Have you ever changed parties?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Have you switched parties?

• Yes, from democrat to republican

• Yes, from republican to democrat

• No

• Back and forth multiple times

Results are only viewable after voting.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
Mostly I vote D but I will vote L when they're on the ballot, a few times R. Ultimately I choose the candidate I perceive as the least threatening to my civil liberties.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
How anyone can claim that the democrats are more "libertarian" than republicans I have no idea...
Today they may not be always, but Clinton and Carter were much more fiscally conservative than their Republican successors. Obama regulates too much, but he hasn't spent as much as Bush did... even though the former's deficits are just higher they're not the problem because the spending and regulations are.

That said, I don't see why Romney wouldn't continue the Republican trend of being anti-market. I mean, the only reason Rob McDonnell has gotten a surplus in VA is because the State of VA got more revenue (due to the State of VA and the Federal govt artificially increasing employment in VA) but he never really cut any meaningful spending... VA simply benefits too damn much from the federal govt so that also allows VA to have a balanced budget. However, the budget doesn't need to be balanced because they can just borrow the money and not have the power to centrally tax... that way, public spending would have to be slashed because no one would continue to loan the State of VA money. The deficits would wind up being lower anyway just like they were under the Articles of Confederation compared to the Federalist Party's budget deficits. Once you give a govt the power to collect revenue by force of arms, then it can spend and borrow too much. Even if the govt could just print and borrow money but not tax, there is no way the govt could be powerful that way in the long term... creditors to the govt would stop loaning because they'll want a return on their money which they can only get through revenue collection.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006
I can NEVER be on the GOP ticket until the drop the social conservative bullshit. But im down with the small government, fiscal conservative talk. Libertarian probably suits me best, but they are missing a few cards as well (unregulated free market crap).

Social issues are important to me so between the 2 big parties if i had to id vote Dem. But i dont vote because of the EC.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
No, I've never joined a party. That said, I'm "green party" at heart, but wind up voting for democrats most of the time.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Have always been a Democrat. I'd say I'm more centrist than a lot of the party, though. I've been bothered by the populist streaks pushed by the loudest voices on both sides. Both the Occupiers and the Tea Partiers strike me as dangerously irrational.

Feb 6, 2007
Its insane for everyone to pay a fair tax? It seems to me that the democrats are the most insane, they dont make anyone but the rich pay taxes. How exactly is that "everryones fair share?"
When I said economic policy, I didn't just mean taxation. But I do disagree with their idea of a "fair" tax, since I don't find their interpretation of fair is the same as mine. I also don't like their policies of isolationism in our increasingly global economy, or the idea that a truly free market is the answer to all our troubles, or their position on what services the government should provide. There is a huge rift between their economic policy and my own idea of what needs to be done. Which is a shame, because I really like their stance on social and personal issues, ie, let everything be allowed and let people choose for themselves what they want to do with their lives.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Long ago when I lived in FL almost everyone was a registered Democrat. I.e., the 'real' race was the primary. Whoever won the Dem primary was guaranteed to win the general. So, I registered Dem to have a vote. That, of course, is for state and local elections (including US Senators and House members). The Presidential election was different; people crossed party lines all the time back then.

Where I live now it's the Repub party. The Dems who move here re-register to Repub so they can have a meaningful vote or run for office.

So, yes I've switched.

Fern

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
My father was active in the Republican party back in Ohio when I was growing up. Seeing politics from the inside is interesting. When I could vote I registered Republican. But I've never voted Repub straight ticket. Don't care for either party, as a party. Don't hate either party as a party either.

Switched to Democrat when I was married because my ex was a fanatic democrat.

I vote whoever I like, no matter which party. Local elections are far more important. Still don't know who I'm going for this November, but it doesn't matter - I'm in NJ

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
I was a Dem in grad school. Then a guy pulled a gun on me while working the front desk of a motel at night. The guy was a homeless, black guy I felt sorry for, and so I let him sleep in the lobby bathroom at night. I saw the nation as a whole after that. Libs help many of the wrong people in the wrong way, and make them worse because they have a "there there its not your fault" attitude that robs people of incentive to self examine and change. Lots of welfare peopel secretly hate their lib saviors because they KNOW they make them worse.

I'll add I was also might high about myself for helping a homeless person. That's the secret about what a lot of liberalism is. Its not about helping people up - its about secretly enjoying the fact people are down so that there is someone to save and afford the helper a better self image (and secretly libs loathe themselves - a reason they cant resist enemies and end up supporting them).

Two weeks after I left the motel job the homeless guy shot the guy who took my place (shot him in arm - he lived). Part of that shoting was my fault because my "help" had spoiled a guy who was really just a dirtbag who deserved no sympathy at all

You are in the correct place it seems, supporting the party of vulture corporations. Congrats, you moved on from helping just small time crooks. ;)

This post wins "Dumbass conservative who doesent know his own best best interests from a hole in the ground and blames everyone else." of the year award. Congrats. Too bad about that other clerk.

Last edited:

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Was a registered Democrat since forever, changed to independent. Going to vote Democrat for national offices and Independent/Democrat/Libertarian for state ones.

If we can get a Libertarian Attorney General in Oregon that would be pure win :D

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Was a registered Democrat until maybe late eighties/early nineties; although I was a Reagan Democrat, he's practically the only Republican for whom I ever voted above the local level. But the more I got into politics and paid attention to what was happening, the more disgusted I became with what the Democrats actually do. I switched to the Pubby Party (don't even remember the incident now) but I generally vote Libertarian as I am very libertarian socially. I'm a South Park Republican; I hate the Republican Party marginally less than I hate the Democrat Party, so the Libertarians (having no freakin' chance of gaining power) are my safe compromise. Where else is a fiscally conservative, socially libertarian, radical conservationist/populist gonna go?

Until there's a Democrat Presidential candidate as good as Jim Sasser or Zell Miller, or a Republican Presidential candidate as repugnant (in political views, not personally) as Rick Santorum, I'll be voting Libertarian or Republican in everything above a local level.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
I switched from Republican to Democrat. I voted for Bush twice. I was so excited when Republicans gained complete control in Bush's first term, because I thought the perfect conservative vision I had would finally come to pass. Instead, the Republicans exposed themselves as frauds. They are only small government when they are out of power. Bush's 8 years were disaster. The economy was worse off, the deficit was worse off, our foreign policy footing was worse off, etc. How could the next Republican possibly expect my vote after that? By promising they are a REAL conservative? At least democrats dont attempt to hide what they are, even if you dont like it. I'm tired of pointing fingers at the poor, Mexicans, gays, Muslims, Atheists, etc, which is what the right wing seems to always steer you toward. Maybe Moonbeam's self hate stuff finally sunk in, because I have started feeling compassion for those that are disadvantaged or underprivileged, as opposed to turning my nose up at them, something completely absent on the far right, which is where the Republican platform has been headed.

If anyone wants a laugh, search for the post history of MrGrim257. I was an obnoxious little prick.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I am a Conservative and I have never really switched parties but I support a few of the Democrat ideals I didn’t used to like abortion. Gay people never really bothered me so why are we trying to tell them how to live their lives when it comes to marriage? Because of one line in the bible? And along those lines I am religious but don’t believe most things about the creation of the universe happened they way it is explained in the bible.

jmarti445

Dec 16, 2003
I was a republican from 96-99, a democrat from 2000-2012, and a recently joined the green party as I felt the Democratic party wasn't doing enough to protect the enviroment, the welfare and safety of the people and more so...I follow the green party mantra more so then I do any other party line.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I used to be a 100% dyed in the wool commie wanna-be in high school. At one point it dawned on me that liberals lie, and that everything I had been taught to believe was bullshit.

I even remember the exact moment when the doubt really broke out - I was watching a news report about a protest for some murderer on death row. The protestors were screaming that the guy was innocent, and was only on death row because he was black and how it was such a travesty yada yada. I told my dad I thought it was such a terrible injustice that this guy was on death row. Then he pointed out to me that they had the guy on video tape executing people with a shotgun at point blank range, and there were multiple eye witnesses, etc. And I just thought "...huh." From then on I started questioning everything I heard and came to realize how indoctrinated I was a few years later.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Easy answer: I'm smart enough not to join any party in the first place.

F'n sheep...

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
There should be more poll options. I was a hard charging neoconservative pre 2003 invasion but after having served in those wars and especially the invasion of Iraq I switched to the Libertarian party. When Ron Paul came along I had hopes that he would bring some sort of conservatism back to the GOP but that has been a war in its own right.

I am not a fan of parties in general but I am more in line with Libertarians than not.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Been a republican. Stayed a republican. Actually I registered as an Independent, but that's just so I can be cooler than everyone else. I've never voted for a democrat in my life.

I've switched on individual issues, though.

Last edited:

thelastjuju

Nov 6, 2011
Started as a Democrat, switched to Republican for a short time, now I see myself as an Independent for LIFE.

I'm disgusted by the amount of political pawns in both parties.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I've never been 100% for either. I vote for for the person, not the party.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I grew up considering myself a Republican, when there were still "liberals" in the Republican Party. By the time I reached voting age, I registered as an Independent, and kept that non-affiliation for decades.

But then Bush won a second term in 2004, which I wouldn't have thought possible. So, sometime before the next Presidential election in 2008, I switched my reg to Democrat to remind myself of the stakes, and "never again" for a clown like Bush.

I have often split my ticket when voting, but for some time now, for national office, I've found it hard to find a Republican candidate I can support.

Some of the Pa. Republicans I have supported in the past include Gov. Bill Scranton, and Senators Hugh Scott, Richard Schweiker, and Arlen Spector.