so awesome.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Never did normal bread, but I have done banana bread. Being single I can't go through a loaf of bread before it goes bad, so I don't really buy premade bread loafs either. Sometimes I'll buy one of those "sun maid" raisin bread loafs though, they are smaller so I can manage to go through it before it goes bad.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Never did normal bread, but I have done banana bread. Being single I can't go through a loaf of bread before it goes bad, so I don't really buy premade bread loafs either. Sometimes I'll buy one of those "sun maid" raisin bread loafs though, they are smaller so I can manage to go through it before it goes bad.
I buy naan bread and keep it in the fridge, just heat them up for a minute or so in a frying pan (plain) nice and fluffy fresh naan

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Yep, made it many times. All by hand without a bread machine.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yep, many times. My mom taught me to make bread when I was a kid and I married a baker...

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Yeah a couple of times, only really liked the end product the one time, should work on this

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
i need some hot bread with butter so it melts so damn quick.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I have tried and yet fail miserably most times lol. I can cook a lot oh things but I am no baker.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Like any cool family in the 90's, my parents also had a bread machine. My mom made some pretty cool stuff in that sucker. I miss the cheesy bread the most.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My grandmother, from Maine, used to make coffee can bread. She saved metal coffee cans and made what she called brown bread in them. She'd let the bread cool and then pop the plastic lid back on the can....she'd typically do 2-3 loaves at a time and freeze 1-2 of them. The bread was similar to honey/wheat or whatever...but I think she put brown sugar or molasses in it along with yeast to make the bread rise. It was good stuff with fresh butter.

You can buy frozen loaves of unbaked bread in the freezer section of the grocery store. Basically, you just pop the frozen dough in a loaf pan and let it thaw/rise in 4-5 hours....then bake. I did this in high school and was pretty happy with having fresh bread that was cheap/easy.

I bought a book about 10 years ago called healthy bread in 5 minutes a day. It covered how to get a starter going and use it to bake fresh loaves. To make crispy bread, you need a steam oven....or a pan of water in the bottom of a hot oven. I used a pizza baking stone and preheated to 450 for 30 minutes before baking...steam and a hot oven are key. The healthy bread book asked for wheat flour, white flour (mixed with wheat), and rye flour in the recipes. It takes a lot of dedication and special ingredients if you start getting specific on the bread you bake...but if you get a decent white/wheat recipe and practice it/get it down....many variations will use the same base recipe. That means, once you master a particular recipe, you can turn around and just replicate it with different added ingredients to make specialty loaves. This is especially so if you do breakfast type breads.

Quick breads are a different story. They're leavened with baking powder or baking soda and can be over mixed (where yeast bread needs to be kneeded). Just gotta practice and learn as you go. I'd like to make bread and beer for a living, but competition makes both difficult/risky ventures.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I've made several. Once you learn how to use yeast it's very simple. This lady isn't the best presenter but it's the technique I use:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Yes, I have made bread the old fashioned way (without a bread machine-which is yet another appliance I don't own and have no use for).